• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon that were surprising useful to you

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    You ever catch a pokemon and have second thoughts about it but then it proved you wrong?

I was playing through Eternal X, and I'm surprised how much physical damage Furfrou can take with Fur Coat. It was probably the most useful, and my party wasn't comprised of jobbers either. It makes a good revenge killer with Retaliate too.

Last edited:

Zero-G

on the fly
    Years
  • Volbeat.

"oh it's just a weird singletype bug, probably won't ever use"
    >get challenged by friend to use volbeat
    "holy *self censoring* this thing deserves props"

Years
  • I keep planning on dropping Victreebel in my LGE team, and it keeps coming up as one of my most reliable Pokemon. Maybe it's because I have an aversion to using Grass types other than starters, but I never really considered using one in the past, and I've found that it packs a pretty decent punch as both a physical and special attacker.

Years
  • plusle. used one against a friend when we were battling for fun and it did better than i expected. especially if you power up with nasty plot

Years
    • Seen today
    Stoutland.

It's probably the best "first route" Pokemon I've ever used. Almost nothing survives after it uses Return, it can receive elemental fangs so it gets type coverage, and because I have Excadrill on my team with Sandstorm, it's speed can be doubled.

Years
  • Audino in PMD: Gates to Infinity was a fucking lunatic. Turned the tide quicker than Poseidon. The winning combination was like so:

Take Down - bam! You're a daisy pusher.
    Heal Pulse - gave my bank account a chance to regenerate, not unlike an axolotl.
    Refresh - paralysis has never been more brief.
    Helping Hand - empowers the whole party to wipe out everything on the floor.

And Girafarig from Pearl was an overlord with that Stomp and Psybeam of his, and Munchlax has proven more than useful in Ultra Sun if not downright almighty. Furfrou is another shocker in terms of ability.

But Amaura and it's evolution are incapable of winning against a badly poisoned Shedinja. Engage them at your own peril.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Primeape in Lets Go. I had no intention on using it but it ended up being on my final team and was pretty solid!

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Charjabug. I only kept it because of my sentiments towards it, but it's proved to be a decent physical tank.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • A Persian I used in a past SS playthrough, Fake Out + Technician proved to be incredibly useful later on in the game.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • My Watchog in Black 2 absolutely wrecked shop - he was even the one to defeat Black Kyurem (annihilate it, actually). I don't remember all his moves, but I know he had Hyper Fang sorry, I meant Super Fang - that move is seriously underrated.

Last edited:

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • For the longest time I've regarded the Chikorita line as automatic worse starters "because its Chikorita." Getting one in an Y wonderlocke I expected it to be cannon fodder at best yet it's probably the reason I completeled the run so comfortably; excellent support mon with dual screens, powders and leech seeds to aid the heavier hitters in the squad

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • For the longest time I've regarded the Chikorita line as automatic worse starters "because its Chikorita." Getting one in an Y wonderlocke I expected it to be cannon fodder at best yet it's probably the reason I completeled the run so comfortably; excellent support mon with dual screens, powders and leech seeds to aid the heavier hitters in the squad

You just reminded me - one of the most awesome moments I've ever had in Pokemon was in SoulSilver, when my Meganium tanked an Aeroblast from Lugia with HP to spare.
    Don't sleep on the leaf dinos, guys.

Back