• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

the Jussie Smollett case

Years
  • If you truly think a prosecutor will be taken seriously charging a man for mailing a threatening letter to himself, more power to you.

I tend to think it will cause a media circus and not taken seriously.

In case you forgot, I had no idea who this guy was in the first place.

Just a reminder it was not just a threatening letter, although that in and of itself is a crime. It also contained white powder which prompted a HAZMAT call, the substance turned out to be aspirin because obviously he is not going to mail an actual deadly substance to himself. However the intent behind it was clearly to generate fear that he was being targeted for a chemical attack, and he used the federal mail service for that.

Edit: By the way the search warrant includes taking magazines with pages removed, it looks like they are looking for the ripped out pages to see if the letters on those page correspond with the cut out letters used in the threatening letter. So yeah I would guess the Feds are pursing criminal charges of using the postal service to make a terroristic threat.

Edit 2: CWB Chicago which has been the go to source on all of this from the start says that the FBI has been looking into the letter for the last month and that a federal grand jury has been impaneled.

https://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/02/smollett-threat-letter-called-enormous.html?m=1

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...rtainment/jussie-smollett-thursday/index.html

Arrested this morning and facing a bond hearing this afternoon. Currently facing a 4th degree felony. He'll probably get bond. Still denies faking the attack. Some people have pointed out that he was willing to press charges against the two individuals that the police had picked up. At least he was until he saw who it was. Was he going to press charges if the police had shown two complete strangers? I kind of wish the police had tried that. Used two plainclothes police officers to see what he'd say.

Years
  • Just a reminder to keep this discussion on the topic of Jussie Smollet and only to bring up other things if they pertain directly to this issue in some way.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    There are various articles alleging that Smollett told police he has an untreated drug problem. Possibly an attempt to set up a sentencing leniency. "I made a bad decision due to my drug addiction. I will be entering drug rehab. Please don't throw me in jail" kind of thing.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Jussie Smollett's case has now taken another twist. The Chicago police superintendent claimed that Jussie paid a $3,500 check to his alleged accomplices Abel and Ola Osundairo to stage the attack. Now, there's evidence that the check was simply payment to help the Empire actor get in shape.

The memo line reads "5 week Nutrition/Workout program Don't Go," according to documents obtained by TMZ. The check was written to Abel Osundairo on Jan. 23, six days before the attack. Sources say that there are several text messages between Smollett and Abel to prepare the entertainer for the video to his song "Don't Go."

This is also not the first time Smollett has tapped Abel for training sessions. The documents include screenshots of Osundairo and Smollett's Venmo interactions detailing at least one time where Jussie paid Abel $100 for a session in September 2018.

The brothers also told a grand jury that the money they received was for the workout/nutrition plan. While the evidence doesn't completely exonerate Jussie of allegedly fabricating his attack, it does cast additional doubt over the CPD's claims. Federal law enforcement have also stated that they have not confirmed who sent Jussie that hate letter after Chicago police said he sent it to himself.
    https://www.complex.com/pop-culture...xmag&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social
    Though for some reason the only places reporting on this are basically entertainment magazines and the like

Years
  • https://www.complex.com/pop-culture...xmag&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social
    Though for some reason the only places reporting on this are basically entertainment magazines and the like

Interesting, however by the same token Jussie probably would not write down "Money for the attack" on the check.

Also something to note is that the two brothers flew to Nigeria just hours after the attack and waited there for a few weeks. Clearly they had no plans of being in the country for the weeks following the planned attack even though Jussie allegedly paid them for training sessions for those weeks.

As for the FBI, most likely it is like the Chicago Police Department in which they kept denying everything publicly until they were prepared to release a statement. We know for a fact they took magazines and stamps from the apartment complex, so they clearly believe those could have been used in the letter.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    Years
  • I wonder if the amount of charges will be enough for a change of venue request, clearly the people of Chicago are mad that he put the city through this. So unless his lawyer tries to successfully plead down and they go to trial I wonder if he will try to get it moved.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Them Americans... From my point of view they are clearly insane. Not all of them naturally. But yeah...
    you mind adding something else to conversation other than making the generalization of "yeah Americans are fuckin' nuts Finland da bess"

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Do we know why charges were dropped all of a sudden? Neither article seems to say why.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    Do we know why charges were dropped all of a sudden? Neither article seems to say why.
    Not an important enough case per this reporter (paraphrasing).
    https://mobile.twitter.com/juliebosman/status/1110590957664288768

Some of the comments on Reddit would imply cover up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/b5qy0y/charges_against_jussie_smollett_dropped_attorneys/

A favor to someone?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...smollett-kim-foxx-records-20190313-story.html

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    While I wouldn't exactly be surprised by something like that, I don't think reddit is exactly a reputable source.

Depends on sub group. That link had more news posting about the Smollett case that were interesting.

Back