• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Version Exclusives

Years
  • Which game do you think has the better exclusives? Exclusive Pokemon are one of the "features" that made Pokemon Red/Blue seperate games, a lot of people chose their game based off these.
    Red exclusive Families: Ekans, Oddish, Mankey, Growlithe, Scyther, and Electabuzz.
    Blue exclusives Families: Sandshrew, Vulpix, Meowth, Bellsprout, Magmar, and Pinsir.
    (thnx noa)

I myself prefer the Blue exclusives, as I like better the Sandshrew, Vulpix, and Bellsprout lines.

Last edited:

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • So no one has to google:
    Red exclusive lines- Ekans, Oddish, Mankey, Growlithe, Scyther, Electabuzz
    Blue exclusive lines- Sandshrew, Vulpix, Meowth, Bellsprout, Magmar, Pinsir

Huh, that's a tough one, I think I'd pick Red in the end because of Oddish, Growlithe and Scyther.

Years
  • I mean, somebody more versed in the Generation I meta than me would probably be required to tell you which game has the better selection of exclusives overall, but as for which one I personally prefer, exclusive-wise, here's how things stack up for me…
    • Sandshrew line > Ekans line
    • Oddish line > Bellsprout line
    • Vulpix line > Growlithe line
    • Mankey line = Meowth line
    • Scyther > Pinsir
    • Electabuzz > Magmar

If you forced me to pick one, I'd probably pick Blue, because I like the Sandshrew and Vulpix lines more than I like the Oddish line, and while Scyther is definitely cool, it's not a Pokémon I'm likely to find a spot for on my team.

Also, as for the early-game pseudo-exclusives, I tend to favor female Nidoran over male, and the Caterpie and Weedle lines pretty much tie for me.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This was a case where I could not limit myself to just one, but owned all three generation 1 games. However, for the purpose of this question I will say Red because I used the Growlithe and Oddish line more frequently. The very first Pokemon team I ever made as a youngster starred Jane the Vileplume. With trembling fingers a little elementary school girl with glasses used this humungous flower to smash her way through Lorelei of the Elite four. So the Oddish line must always be honored with the satus of sainthood.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Eh I consider Pokemon Yellow Pikachu as an exclusive. Not every day you get a Pikachu that naturally learns Thunderbolt at level 26. Plus, Yellow had Pokemon that learned particular moves only on Yellow. Some examples: Mankey learns Low Kick at level 9(version exclusive move), Scyther learns Wing Attack at level 50(Yellow version exclusive move). Diglett can learn Cut(Yellow version exclusive).

Now if I'm forced to pick Pokemon exclusives between Red and Blue, I'd have to go with Blue. Sandshrew is an underrated Ground Type(granted you have to teach it Ground moves) and Vulpix is a pretty good Fire Type(although a bit delicate for my liking. Learns Flamethrower early though at 35). Plus I have a soft spot for Vulpix.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Eh I consider Pokemon Yellow Pikachu as an exclusive. Not every day you get a Pikachu that naturally learns Thunderbolt at level 26. Plus, Yellow had Pokemon that learned particular moves only on Yellow. Some examples: Mankey learns Low Kick at level 9(version exclusive move), Scyther learns Wing Attack at level 50(Yellow version exclusive move). Diglett can learn Cut(Yellow version exclusive).

Now if I'm forced to pick Pokemon exclusives between Red and Blue, I'd have to go with Blue. Sandshrew is an underrated Ground Type(granted you have to teach it Ground moves) and Vulpix is a pretty good Fire Type(although a bit delicate for my liking. Learns Flamethrower early though at 35). Plus I have a soft spot for Vulpix.
    I didn't consider Yellow as you only need the original Red/Blue to complete the Pokedex, which is the main goal of the game. Even though Pikachu can learn Thunderbolt naturally in Yellow, it's already made kind of useless as Pikachu can't evolve in the game, leaving it as a pretty weak Pokemon. While it is cool that some other Pokemon can learn moves in which you can't in Red/Blue (Charizard can actually use Fly!), I don't think it's enough to make it a solid option as an exclusive.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I didn't consider Yellow as you only need the original Red/Blue to complete the Pokedex, which is the main goal of the game. Even though Pikachu can learn Thunderbolt naturally in Yellow, it's already made kind of useless as Pikachu can't evolve in the game, leaving it as a pretty weak Pokemon. While it is cool that some other Pokemon can learn moves in which you can't in Red/Blue (Charizard can actually use Fly!), I don't think it's enough to make it a solid option as an exclusive.

Yet Yellow allows you to own all 3 Kanto starters in one game run(whereas Red and Blue would have to Trade twice to accomplish that). Furthermore you *can* complete the Pok?dex on Yellow via Ditto Glitch(same deal with Red and Blue if you didn?t want to Trade). Granted Yellow would have to Trade with both Red and Blue to complete the Pok?dex the old fashioned way, hence I suppose you have a point with regards to Exclusivity. However, I think move pool exclusivity should count(like the example you noted with regards to Charizard). Also, even though Pikachu is technically weak in comparison to say Jolteon, it?s still a pretty good starter with all the Flying types you face early on(and Pikachu is typically used against Misty anyway unless you grind an Oddish or Bellsprout a bit or start with Bulbasaur).

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
    Years
  • Gonna say Red had the better exclusives overall...On a three point system (based on my opinion, obv):
    Red:
    -Ekans: 3...
    -Oddish: 2...
    -Mankey: 2...
    -Growlithe: 3...
    -Scyther: 3...
    -Electabuzz: 3...

Blue:
    -Sandshrew: 3...
    -Vulpix: 3...
    -Meowth: 1...
    -Bellsprout: 2...
    -Magmar: 2...
    -Pinsir: 2...

That said, I got Blue first...Also, this point system was weird...Never let me do something like this again...If I try, please have your Electrode use Explosion on my head...

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Overall, I like the Red exclusives better - out of all the Blue exclusives, the only one that really stands out to me is Meowth.

Years
  • I usually prefer Blue exclusives. A lot of this has to do with my bias since Blue was the version I grew up with, but there's some choices in Blue that I genuinely like better. I really like the Sandshrew and Meowth line. Bellsprout line is a good grass/poison alternative to Bubasaur family as I like it's moveset more than the Oddish line. Although I do like Growlithe family, Vuplix is easier to train since it learns Flamethrower much earlier than the former.

Despite of this there are some Red exclusives I like such as Scyther and Electabuzz. Unfortunately Scyther doesn't evolve in this gen(I love Scizor) but Scyther's design is still cool. I also prefer Electabuzz design over Magmar even though I never use Electabuzz yet(unlike Magmar).

Last edited:

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
    Years
  • Easily Blue; I much prefer Sandshrew, Meowth, and Vulpix over their Red equivalents. The only Red exclusive I'd really use is Oddish. The others, I'm pretty neutral towards. Mind you, I based my choices mostly on personal preference then any other factor.

Years
  • I prefer Red! Primeape, Scyther and Electabuzz won it for me. But I was kinda sad that I couldn't catch Vulpix first time I played Red.

Back