• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Dexit

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • i'm not all that bothered and it's definitely not something worth harassing the devs over. like. get over it? in the large scheme of things, it's a fucking video game. you have every right to be disappointed, absolutely. but to shit on the devs and act like this is some kind of crime? at that point, i'd argue you should just skip the game. but that aside, no, i'm not bothered. like yeah it sucks bc i'm pretty weird about wanting EVERYTHING to be included in order for things to feel complete, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game. and i figured it would be inevitable one day bc like. yeah there are a lot of pokemon now. it's just going to get more difficult from here on out and i think it should be expected that some generations will see cuts. it would be nice if the rest of what isn't in the game gets added eventually either through DLC or events, but it isn't something i'm gunning for either.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • you have every right to be disappointed, absolutely. but to shit on the devs and act like this is some kind of crime? at that point, i'd argue you should just skip the game.
    This. Basically, if I had any big complaint about Dexit, it's how some people received the news, and took things too far. It was pretty unfortunate to see and I remember people I knew saying pretty bad general things about people who were Pokémon fans. I'm glad we seem to be past it now that the DLC is out, for the most part.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2020
    i'm not all that bothered and it's definitely not something worth harassing the devs over. like. get over it? in the large scheme of things, it's a fucking video game. you have every right to be disappointed, absolutely. but to shit on the devs and act like this is some kind of crime? at that point, i'd argue you should just skip the game.

This also angered me, even more so. When I heard that people were threatening and harassing the devs, on Twitter, I KNEW exactly what was going to happen in the general public's view. Firstly, these idiots that had the gall to threaten the lives of the devs and harass them over the game will immediately paint a horrible picture to casual onlookers, and the defenders of the game, that ALL people supporting Dexit are like this. Second, it further double down on giving the devs a pass for how badly they handle the situation. Under no circumstances should either parties, arguing their stances, should EVER try to harm, or threaten to harm, anyone. However, criticism has a right to exist, especially if it reveals an ongoing trend of questionable choices from the devs. Their actions can effect the franchise as a whole, good or bad.

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2023
    This. Basically, if I had any big complaint about Dexit, it's how some people received the news, and took things too far. It was pretty unfortunate to see and I remember people I knew saying pretty bad general things about people who were Pokémon fans. I'm glad we seem to be past it now that the DLC is out, for the most part.

I completely agree. Dexit genuinely didn't bother me in the slightest. I always try to go through new Pokemon games without touching any Pokemon from an older gen on my first playthrough if possible anyway. I just don't really understand all the hate, I suppose. If you wanted to use all your old favourite Pokemon, then play their gen.

Granted, like you said, the expansions have definitely helped and I think eased a lot of concern from those bothered by it.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I completely agree. Dexit genuinely didn't bother me in the slightest. I always try to go through new Pokemon games without touching any Pokemon from an older gen on my first playthrough if possible anyway. I just don't really understand all the hate, I suppose. If you wanted to use all your old favourite Pokemon, then play their gen.

Granted, like you said, the expansions have definitely helped and I think eased a lot of concern from those bothered by it.
    That's often been the case in other games too, with the notable BW being only new Pokemon... until postgame. See, in those games, you could transfer your old favourites, use them in postgame, competitive, etc one way or another in the end, even if it was after the main adventure (see: FRLG).

But in SwSh, you outright couldn't send over any Pokemon outside of the Galar dex into the game. This eventually has changed to an extent, but still over 200 Pokemon (so over 1/5th) are currently unavailable. And before the DLC updates, several Pokemon that people felt would make sense to be in a UK based region, e.g. the Stoutland line, were nowhere to be seen.

So SwSh differs from any other previous main series game - they allowed previous generation Pokemon to be used eventually. As it stands, over 200 Pokemon still cannot be even moved to the game via Home. It's a different deal to before, because you can still choose to use new Pokemon or not (sans BW pre-E4) in every other game - but every other game allowed a way for all previous-gen Pokemon in, by the end of the gen. Thus far, it isn't true for SwSh.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I hadn't really considered it from the point of view of someone who doesn't do competitive battles. What really annoyed me about is the thought of all of the Pokemon I have spent hundreds of hours breeding, some for shinies as well, just sitting in Pokemon Home for no reason other than GF cut corners. They did cut corners whether it was their decision or TPC, they, in my opinion, rushed the game out for the holiday when it could have used a couple of more months to work in the Pokemon models THAT THEY ALREADY HAD and fix textures.

pkmin3033

I have a question for those who are not bothered by this, because I am genuinely curious and would love to see the responses: at what point WOULD Dexit have become a problem for you?

Would you have, for example, objected to a smaller roster of Pokemon than what the base game offered (say, if ONLY Gen VIII Pokemon and the outliers who got Gmax forms were included in the game, so it would have been around 100 Pokemon) or maybe if you had to pay for the Pokemon included in the free update?

I realise that's more than one question, but different people place greater emphasis on different things and I'm wondering what Sword and Shield did as a product - when they cut so many corners even outside of the Pokemon - to not upset some people when it came to cutting out something that really did not need to be cut. I'd be interested to know what people's hypothetical threshold would be for when Dexit would have become a problem and tainted their gameplay experience.

Alpha Snowdust

Eevee Enthusiast
    Years
    • She/Her or They/Them
    • Seen Jan 19, 2021
    Tbh I might be biased since Sword was my first game (long story), but I wasn't too happy about the Rockruff and Dratini lines not being included originally. I do understand how it can be frustrating though. I really want to move my shiny Pidgey from Let's Go to Sword but... you know...
    I think the line for me would've been Vulpix/Ninetales, Growlithe/Arcanine, Mimikyu, any of the Eeveelutions, Lapras, Clefable/Clefairy, Bounsweet/Steenee/Tsareena, Gastly/Haunter/Gengar, Riolu/Gengar, among a few others. I'm happy with a lot of the Pokemon they included in the DLCs though, but *pats her poor Pidgey*.

With your second question, I would've been mad. Mainly because of Eevee's evolutions. True, I've fallen in love with a bunch of Galar Pokemon (*coughs* I'm looking at you Wooloo, Sobble, Scorbunny, Yamper, and Nickit), but there's so many others... that I... I can't live without Eevee okay?

My little sister doesn't know completely about the Dexit. And the reason I haven't told her about the full extent of it is because she's perfectly happy right now with her Pokemon and I can't deal with her complaining. I just tell her that Galar just doesn't have a bunch of Pokemon native to other regions due to environment, etc. Kind of like how you wouldn't necessarily expect to see a cardinal in the Bay Area.

Years
  • Tbh I might be biased since Sword was my first game (long story), but I wasn't too happy about the Rockruff and Dratini lines not being included originally. I do understand how it can be frustrating though. I really want to move my shiny Pidgey from Let's Go to Sword but... you know...
    I think the line for me would've been Vulpix/Ninetales, Growlithe/Arcanine, Mimikyu, any of the Eeveelutions, Lapras, Clefable/Clefairy, Bounsweet/Steenee/Tsareena, Gastly/Haunter/Gengar, Riolu/Gengar, among a few others. I'm happy with a lot of the Pokemon they included in the DLCs though, but *pats her poor Pidgey*.

With your second question, I would've been mad. Mainly because of Eevee's evolutions. True, I've fallen in love with a bunch of Galar Pokemon (*coughs* I'm looking at you Wooloo, Sobble, Scorbunny, Yamper, and Nickit), but there's so many others... that I... I can't live without Eevee okay?

My little sister doesn't know completely about the Dexit. And the reason I haven't told her about the full extent of it is because she's perfectly happy right now with her Pokemon and I can't deal with her complaining. I just tell her that Galar just doesn't have a bunch of Pokemon native to other regions due to environment, etc. Kind of like how you wouldn't necessarily expect to see a cardinal in the Bay Area.

Being a Seahawk fan I can't help but notice the NFC West reference, intentional or not haha. I didn't really care a whole lot until I watched a video on how the took most models from the 3DS games and put them into SW/SH with minor to no changes to their models. That pissed me off. So you have working models that you CAN but into the game but choose to paywall them instead? I have a hard time believing that is wasn't to push the DLC because honestly, the DLC was bad I just wanted more Pokemon to transfer from home.

The DLC stories could not have carried them so they had to put some of the most beloved Pokemon in with them to push them, I wouldn't have paid for a deer riding a horse otherwise...

Back