• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Character in the show?

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
  • Honestly I would have to go with Misty, Iris, and May. They all just seemed rude 24/7, iris with her "your such a kid" and they just didnt seem like they wanna be there, only because the creators forced them to be.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Agreed with May, but disagree with Misty and Iris. Actually, if anything, Iris was one of BW's more redeeming elements, even WITH her frankly annoying aspect of calling Ash a kid (which to be fair to her, Ash's behavior in that series didn't help), and Misty for all of her faults actually DID help Ash and co. out multiple times (heck, if it weren't for her, Ash would have been a body in the river on his first day), and still proves to be one of the show's better characters.

As far as the worst character... well, May, no doubt, especially considering she didn't even want to have anything to DO with Pok?mon at all, which 1., made no sense since she literally grew up with them thanks to her dad being the gym leader, and 2., practically cheapened the profession of being a Pok?mon trainer, whether it be league challenger or, heck, even coordinator. And said reason for her hatred was NEVER explained. It would be like asking a child-hater to run a kindergartner class, makes no sense. And don't get me started on how she was the start of the show's infamous tendency to treat the female leads as sexual eyecandy despite their canonically being 10 year olds. Honestly, if she hated Pok?mon, she shouldn't have even become a trainer at all, let alone travel with Ash. If anything, Lillie in Sun and Moon is May done RIGHT. And quite frankly, I wasn't fond of the Pok?mon Contest goal in the first place, it reminds me too much of those fashion show stuff, and aside from that, it wasn't even needed to complete the games, so it really has no business to even be on the same level as Pok?mon Leagues. And I wasn't fond of the fact that she just stood there like a coward when Phantom abducted Manaphy in Movie 9's climax and did absolutely nothing to either attempt to save it at the very least despite actually HAVING the means to save it such as Beautifly and Squirtle, nor did she even make any attempt to at least AID Ash in saving Manaphy, and let me remind you that that thing was effectively HER child. Besides, I've seen similar characters to her among the Fiorello Fangirls in the episode Princess vs. Princess, and I wasn't fond of them either.

Besides May, I also wasn't really fond of Dawn at all, for mostly similar reasons.

Probably the only other character I do really hate is Cameron due to how he made even BW Ash look smart (and that's saying something, since even knowing his usual nature, Ash was unbelievably stupid and poorly handled in BW, with only SM being a worse depiction of him).

I didn't mind Serena too much, but she was pretty much a walking plot tumor from her unsubtle crush on Ash to her pretty much retconning Gary, Molly, and even Misty regarding Ash's friends. Didn't help that she really overreacted regarding her loss to say the very least (let me get this straight... she got a haircut for her first loss?!).

FlameChrome

Years
  • Honestly, I like Serena and Dawn. I thought they did well. But thats me, Serena got the kiss she always wanted, but decided to leave Ash anyways which made no sense. Who in their right minds kiss and runs? Serena to be exact. I think in X and Y Ash seemed more responsible if you understand what i mean, but its only because of the two family folks who traveled along with them.

Years
  • May is for sure the worst character for reasons already listed above and a big reason for why I stopped watching the anime.

Misty and Iris however are brilliant and are exactly the kind of companions Ash needs rather than the Mary-Sue types like May and Dawn. I tried the anime again in Sinnoh when May was replaced but Dawn didn't entice me at all. Then I tried again for Best Wishes and Iris & Cilan were great characters and kept my interest for the whole series.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Probably the various League kickers over the years, but Iris and Cilan have certainly climbed up a few pegs when I decided to actually sit down and watch the first few episodes of BW

Iris calling Ash a kid for not knowing things he has no way of knowing is beyond infuriating ("You didn't know Frillish - a pok?mon you've never encountered or seen before - has Cursed Body? Such a kid."), and the few times she calls him a kid for legitimately childish mistakes (hurling a pok? ball without even bothering to weaken the pok?mon, for example) aren't nearly as egregious

She's slightly redeemed by the fact both Ash and Trip aren't amused by her personality

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Probably the various League kickers over the years, but Iris and Cilan have certainly climbed up a few pegs when I decided to actually sit down and watch the first few episodes of BW

Iris calling Ash a kid for not knowing things he has no way of knowing is beyond infuriating ("You didn't know Frillish - a pok?mon you've never encountered or seen before - has Cursed Body? Such a kid."), and the few times she calls him a kid for legitimately childish mistakes (hurling a pok? ball without even bothering to weaken the pok?mon, for example) aren't nearly as egregious

She's slightly redeemed by the fact both Ash and Trip aren't amused by her personality

To be fair to Iris, there were instances in BW where even not having seen the Pok?mon before is NOT an excuse for making really stupid mistakes (him mistaking Iris for an Axew is a notable one. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure his pokedex would have informed him that an Axew was about the size of a Pikachu, meaning the height alone would have disqualified her, let alone her physical appearance).

May is for sure the worst character for reasons already listed above and a big reason for why I stopped watching the anime.

Misty and Iris however are brilliant and are exactly the kind of companions Ash needs rather than the Mary-Sue types like May and Dawn. I tried the anime again in Sinnoh when May was replaced but Dawn didn't entice me at all. Then I tried again for Best Wishes and Iris & Cilan were great characters and kept my interest for the whole series.

You and me both. Granted, I left by Johto beforehand and thus didn't even know Misty had left, not to mention the reason WHY she left (I did learn later on that she left via a gaming magazine, I think Tips and Tricks, either that or Disney Adventures, but I didn't know why she left until about 2006. Before then, I merely assumed she decided to do her own journey), though it had absolutely NOTHING to do with the fillers believe it or not. Actually, the real reason I left was because of a certain ad that was posted after I think the Snorlax wrestling episode which had characters singing (incidentally, that was also the incident alongside Return to the Sea that made me really hate singing), and I got fearful regarding it being like Mary Moo Cow in Arthur. But, regardless, while May didn't cause me to leave the show, she certainly didn't convince me to return and if anything did the opposite (especially when she when I was at the hospital and briefly heard her reminded me too much of a Love Hina character, stereotypes I had sworn to stop). Dawn also didn't do it for me, either, and quit DP by the time of the Roarke gym battle.

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • I don't like Misty.

Too mean in season 1.

Too bland any other season past season 1. o_O;

I mean, maybe there's something i'm not quite 'getting' about her, but that's how I see her character.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Eh, Max. He was a very unkind, know it all brat. =/

Also, no, I can't agree May is the worst, sorry, I actually liked her, so. :)

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Eh, Max. He was a very unkind, know it all brat. =/

Also, no, I can't agree May is the worst, sorry, I actually liked her, so. :)

I like May as well. She's funny :)

I agree Max wasn't the kindest character from what I remember about him. He seemed to fight with May a lot O_o; Kinda like Misty with Ash...

I can't hate Max though. A friend of mine I miss a lot really liked him, so holding any grudges would hurt....(but I do prefer bonnie's attitude overall. Bonnie seems sweeter to me)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't like Misty.

Too mean in season 1.

Too bland any other season past season 1. o_O;

I mean, maybe there's something i'm not quite 'getting' about her, but that's how I see her character.

Eh, she wasn't really that mean in Season 1. Believe me, she'd need to yell "pervert" and beat up Ash just for either walking in on her changing/bathing at the absolute wrong time (even when such was a clear accident on his part), beat him up when she walks in on HIM changing, or heck, force him to see flesh before beating him up anyway before she can qualify as "too mean" in ANY season, let alone Season 1 (you know, like Naru Narusegawa from Love Hina, or, heck, any of the Hinata Inn dorm girls in the same franchise, and how they treated Keitaru Urashima that whole time). Heck, Bulma was a lot meaner to Goku in earlier seasons of Dragon Ball than Misty ever was, and she's one of his best friends.

And to be fair, it's not like Ash was all that great in Season 1 either, starting plenty of arguments with Misty and being about as snappish and mean to her in turn, not to mention exaggerating any accomplishments he had. Heck, one instance, he played a very bad joke where he claimed he was "feeling a bit like a ghost himself", resulting in Misty, Brock, and Pikachu understandably being very angry with him (especially after this came right after Brock, for justifiable reasons, screamed at the top of his lungs due to grabbing Pikachu's tail by accident and Pikachu reacting). And I definitely remember Episode 3 had him basically siccing his Caterpie on Pidgeotto, which even regarding his being a newbie, there was no excuse there for not knowing Pidgeotto would try to eat it, and thus nearly got it killed. In fact, Misty's telling him off various times, while admittedly harsh, was actually for the most part deserved on Ash's part, and even the few times she DOES end up telling him off when he actually didn't do much wrong, her reasoning for assuming he did a bad thing was quite understandable (case in point: in their first meeting, Misty slapped Ash for endangering Pikachu and trying to drown him. While we know that wasn't actually the case, Misty had no way of knowing that Ash if anything was trying to save Pikachu from a flock of Spearow that Ash had unwittingly provoked, not to mention Pikachu was partly at fault because the latter's disobedience was ultimately the reason why Ash tried to throw a rock at Spearow in an attempt to capture it and thus started that whole mess).

Can't comment on anything post-Season 1, though, mostly because I'm not sure how to counter "bland."

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    Ash is by far the worst.

Even as a kid when I liked this show, nor did I even know how unfaithful it was to the games, I still absolutely hated him.

My friends and I would make bets that every time he finally lucked into evolution, he'd up and give them away, and it rang true almost every single time. The one that really stung most for me was Pidgeot.

And given the fact he's more blank than intentionally stone-cold silent protagonists of the games, when he has a backstory, identity, past, etc... is one hell of a testament to lazy, horrible writing.

And the writers have even admitted they have no plans for him. He's going to be forever 10 years old, wandering aimlessly forever. Yawn.

The only thing that could've saved him was starting him off as an inept, irritating loser who progressed, and.... yeah. They scrapped that idea pretty fast.

The saddest thing about Ash is, at his most irritating (season 1) was the only time he even had a personality, and it was him at his BEST. He was a horrible character, but at least he was a character. What he is now is.... beyond words. Even saying cardboard is being too generous.

Last edited:

FlameChrome

Years
  • Ash is by far the worst.

Even as a kid when I liked this show, nor did I even know how unfaithful it was to the games, I still absolutely hated him.

My friends and I would make bets that every time he finally lucked into evolution, he'd up and give them away, and it rang true almost every single time. The one that really stung most for me was Pidgeot.

And given the fact he's more blank than intentionally stone-cold silent protagonists of the games, when he has a backstory, identity, past, etc... is one hell of a testament to lazy, horrible writing.

And the writers have even admitted they have no plans for him. He's going to be forever 10 years old, wandering aimlessly forever. Yawn.

The only thing that could've saved him was starting him off as an inept, irritating loser who progressed, and.... yeah. They scrapped that idea pretty fast.

Omg i agree so much. Ash said he would go back and get the pokemon back but never did. I can't believe we have so much in common.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Worst character is very subjective and when we think about it, is it the character?s fault or the writers? fault that the characters suck? For me, the worst character is Tracey. Has the distinct honor of having ?replaced? Brock for roughly 32 Episodes during Orange Islands arc and subsequently being ignored for the next 20 seasons(seriously the guy wasn?t even there for the 20th anniversary Kanto arc in Sun and Moon!).

After him I?d do Max who by all means was a useless fourth wheel to me. While Bonnie gets a lot of hate, her wife gag did get funny after awhile, particularly with the Buneary trainer. Also helped that she knew about Serena?s crush on Ash, hence her reaction when Serena finally sealed the deal as she was saying goodbye.

FlameChrome

Years
  • Worst character is very subjective and when we think about it, is it the character?s fault or the writers? fault that the characters suck? For me, the worst character is Tracey. Has the distinct honor of having ?replaced? Brock for roughly 32 Episodes during Orange Islands arc and subsequently being ignored for the next 20 seasons(seriously the guy wasn?t even there for the 20th anniversary Kanto arc in Sun and Moon!).

After him I?d do Max who by all means was a useless fourth wheel to me. While Bonnie gets a lot of hate, her wife gag did get funny after awhile, particularly with the Buneary trainer. Also helped that she knew about Serena?s crush on Ash, hence her reaction when Serena finally sealed the deal as she was saying goodbye.

I cant say much about that first paragraph, but that second one about Bonnie, to me she was funny with that. But she always acted like a wing woman or a third wheel.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Alain is the worst for me he was so boring and it feels like a kid made him.

Back