• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Discontinued: Pokémon Luola (Previously Cavern Adventures) [4/30/17] [Project Cancellation]

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2018
    Pokémon Luola
    SPJD7p2.png

Hack Info
    ROM BASE: FIRERED (U) SQUIRRELS v1.0
    (using the artificial RED Patch by Epsilon)
    DATE OF CREATION: 4/15/2017​

Updates​
    [5/20/17] Project put on halt. Working on something new (and playable).
    [[6/17/2017] Project cancelled. Working on a brand new hack! Promise it will be a lot better.​

Introduction
    Hi, I'm DOLCIEST! I'm an amateur ROM hacker who dreams of becoming one of the best! I accidentally stumbled upon PokéCommunity a few years back, but decided to leave due to academic related issues. Now, I want to take a return to ROM hacking and improve myself! However, I don't see myself as more of a scripter, and I enjoy mapping more, but it never hurts to learn! What I hope to learn from creating Pokémon Luola is to explore more with ROM hacking and not limit myself.

The Story

EXPLORE THE UNDERGROUND REGION OF KANTO NINE.
    You were just about to begin your journey around Kanto and Johto. Once you left the house, Pallet Town seems a bit... tired? Where was the liveliness you remembered as a child? You and your mother were filled in on the news... Viridian and Celadon were attacked by Team Rocket... it was quite dangerous and disgusting. Hundreds of lives, taken... thousands were misplaced, and the entire region had called for underground evacuation. You and your mother were forced to move underground,
    but that won't stop you. You decide to venture the large underground region. Just because it's underground, doesn't make it unexplorable.​

Features​
    Explore the two regions of Kanto Nine and Erthena!
    No *exact* storyline, just you and your adventurous senses!
    No gyms! There will be Challenge Centers! (Basically a gym... but not a gym?)
    1st-6th Generation Pokémon!
    Brand new moves, as well as some from the newer generations!
    Fairy types!
    Forgettable HMs! Finally!
    Relearnable TMs!
    Physical/Special split!
    Day/Night system!
    4th generation-like sprites!
    Indoor running!
    B/W Repel system!

Screenshots
    Spoiler:

The Team
    DOLCIEST - Everything​

Tools & Resources Used​
    FreeSpaceFinder by HackMew
    Advanced Trainer by HackMew
    XSE Script Editor by HackMew
    Advanced Map by LuHo
    Modified Advanced Map by GoGoJJTech
    Pokémon "artificial RED" ROM Base by Epsilon
    Pokémon Game Editor by Gamer2020
    Gen III Hack Suite by karatekid552
    TL's Quick Enhancer by The_learner
    VBA-M by idk

Bugs and Glitches​
    Do NOT open anything on the menu (your bag, Trainer Card) outside! It WILL glitch your game!
    Some Pokémon know Sacred Fire at very low levels. I can't edit it unless I can get my hands on the .ini for artificial RED, which I am pretty sure it doesn't exist anymore.
    Brock gives you TM Rock Tomb anyways if you keep talking to him, even if you haven't received the BoulderBadge in Soleace Hills yet. Doesn't affect gameplay.​

Status​
    Spoiler:

Downloads​

Beta 1.1 - Released on April 30, 2017
    Length: Three cities, two obtainable badges

MediaFire (.ups)
    Dropbox (.ups)
    solidsmeagol's Patch (.ups)
    My website

To play Pokémon Luola, please patch the .ups file with a clean FireRed (U) v1.0 SQUIRRELS ROM. I recommend Emuparadise's FireRed (U) Squirrels ROM.
    Do not use FireRed (U) v1.0 INDEPENDENT's ROM! It will not work, and the title screen will be all white.
    I recommend using NUPS to patch. When patching, be sure to click the option to "Ignore" under "If file is invalid", otherwise it won't work.

Q&A

Spoiler:

Final Message

Congradulations! You've reached the end of this beta! Thank you all so much for playing.
    Of course, please do leave commentary and constructive criticism if you'd like on PokéCommunity!
    Please report any bugs you can find! It helps me out, as well as the other players!
    Keep an eye out for the next beta... this is one project I'll never abandon!
    Please, do not save in any CAVERNS, CITIES, or HILLS.
    They may have been changed to fix bugs or any inconvenience.
    Remember, always save in PokéMarts as they have a 100% chance of having no modification at all!
    Again, thank you all!

Pokémon Luola
    xo DOLCIEST

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2022
    @DOLCIEST
    When creating a patch with NUPS, you're supposed to use FireRed as the original file, and your hacked rom as the edited file. I think you may have used the same rom in both fields.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2018
    That's weird... whenever I patch it, it seems to work perfectly fine... I probably messed something up in the process. I promise to fix this tonight! I apologize for any inconvenience I have caused.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2018
    Hi, everybody!

I'm bumping this thread to update that Beta 1.1 of Pokémon Luola is out! I have solved the patching problem (hopefully), and I'm confident that it'll work this time! I've removed the links to Beta 1, because they don't even work anyways. Everything has been renamed, Pokémon from first to sixth generations are included, and much more features will be coming soon! This beta only goes up to the second gym in Soleace Hills. Beta 1.2 will include bug fixes (if there are any), tile fixes, as well as text errors.

I hope you enjoy the beta! It's available on MediaFire as well as Dropbox in a .ups patch.
    Remember, patch with a clean FireRed (U) v1.0 ROM. Patching with a v1.1 ROM will not work.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2022
    The one you PM'd me works flawlessly.
    I'm super busy today, so I'll be checking it out later. But I did notice a couple of things-
    -Bulbasaur evolves at level 6. Was this intended?
    -Mom doesn't force you to take the running shoes.
    -When you're entering a cave facing north, you expect to be facing north after you're inside it. Not really a major thing, but yeah.

Also, I believe you're using the "1695 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Independent)" rom after all. I was able to make this ups patch from it-
    MediaFire

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2018
    The one you PM'd me works flawlessly.
    I'm super busy today, so I'll be checking it out later. But I did notice a couple of things-
    -Bulbasaur evolves at level 6. Was this intended?
    -Mom doesn't force you to take the running shoes.
    -When you're entering a cave facing north, you expect to be facing north after you're inside it. Not really a major thing, but yeah.

Also, I believe you're using the "1695 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Independent)" rom after all. I was able to make this ups patch from it-
    MediaFire

Thank you so much for reporting these bugs to me! I can't really change the Pokémon data since I don't have the .ini for artificial RED's ROM base, so I can't edit any data, other than mapping wild Pokémon. I'm not sure how to force Mom to give the player Running Shoes since I'm still on the basics of learning scripts and the movement command is broken for me. When I'm creating a cavern, I tend to just create another hole in the north because when I create an exit, it doesn't work. I'm not entirely sure if I'm using Independent, though. I'm certain that I'm using (U) Squirrels, but I might have mislabeled one of the base ROMs. Thank you for sharing your information with me, I will try my best to fix these!

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    After the intro it shows a black screen and I did everything I was supposed to. Used NUPS, got the right Rom from the site you suggested and everything. Though I am using VisualBoyAdvance-1.8.0-beta3 to play it. Is there a different one I should use? NOCASH don't work either.

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2018
    After the intro it shows a black screen and I did everything I was supposed to. Used NUPS, got the right Rom from the site you suggested and everything. Though I am using VisualBoyAdvance-1.8.0-beta3 to play it. Is there a different one I should use? NOCASH don't work either.

That's weird..

Have you tried solidsmeagol's patch? I haven't tried it out myself yet. Perhaps that patch would work out for you. I'll try to fix the patch problems again instead of focusing on game development since it's an issue everybody is facing.

Back