• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top Pokemon series/region

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Yeah, and as long as Misty actually pursues her goals this time around and isn't forced back into the gym again, I could care less about the redesign (even though I personally hate SM's art style). In fact, my main gripe with SM isn't merely the art change, it's the fact that Ash is basically forced out of his Pokémon Master goal and forced to go to school again. While Misty and to a lesser extent Brock returning is indeed a good thing, especially if Misty, even if it's a temporary reappearance, is at least not going to be holed up in the gym again and able to pursue her Water Pokémon Master goal for the first time since GCYL, I don't think I can forgive SM for forcing Ash out of the Pokémon Master business and becoming a student. Now, who knows, maybe if they reintroduce gyms in SM, and have Ash actually partake in them, I'll forgive SM, but until then, while SM does indeed come slightly better with Misty and Brock returning, it's still a mess overall that may have tarnished the series beyond repair.

Eh, Misty's design's at least better than Ash's under that art style, even though I do agree the art style overall was just terrible. And either way, I can tolerate the art style on Misty so long as she's at LEAST allowed to pursue her goal this time around and not be forced back into the gym again, especially if she leaves. Even if it's only 20th anniversary fanservice, as long as she's allowed to pursue her Water Pokémon Master goal, I won't mind the redesign one bit. That's also what I hate about Ash in SM. I could forgive an art style change. What I CANNOT forgive is them outright forcing Ash to put his master goal on the sidelines and become a student. And regarding slice-of-life plots, Dragon Ball Super did that FAR better than this does. Maybe if Ash actually WON Kalos beforehand, I probably won't mind slice-of-life plots. What they did to Ash is actually essentially the same thing as what they did to Misty in GCYL. Arguably even worse in his case, considering we have to see the results of that decision literally every single episode of the series. At least with Misty, the only time we actually see the painful results of the writers' decision to force her into a gym was with the gym battles in AG and BW, not to mention A Real Cleffa-Hanger where she's literally forced to return to the gym AGAIN.

SM anime series wasn't going to be that good in the first place and the art style isn't really all that good either. XY/XYZ series was also terrible aswell, the character designs weren't anybetter then the SM designs, also the animation in XY/XYZ anime series were really terrible and the characters were very boring without any good personality.

Good that Misty and Brock is coming back to the anime, because they were the greatest characters to ever be part of the OS.

The Original series is more popular because it was the series that started the whole entire anime and the Original trio Ash/Misty/Brock were the best. The Advance Generation/Diamond Pearl/Best Wishes/XY/SM series are not popular at all.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
The original is viewed highly by a majority because it's the one they started with/grew up with so it has the nostalgia factor working with it. It's similar with Power Rangers, long time fans consider some later seasons to be better than Mighty Morphin and it does have its flaws like the Pokémon OS does, but Mighty Morphin is highly regarded by a majority because it's the one that started it all.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
So I felt an updated list was in order and this time I'm including Sun and Moon since we have 40 Episodes down and that's long enough for 1 Season(Season 6 or Pokemon Advanced was that long). I will also be introducing a grading rubric based on the following 5 criteria on a scale of 1-10.

1) Ash's Companions: Will grade them on Chemistry and their progression towards their goals.
2) Series OST: Opening Themes(including their longer versions that appear in their respective Pokemon Movies) and OST that appears in the Anime will be judged here. Some were excellent while others were a bit hard on the ears and fell flat.
3) Rivals: Some rivals were great, others... not so much. How well did they push our beloved protagonist and this includes those meant for our Female Protagonist.
4) Antagonist Groups: Their Schemes as well as characters play a pivotal role as to whether a series is memorable. Most did a decent job, although some more so than others.
5) Champions and Gym Leaders: Some Champions and Gym Leaders stood out from the rest. This includes Battle Frontier where some gave Ash a real challenge and others were downright pushovers.

Kalos Region(XY/XYZ or Seasons 17 to 19). Score: 10/9/9/10/9.5 for a 47.5 out of 50.

Where do I begin with this series. The family atmosphere this group exhibits makes me want to watch this series over and over. The Wife Gag with Bonnie, Bill Nye the Science Guy Clemont and the Bashful Serena made this group unique. Serena's progression from a timid secondary character to one of confidence and determination made me respect her as the main Female lead. As such they earned a perfect score for Companions. When it came to the OST and Opening Themes, this series had some really good ones. Dori Dori is memorable for Serena and the XYZ theme is great(particularly its Japanese version). My only knock on it is that for the English Dub of Season 17 they reused Season 1's lyrics with a different vocalist and therefore docked them a point for creativity. As for rivals, Sawyer and Alain were great. Not only did they push Ash hard near the end of the series but their battles in the League Tournament were awesome. As for Serena, her rivals were great as well. Shauna and Miette stood out with Miette adding that extra Amourshipping flavor that made any Episode she was in worth watching. As for Antagonist Groups, I gave extremely high marks to Team Flare as Lysander was insane. As for Champions and Gym Leaders, this region scored exceptionally well. Diantha was a superb Champion and virtually every Gym Leader tested Ash to the fullest. I only docked it a half a point because I thought the battle with Clemont should have been exclusively Electric Types(being an Electric Gym, hence no Bunnelby). Despite that, it takes my #1 spot(albeit barely).

Sinnoh Region(Diamond and Pearl or Seasons 10 to 13). Score: 10/9/10/9/9 for a 47 out of 50.

Diamond and Pearl is arguably the best series for a lot of Pokemon fans and I can understand why. When it came to the group, Dawn and Brock were just awesome. Although Brock changed career goals at the end of this series, his path towards a Breeder was proceeding well as he raised a Happiny from an Egg to evolve into a Chansey. Tack on his classic Cassanova routine(with Croagunk in tow) and his Frying Pan as a Drying Pan and well you know the rest. As for Dawn, talk about a metamorphosis. Goes from a cocky and inexperienced trainer to one of confidence and passionate determination. Her consecutive defeats showed a dark and ugly side to her that ultimately made her more relatable to us fans. Finally, lets not forget her nickname: Diamond Dandruff. Talk about unique and a perfect 10 for companions. As for OST and other works within the Anime, there were a lot of original and creative works, most notably Dawn's Contest Theme that makes me want to watch her Contests over and over. I took a point off because Season 10's English intro could have been better frankly but the next two(We Were Heroes and Galactic Battles) were just superb. With regards to rivals, had to give a perfect score here. Paul is arguably the best rival Ash has ever had. Brutally crude and unforgiving in his training methods and yet got the results he wanted by beating Ash at every opportunity(until the League Tournament of course... which made the result even more satisfying). As for Dawn's rivals, Zoey, Kenny, Nando and Ursula were great in their own respects. Zoey and Kenny in particular because they even put Ash in his place on a few occasions(hasn't been done since if I'm not mistaken). Team Galactic was a superb Antagonist Group but I docked a point off of them because they used Hunter J to achieve their goals and objectives. As for Gym Leaders and Champions... just wow. Cynthia is an awesome champion and arguably the best there is. I took a point off the Gym Leaders because even though some gave Ash a rough time, I didn't quite think they challenged him as hard as those in Kalos. Overall though... a solid series and earns second place.

Hoenn Region(Advanced or Seasons 6 to 9). Score: 7/9/8/8/9 for a 41 out of 50

Pokemon Advanced was the first series where they changed things up. Not only was Ash going to a new region but Ash also had a new Female Lead in May. May was a good companion but I thought they botched her early on with her dislike of Pokemon and then suddenly liking them(how did that happen?). I also didn't like her being sad after losing a contest one minute and being all bubbly and happy like nothing ever happened a few minutes later. They fixed that in the next series with Dawn, which is why I took a few points off. Brock was same as always and progressed by raising a Bonsly into a Sudowoodo. As for Max... I took an additional point off because I just couldn't stand Max. Max was frankly a useless fourth wheel that served no purpose other than to pull Brock away from his daily wooing of girls. May could have done that while also showcasing the new Coordinator arc. As for OST and other scores, I thought Advanced Generation did great in this regard. Lots of new content and scores that I really liked, including Hoenn Heroes and the openings for Season 7 and 8. Took a point off for Season 6(didn't like it) and Battle Frontier could have been a bit better in my eyes. With regards to rivals, Tyson and Morrison didn't exactly come across as major rivals for Ash, hence I docked a few points. Could have been lower were it not for May's rivals being exceptional. Drew, Harley and Solidad were all great Coordinators(and I still ship DrewxMay). As for Antagonist groups, Team Magma and Team Aqua were decent but they basically competed against one another for the top group in the region. Their goals also conflicted with one another and frankly having two groups was one group too many, hence docked a couple points. As for Champions and Gym Leaders, Steven as the Champion was solid. Even appears in Kalos to help against Team Flare(and for ORAS promotion I would assume) but I took a point off because these Gym Leaders didn't exactly put up much of a fight against Ash. Would have taken off more but then there was the Battle Frontier and well that was awesome. A solid third place in my latest rankings.

Kanto/Johto Region(Original Series or Seasons 1 to 5). Score: 9/9.5/7/8/7 for a 40.5 out of 50

With Brock and Misty returning in Sun and Moon, I went to watching the Original Series again and I must say the Nostalgia really impacted this ranking. The Chemistry between the three was great but I docked a point because the writers sadly ramrodded Misty into her Cerulean Gym Prison and the fact they replaced Brock with Tracey for 36 Episodes. Tracey is a character that could die and I wouldn't miss him one bit. As for OST and other music, this series started it all and I almost gave it a perfect score but docked half a point because the 2nd season theme(which is used for Pokemon Go if I'm not mistaken) was not as great as the other seasonal theme's(in my opinion). Favorite theme from the OS was Psyduck's. I would die if that is played in Sun and Moon. As for rivals, Gary Oak was solid but we didn't see him battle Ash until the end of Orange Islands or 116 Episodes into the series. Most rivals would have battled Ash long before then. Had to wait until the Johto Tournament before Ash finally got the chance to really face him(and ultimately defeat him). Yet after winning against Gary, Gary loses his rival status, which didn't befall other Ash rivals in the Anime, hence docked a few points. Then there is Ritchie and Harrison, two unknown Trainers who manage to defeat Ash out of the blue(which I dislike, hence docked a point). Team Rocket for an Antagonist group was decent but nothing spectacular was ever done that wow'd me. I mean sure Ash and the gang imitating them was classic(still waiting for Sun and Moon to do it....) but Team Rocket essentially had the weakest showing of all Antagonist groups. Yet despite that, I gave them high marks because it is Team Rocket after all ;). As for Champion of Kanto/Johto, Lance was ok but frankly they could have chosen someone else as Lance leads the Elite 4. The Gym Leaders in the Orange Islands were surprisingly decent but Johto and Kanto Gym Leaders left much to be desired(especially in Kanto). Outside of Clair, Whitney, Koga and Blaine, I thought the rest could have challenged Ash a bit more but eh its just my opinion. Solid 4th place finish considering where it was last time.

Unova Region(Black and White or Seasons 14 to 16). Score: 8/8/6/9/8 for a 39 out of 50

I rewatched this series and honestly, my feelings towards it soured. Iris and Cilan were decent companions and both of them developed as characters(especially Iris). However I had to dock a couple Companion points because "Your such a Kid" really drove me insane by the time I was a quarter of the way through the series. Yes we know he's a kid Iris... but so are you!!! As for OST and other scores, not too many to choose from, although I found its Season 15 theme to be the best. Season 14 fell flat to me(hence docked a couple points). What really hurt this series was the rivals. All of Ash's rivals, save for maybe Bianca, were just poorly designed and executed. Losing to Cameron with him having just 5 Pokemon... still the biggest disgrace in Pokemon anime history. Not even Iris' rival in Georgia or Cilan's rival in Burgandy can escape my wrath, earning this region a well deserved 6 for rival score. The lone bright spot for this region was Team Plasma and N. Were it not for this, Black and White might have scored much lower. As for Champions and Gym Leaders, Alder was a decent Champion but again the Gym Leaders could have done better in challenging Ash. Only Elesa and Roxie came across as decent Gym Leaders(to me anyway). Putting Ash's imbecile nature aside, this region deserves its current 5th place placement.

Alola Region(Sun and Moon or Season 20*Ongoing*). Score: 6/7/7/5/8 for a 33 out of 50

Finally to Sun and Moon and although I resisted placing this series initially I think its now time that I do so. It has the unique opportunity to move up in my rankings but it would have to do a great deal in order to do so because this series really has dug itself a hole. For starters, it suffers from too many characters syndrome. Sophacles is a pointless character and Mallow has been shafted by the writers. Heck even Lillie(who played a pivotal role in the games) has yet to take charge and separate herself(which is a shame but again this series has the unique opportunity to change things as its still ongoing). Kiawe and Lana really are the only bright spots so far and hence I give Companion score a 6. For OST/Themes, the English theme is ok but for Japanese they've reused the Original series song which although its good it lacks creativity and hence docked it a few points. Rest of the series soundtrack is meh so far, hence a score of 7. With regards to rivals, its still early but we've only had 1 instance between Ash and Gladion and it was interrupted. I could score it lower but I'll give it a score of 7. If there is anything that has plagued Sun and Moon so far, its the antagonist group. I could score it even lower but so far Team Skull has yet to impress(their theme isn't bad though). Plus Aether Foundation has yet to be introduced so I gave it a 5 out of pity. I suppose the lone bright spot in the series is the Kahuna's(as there are no Gym Leaders or Champion due to no League). Hala and Olivia both gave Ash a solid challenge but with there only being two so far, I can't give a perfect score(hence a respectable 8).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
So I felt an updated list was in order and this time I'm including Sun and Moon since we have 40 Episodes down and that's long enough for 1 Season(Season 6 or Pokemon Advanced was that long). I will also be introducing a grading rubric based on the following 5 criteria on a scale of 1-10.

1) Ash's Companions: Will grade them on Chemistry and their progression towards their goals.
2) Series OST: Opening Themes(including their longer versions that appear in their respective Pokemon Movies) and OST that appears in the Anime will be judged here. Some were excellent while others were a bit hard on the ears and fell flat.
3) Rivals: Some rivals were great, others... not so much. How well did they push our beloved protagonist and this includes those meant for our Female Protagonist.
4) Antagonist Groups: Their Schemes as well as characters play a pivotal role as to whether a series is memorable. Most did a decent job, although some more so than others.
5) Champions and Gym Leaders: Some Champions and Gym Leaders stood out from the rest. This includes Battle Frontier where some gave Ash a real challenge and others were downright pushovers.

Kalos Region(XY/XYZ or Seasons 17 to 19). Score: 10/9/9/10/9.5 for a 47.5 out of 50.

Where do I begin with this series. The family atmosphere this group exhibits makes me want to watch this series over and over. The Wife Gag with Bonnie, Bill Nye the Science Guy Clemont and the Bashful Serena made this group unique. Serena's progression from a timid secondary character to one of confidence and determination made me respect her as the main Female lead. As such they earned a perfect score for Companions. When it came to the OST and Opening Themes, this series had some really good ones. Dori Dori is memorable for Serena and the XYZ theme is great(particularly its Japanese version). My only knock on it is that for the English Dub of Season 17 they reused Season 1's lyrics with a different vocalist and therefore docked them a point for creativity. As for rivals, Sawyer and Alain were great. Not only did they push Ash hard near the end of the series but their battles in the League Tournament were awesome. As for Serena, her rivals were great as well. Shauna and Miette stood out with Miette adding that extra Amourshipping flavor that made any Episode she was in worth watching. As for Antagonist Groups, I gave extremely high marks to Team Flare as Lysander was insane. As for Champions and Gym Leaders, this region scored exceptionally well. Diantha was a superb Champion and virtually every Gym Leader tested Ash to the fullest. I only docked it a half a point because I thought the battle with Clemont should have been exclusively Electric Types(being an Electric Gym, hence no Bunnelby). Despite that, it takes my #1 spot(albeit barely).

Sinnoh Region(Diamond and Pearl or Seasons 10 to 13). Score: 10/9/10/9/9 for a 47 out of 50.

Diamond and Pearl is arguably the best series for a lot of Pokemon fans and I can understand why. When it came to the group, Dawn and Brock were just awesome. Although Brock changed career goals at the end of this series, his path towards a Breeder was proceeding well as he raised a Happiny from an Egg to evolve into a Chansey. Tack on his classic Cassanova routine(with Croagunk in tow) and his Frying Pan as a Drying Pan and well you know the rest. As for Dawn, talk about a metamorphosis. Goes from a cocky and inexperienced trainer to one of confidence and passionate determination. Her consecutive defeats showed a dark and ugly side to her that ultimately made her more relatable to us fans. Finally, lets not forget her nickname: Diamond Dandruff. Talk about unique and a perfect 10 for companions. As for OST and other works within the Anime, there were a lot of original and creative works, most notably Dawn's Contest Theme that makes me want to watch her Contests over and over. I took a point off because Season 10's English intro could have been better frankly but the next two(We Were Heroes and Galactic Battles) were just superb. With regards to rivals, had to give a perfect score here. Paul is arguably the best rival Ash has ever had. Brutally crude and unforgiving in his training methods and yet got the results he wanted by beating Ash at every opportunity(until the League Tournament of course... which made the result even more satisfying). As for Dawn's rivals, Zoey, Kenny, Nando and Ursula were great in their own respects. Zoey and Kenny in particular because they even put Ash in his place on a few occasions(hasn't been done since if I'm not mistaken). Team Galactic was a superb Antagonist Group but I docked a point off of them because they used Hunter J to achieve their goals and objectives. As for Gym Leaders and Champions... just wow. Cynthia is an awesome champion and arguably the best there is. I took a point off the Gym Leaders because even though some gave Ash a rough time, I didn't quite think they challenged him as hard as those in Kalos. Overall though... a solid series and earns second place.

Pokemon Advanced was the first series where they changed things up. Not only was Ash going to a new region but Ash also had a new Female Lead in May. May was a good companion but I thought they botched her early on with her dislike of Pokemon and then suddenly liking them(how did that happen?). I also didn't like her being sad after losing a contest one minute and being all bubbly and happy like nothing ever happened a few minutes later. They fixed that in the next series with Dawn, which is why I took a few points off. Brock was same as always and progressed by raising a Bonsly into a Sudowoodo. As for Max... I took an additional point off because I just couldn't stand Max. Max was frankly a useless fourth wheel that served no purpose other than to pull Brock away from his daily wooing of girls. May could have done that while also showcasing the new Coordinator arc. As for OST and other scores, I thought Advanced Generation did great in this regard. Lots of new content and scores that I really liked, including Hoenn Heroes and the openings for Season 7 and 8. Took a point off for Season 6(didn't like it) and Battle Frontier could have been a bit better in my eyes. With regards to rivals, Tyson and Morrison didn't exactly come across as major rivals for Ash, hence I docked a few points. Could have been lower were it not for May's rivals being exceptional. Drew, Harley and Solidad were all great Coordinators(and I still ship DrewxMay). As for Antagonist groups, Team Magma and Team Aqua were decent but they basically competed against one another for the top group in the region. Their goals also conflicted with one another and frankly having two groups was one group too many, hence docked a couple points. As for Champions and Gym Leaders, Steven as the Champion was solid. Even appears in Kalos to help against Team Flare(and for ORAS promotion I would assume) but I took a point off because these Gym Leaders didn't exactly put up much of a fight against Ash. Would have taken off more but then there was the Battle Frontier and well that was awesome. A solid third place in my latest rankings.

Kanto/Johto Region(Original Series or Seasons 1 to 5). Score: 9/9.5/7/8/7 for a 40.5 out of 50

With Brock and Misty returning in Sun and Moon, I went to watching the Original Series again and I must say the Nostalgia really impacted this ranking. The Chemistry between the three was great but I docked a point because the writers sadly ramrodded Misty into her Cerulean Gym Prison and the fact they replaced Brock with Tracey for 36 Episodes. Tracey is a character that could die and I wouldn't miss him one bit. As for OST and other music, this series started it all and I almost gave it a perfect score but docked half a point because the 2nd season theme(which is used for Pokemon Go if I'm not mistaken) was not as great as the other seasonal theme's(in my opinion). Favorite theme from the OS was Psyduck's. I would die if that is played in Sun and Moon. As for rivals, Gary Oak was solid but we didn't see him battle Ash until the end of Orange Islands or 116 Episodes into the series. Most rivals would have battled Ash long before then. Had to wait until the Johto Tournament before Ash finally got the chance to really face him(and ultimately defeat him). Yet after winning against Gary, Gary loses his rival status, which didn't befall other Ash rivals in the Anime, hence docked a few points. Then there is Ritchie and Harrison, two unknown Trainers who manage to defeat Ash out of the blue(which I dislike, hence docked a point). Team Rocket for an Antagonist group was decent but nothing spectacular was ever done that wow'd me. I mean sure Ash and the gang imitating them was classic(still waiting for Sun and Moon to do it....) but Team Rocket essentially had the weakest showing of all Antagonist groups. Yet despite that, I gave them high marks because it is Team Rocket after all ;). As for Champion of Kanto/Johto, Lance was ok but frankly they could have chosen someone else as Lance leads the Elite 4. The Gym Leaders in the Orange Islands were surprisingly decent but Johto and Kanto Gym Leaders left much to be desired(especially in Kanto). Outside of Clair, Whitney, Koga and Blaine, I thought the rest could have challenged Ash a bit more but eh its just my opinion. Solid 4th place finish considering where it was last time.

Unova Region(Black and White or Seasons 14 to 16). Score: 8/8/6/9/8 for a 39 out of 50

I rewatched this series and honestly, my feelings towards it soured. Iris and Cilan were decent companions and both of them developed as characters(especially Iris). However I had to dock a couple Companion points because "Your such a Kid" really drove me insane by the time I was a quarter of the way through the series. Yes we know he's a kid Iris... but so are you!!! As for OST and other scores, not too many to choose from, although I found its Season 15 theme to be the best. Season 14 fell flat to me(hence docked a couple points). What really hurt this series was the rivals. All of Ash's rivals, save for maybe Bianca, were just poorly designed and executed. Losing to Cameron with him having just 5 Pokemon... still the biggest disgrace in Pokemon anime history. Not even Iris' rival in Georgia or Cilan's rival in Burgandy can escape my wrath, earning this region a well deserved 6 for rival score. The lone bright spot for this region was Team Plasma and N. Were it not for this, Black and White might have scored much lower. As for Champions and Gym Leaders, Alder was a decent Champion but again the Gym Leaders could have done better in challenging Ash. Only Elesa and Roxie came across as decent Gym Leaders(to me anyway). Putting Ash's imbecile nature aside, this region deserves its current 5th place placement.

Alola Region(Sun and Moon or Season 20*Ongoing*). Score: 6/7/7/5/8 for a 33 out of 50

Finally to Sun and Moon and although I resisted placing this series initially I think its now time that I do so. It has the unique opportunity to move up in my rankings but it would have to do a great deal in order to do so because this series really has dug itself a hole. For starters, it suffers from too many characters syndrome. Sophacles is a pointless character and Mallow has been shafted by the writers. Heck even Lillie(who played a pivotal role in the games) has yet to take charge and separate herself(which is a shame but again this series has the unique opportunity to change things as its still ongoing). Kiawe and Lana really are the only bright spots so far and hence I give Companion score a 6. For OST/Themes, the English theme is ok but for Japanese they've reused the Original series song which although its good it lacks creativity and hence docked it a few points. Rest of the series soundtrack is meh so far, hence a score of 7. With regards to rivals, its still early but we've only had 1 instance between Ash and Gladion and it was interrupted. I could score it lower but I'll give it a score of 7. If there is anything that has plagued Sun and Moon so far, its the antagonist group. I could score it even lower but so far Team Skull has yet to impress(their theme isn't bad though). Plus Aether Foundation has yet to be introduced so I gave it a 5 out of pity. I suppose the lone bright spot in the series is the Kahuna's(as there are no Gym Leaders or Champion due to no League). Hala and Olivia both gave Ash a solid challenge but with there only being two so far, I can't give a perfect score(hence a respectable 8).

Thankyou for posting this. My ranking is pretty similiar with the same reasons. I miss XY(Z)=[

Years

You have a lot of good points, since this would exactly be how I envisioned a more detailed version of my list as well. I would have docked even more from SM due to how childish Ash is acting, and if we had a score for Ash's design SM would be hands-down the worst due to the lack of creativity with his Alola outfit.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
You have a lot of good points, since this would exactly be how I envisioned a more detailed version of my list as well. I would have docked even more from SM due to how childish Ash is acting, and if we had a score for Ash's design SM would be hands-down the worst due to the lack of creativity with his Alola outfit.

When doing my critique, I left Ash out of it. I judged it purely from the other protagonists and side characters along with the series soundtrack. Even if I included Ash, the order would still be the same, although I might drop the score for Unova(Ash entering the battle with Elesa with just Palpitoad was about as embarrassing as Ash losing to Cameron) and Sun and Moon a bit.

Years
When doing my critique, I left Ash out of it. I judged it purely from the other protagonists and side characters along with the series soundtrack. Even if I included Ash, the order would still be the same, although I might drop the score for Unova(Ash entering the battle with Elesa with just Palpitoad was about as embarrassing as Ash losing to Cameron) and Sun and Moon a bit.

It still would have been interesting if Ash was taken into account though.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
It still would have been interesting if Ash was taken into account though.

The first time I ranked the series, I took Ash into account and that included the Pokemon he obtained for each particular region. His Kalos and Sinnoh Teams are widely regarded to be the top 2 in the entire Anime and consequently happened to be my top 2 regions in my rankings. I initially ranked Unova high because I thought it was trying to do two things at once: reboot the Original series feel with the rookie Ash and the mentor/Tsundere relationship with Iris while trying to promote the new oddities within the Black and White games(such as the Clubsplosion and other Tournaments). I liked battling/Tournaments, hence gave it a positive bump over the other series.

Then after rewatching the series(again), I realized just how much they botched certain aspects and when you try to do too many things at once, it basically comes back to burn you(in which case it did for Black and White series). As such the series dropped while the other regions moved up ahead of it. Ash was still an imbecile in that series and that frankly is what hurts it the most when it comes to fans judging it.

Sun and Moon has a lot of work to do to rise from the cellar but its only been 40 Episodes and the series has plenty of opportunity to change my mind. However, it will have to do a lot to beat Black and White and that is saying something.

Years
Sun and Moon has a lot of work to do to rise from the cellar but its only been 40 Episodes and the series has plenty of opportunity to change my mind. However, it will have to do a lot to beat Black and White and that is saying something.

I agree, while I didn't notice the major flaws with BW until halfway through, I noticed the flaws with SM in only 20 episodes. That's quite a staggering difference and that definitely shows how much of a hole the current saga has dug, a hole that will be difficult to get out of.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Thankyou for posting this. My ranking is pretty similiar with the same reasons. I miss XY(Z)=[

XYZ wasn't all that good. Clemont and Bonnie were okay during the XY series, but after a while they became boring background characters without any personality. I do admit BW wasn't anybetter but it was still a really great series, i think people are just hating on it for the hell of it.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
XYZ wasn't all that good. Clemont and Bonnie were okay during the XY series, but after a while they became boring background characters without any personality. I do admit BW wasn't anybetter but it was still a really great series, i think people are just hating on it for the hell of it.

I loved both BW and XY(Z). but the latter was my favourite. I can agree about Clemont, buy Bonnie certainly wasn't a backgroun character. Especially in last season of XY.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years

Black and White tried to do too many things at once. They tried rebooting the series with a rookie caliber Ash and rekindling the Original series Mentor/Tsundere relationship with Iris of all characters while promoting the new Clubsplosion and other in-game Tournaments throughout the series. They botched the rivals and other facets of the series(which I noted in my 2nd ranking) but at least I'll give it credit for trying to stick true to the core of what the anime was about: traveling around doing Gym's and entering the regional league. People hate on it because it went from one of the best series in Sinnoh(Diamond and Pearl) to one that was a shell of its former self(Unova or Black and White). When your predecessor series is so good, I really think people put a ton of expectations on it and well it never lived up to it.

Sun and Moon, on the other hand, changed the formula completely but rather than trying to stick to the game's mantra of trials with Trial Captains, they subbed for that with a Pokemon School. Considering way back in Season 1, Ash was never into School and they further demonstrated that back in Season 11 with the Pokemon Summer Academy in Sinnoh(with Angie). They reused the Academy again in Kalos(although Ash seemed more up to it this time around) but if history has told us anything is that Ash is not fond of school and it certainly doesn't work as the basis of a series where the game's have nothing in common with it(outside of the Grand Trials with the Kahuna's so far).

As for XY/XYZ, Clemont was basically the Sceince nerd who served his purpose as comedy relief and as Ash's 5th Gym Battle(in a way he basically was this series' version of Brock). Was also Bonnie's big brother so he added a needed family component to the group. Bonnie was a far better character than Max(let's agree on just this ok?). She grew from an innocent little girl to one that took on more and more responsibility at such a young age, including caring for Pokemon(one of which was the legendary Zygarde). Her caring nature is ultimately what decided the final battle as her lullaby is what broke Team Flare's Mind Control over the Zygarde she took care of. Everyone makes a big deal over Ash in that final battle but the true MVP is Bonnie.

Years
CodeHelmet has a point regarding Ash and school settings. He was the type who was never interested in school, and also as DP and XY showed a school setting really can only work for a couple of episodes, not the whole generation saga.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
To be fair the Sun and Moon can't really be compared to any of the other saga's. It's different, the whole show's dynamics, overall tone, and motivations are different.

It went from a Shounen Monster of the week Battle anime.

To a Iyashikei show with comedy and some fight scenes laced in between.

The show is great, well produced, well written, and funny (Although the last one's subjective) Yet, people (Westeners mostly) can't seem to grasp the overall appeal, often writing it off as Lazy, bad, cringe worthy. I mostly blame the dub...

I think a great analogy for the show is, It's the Zelda 2 of the Pokemon Anime Saga's. Zelda 2 despite being a great game, is often labeled as terrible because it doesn't follow the conventions of the series.

CidHazard

Years
To be fair to Zelda II, that was while the franchise was still trying to plant its roots, so it's not like it had any conventions to follow in the first place (we didn't start getting any conventions for the series until A Link to the Past).

If anything, SM is closer to the CDi Zelda games.

And no, I'm not sure I'd call them well produced. Its ratings would be through the roof if it was well produced. The Original Series had very high ratings, something several of its successor shows have yet to top at all.

Ratings =/= Production, that's insane... and you know that's not true. If it was the case, then movies like Water World and Jupiter Ascending would've been box office hits and classics. And the Original Dawn of the Dead or Halloween or Rocky or Pulp Fiction would've sucked right?

Also Ratings =/= Good... In 2015-2016 season Game of thrones wasn't even in America's top 10 most viewed shows... so wait a minute... that means that GOT isn't such a well produced well written show and The Big Bang Theory and AMC's The Walking Dead are far superior than GOT in every conceivable way right?

Ratings alone aren't a determiner of ones quality.

Furthermore, the original series was booming at the time... no wonder it had high ratings! It was the trend the current fad. Of course its ratings would've been astronomically high at the time.

Weedle do you even watch other anime? I've stated this thousands of times before but I'll say it again... most shows would kill have the level of production Pokemon has. The Pokemon Anime is incredibly consistent (Even more so in SM) than any other long running TV anime there is. Heck even 12 episodes shows, can't match the level of production the Pokemon anime has. Even Dragon Ball... let me emphasize this... DRAGON BALL!!! couldn't match the Pokemon. I believe everyone still remembers the first episodes of DB super? Wait let me remind you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCWN6kmzo8Y

Beerus vs SSJ3 Goku... notice how I didn't just take a freaking screenshot and just gave a link to the fight scene itself? The show wasn't even in the 10 episode mark and it already dropped the ball... SM is so consistent that even when it's trying to save animation time/effort/budget the show still remains consistent, and doesn't devolve into a freaking clip show with music and voices plastered in.

It doesn't change the fact that Zelda 2 is still hated by most fans for being different than its contemporaries, and if I recall... most of the Gamers whom played it at the time of its release.

Last edited:

CidHazard

Years
Ratings =/= Production, that's insane... and you know that's not true. If it was the case, then movies like Water World and Jupiter Ascending would've been box office hits and classics. And the Original Dawn of the Dead or Halloween or Rocky or Pulp Fiction would've sucked right?

Woah you wrote well produced... my bad XD I was thinking of something completely different. That was a mistake on my part XD The point still stands tho

Rating's =/= Production

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Not to mention viewing habits have changed since 1997, what with websites such as crunchyroll allowing people to watch anime to fit their schedule and not schedule around Pokémon or any other show foe that matter

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Zelda 2 is nothing like Sun and Moon. Zelda was still establishing itself as a Franchise, although I will admit Zelda 2 was a departure from the Original so I can see why you're equating it to Sun and Moon. The thing is, in time, people grew to appreciate Zelda 2 but when it first came out, it was the Black sheep of the franchise. Perhaps that will also happen with Sun and Moon(but I doubt it because each series has tried to stay as close as possible to the games. This is the first series where you can make the case that it hasn't and that is why Sun and Moon gets the hate. I mean forget the whole change in Animation/Art Style(Animation in Sun and Moon is actually pretty good, but I can go without the funny faces frankly) but when Kiawe, Mallow, Lana and Sophocles weren't Trial Captains, you have every reason to dislike it).

I also don't think ratings determine what a good movie or series is either. What determines a movie to be good or bad is purely subjective(hence my rankings in the series can change from one day to the next). Namely that determination comes from you, although we usually defer to people who do it for a living(aka critics) and then decide whether to watch or see something based on their recommendation. I've seen movies or shows that critics had labeled as crap and thought they were pretty good while also seeing "good" ones and coming away feeling cheated or it sucked.

Plus, as has been pointed out in another thread concerning ratings(perhaps you can do the ratings argument over there?), ratings don't actually show the popularity of a show as they once did say 25 years ago. Viewing habits of people are changing and hence don't represent the true viewership as there are multiple ways of watching a program(and I don't think these ratings take all of it into account).

In any case, Sun and Moon is indeed different but what really makes people dislike it is the fact it's not even resembling the games and has comedy within it that is shall we say not appealing to western viewers. It's OST could be better too, with its opening a reuse of Season 1. It's still ongoing and has the chance to redeem itself but with the way things are going I don't think it's going to dig itself out of the basement.

Years
What are you guys doing? Why are you keep talking about Zelda, Batman, Winnie the Pooh, NCIS, little pony etc etc in a Pokemon Anime thread? Of course I'm going to delete off-topic posts and posts that replied to those posts. Also, from now on I'm not going to warn you, I can just infract you since I warned you many times.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 8, 2017
Got to mostly agree with Codehelmet on his ratings, especially XYZ. It became my favorite series from the beginning which surprised me greatly as I usually take 10-15 episodes to get into the story and characters. I've seen some saying Serena was annoying to them but I really couldn't relate to that as she was the near perfect companion Ash needed in the series based on his behavior compared to the past series. I fully enjoyed his much added maturity and for once seemed to be the leader of the group. Definitely added years to his character (from 10 to 17 at least for me). I have also never been one to 'ship' characters with Ash but the way Serena was written felt smooth to me and hardly forced. I may not have remembered the past seasons as greatly as I wanted to but his actions towards her seemed way different than his usual behavior. Not sure if age has something to do with it as well but I've greatly grown to appreciate what XYZ was trying to portray maturity wise.

Last edited:
Back