• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proposal: Gym Leader vs Gym Leader Series

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • This is a proposal for a series that focuses on what would happen if a Gym Leader of a specific generation was to square off against a similar type gym leader of a different generation. For example, if Blaine (Fire) of Gen 1 would face off against Flannery (Fire) of Gen 3. As such, if based on types, matchups would consist of:
    • Brock (Gen1) vs Roxanne (Gen3) vs Roark (Gen4) vs Grant (Gen6) [ROCK]
    • Misty (Gen1) vs Wallace (Gen3) vs Crasher Wake (Gen4) vs Cress (Gen5) vs Marlon (Gen5) [WATER]
    • Lt. Surge (Gen1) vs Wattson (Gen3) vs Volkner (Gen4) vs Elesa (Gen5) vs Clement (Gen6) [ELECTRIC]
    • Erika (Gen1) vs Gardenia (Gen4) vs Cilan (Gen5) vs (Gen6) [GRASS]
    • Koga (Gen1) vs Roxie (Gen5) [POISON]
    • Sabrina (Gen1) vs Tate & Liza (Gen3) vs Olympia (Gen6) [PSYCHIC]
    • Blaine (Gen1) vs Flannery (Gen3) vs Chili (Gen5) [FIRE]
    • Giovanni (Gen1) vs Clay (Gen5) [GROUND]
    • Faulkner (Gen2) vs Winona (Gen3) vs Skyla (Gen5) [FLYING]
    • Bugsy (Gen2) vs Burgh (Gen5) vs Viola (Gen6) [BUG]
    • Whitney (Gen2) vs Norman (Gen3) vs Lenora (Gen5) vs Cheren (Gen5) [NORMAL]
    • Morty (Gen2) vs Fantina (Gen4) [GHOST]
    • Chuck (Gen2) vs Brawly (Gen3) vs Maylene (Gen4) vs Korrina (Gen6) [FIGHTING]
    • Jasmine (Gen2) vs Byron (Gen4) [STEEL]
    • Pryce (Gen2) vs Candice (Gen4) vs Brycen (Gen5) vs Wulfric (Gen6) [ICE]
    • Claire (Gen2) vs Drayden (Gen5) [DRAGON]
    Omitted: Valerie (Gen6) [FAIRY]​
    For each matchup, the following would be considered:
    • 1v1 matchups (no doubles/triples)
    • Equal # of pokemon (so if a gym leader has 3 pokemon and another has 6, each will use 3)
    • Levels same (debating between 50 or 100; preevolutions should evolve/new movesets?)
    • (Updated) Moveset tendencies/Pokemon techniques[
    • IV/EV spreads (based on what panel of judges think would be best based on Pokemon's tendencies)
    A panel of competitive and battlers would help decide the Pokemon specifics and rules, and once completed a round robin simulation test would be conducted and then repeated to see if the results are valid and consistent. If it can be done on the Pokemon Battle Server, than the replays could be saved and included within the actual article for readers to view. Predictions could also be made before hand as to why said individual believed Gym Leader A would beat Gym Leader B, and then commentary on the results can be made to wrap up each article.

Obviously this is rough around the edges and I'd love feedback on this idea (as well as a possible name for the series if this is a good idea) to make it better. Lmk what you guys think!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • There really are 2 ways you could go about this

1. Use PWT data. Simple, somewhat balanced. Gen 6 leaders can be discussed as deemed appropriate by whoever is doing the testing. Also, if we do a double round-robin as proposed, the person who is testing for each GL should remain consistent for each battle in a RR but change for the second set.
    2. Simulate the battles. The Gen 3 Battle Dome is the example that comes to mind, where battles are won based on a number of factors (I can't find the PWT simulation rules). PWT data can probably still be used to balance. You can use the straight Battle Dome formula or make up your own.

The winners of each could then have a purely randomized tournament for lolz

Outside of that, my only comments are on the participants list. Here are my recommendations
    Wallace -> Juan: Wallace became a Champion and should be exempted on the same logic that Iris is.
    Giovanni -> None: Oh come on, are we REALLY counting Giovanni as a GL? He used 4 freaking wildcards.
    Cress, Chili, Cilan -> None: Laaaaaaame

I'd be happy to help with testing if you want :)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • It's an interesting idea! Sounds like it'd be a big fun project to tackle.

A panel of competitive and battlers would help decide the Pokemon specifics and rules, and once completed a round robin simulation test would be conducted and then repeated to see if the results are valid and consistent. If it can be done on the Pokemon Battle Server, than the replays could be saved and included within the actual article for readers to view. Predictions could also be made before hand as to why said individual believed Gym Leader A would beat Gym Leader B, and then commentary on the results can be made to wrap up each article.
    I like the idea of predictions. We could do a poll + discussion thread for each article prior to the testing on the BS, within the battling section I suppose (if not that, then PGC).

Who is on this panel - just anyone interested (and not necessarily the same people for every single typing), or people selected to run this article series...?

Outside of the battling aspect, we could also consider comparing the character or personality of the different contestants as well. Maybe this could be done in a string of articles; first up an article introducing each of the Gym Leaders up for battle, discussing what they are like, maybe a bit on their Gym designs, and so forth. Said article becomes the poll/discussion thread pre-battle simulations for people to say who should win in battling. Follow-up articles presents those opinions and the battling results, declaring who is the winner. Thoughts?
    Obviously this is rough around the edges and I'd love feedback on this idea (as well as a possible name for the series if this is a good idea) to make it better. Lmk what you guys think!
    Hmm...
    Best of the Best: [type] Gym Leaders (cut out '[type]' for the article series)
    Pokemon World Tournament: [type] Gym Leaders (going off the Pokemon B2W2 games!)
    Gym Leader Showdown
    Pokemon World Tournament: Gym Leader Showdown (A combination of the above two)
    The best there ever was: [type] Gym Leaders.
    Outside of that, my only comments are on the participants list. Here are my recommendations
    Wallace -> Juan: Wallace became a Champion and should be exempted on the same logic that Iris is.
    Giovanni -> None: Oh come on, are we REALLY counting Giovanni as a GL? He used 4 freaking wildcards.
    Cress, Chili, Cilan -> None: Laaaaaaame
    I agree on consistency re: Juan, although I feel both Iris and Wallace could be included. Either way.

Giovanni was a Gym Leader and used his type as much as Volkner did in DP. =p I feel he should stay in. And as lame as you may think the C trio are - they deserve to be in and shouldn't be omitted. ;p

Back