• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How to complete the Hoenn Pokedex works in Emerald?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2007
Hi,

After playing Pearl on the DS, I went back to Emerald. I'm a bit confused about how completion of the Hoenn Pokedex works in this game. In Pearl, I basically had completed the Sinnoh Pokedex by the time I finished the game. In Emerald, I beat the Elite Four, but they update it to the National mode before you even finish the Hoenn mode. How do I go about completing the Hoenn mode? For example, where do I see the different forms of the starters, which I haven't yet seen?

Does the completion aspect of this game work differently than the D/P game?

Thanks for the help!

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
Years
Completing the Hoenn Dex differs to completing the Sinnoh Dex.

With the Hoenn Dex, you need to have caught all 202 Pokemon to complete it.
With the Sinnoh Dex, you need to only have seen the 150 Pokemon to complete it.

You don't really need to complete the Hoenn Dex, that can be done when you go around completing the National Dex in Emerald.

Years
Yes, the completion aspect of Emerald is different from Diamond and Pearl. In Emerald, you have to catch all 200 Pokemon to complete the Hoenn Dex. In Diamond and Pearl, all you had to do is see them all before you got the National Dex.

Completing the National Dex gives you a choice of one of the 3 Johto starters in Emerald.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2007
OK, and I am right that unlike with the Sinnoh dex, you *need* to trade in order to complete the Hoenn one?

Also, how do you then get the three 3 Johto starters in Diamond/Pearl? Either complete the Emerald Dex on three different games (which seems insane) or trade with someone who has? Am I right that they are impossible to request through the GTS (if you have never seen them already) since they don't ever appear in D/P naturally?

Thanks for all the help!!

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
Years
OK, and I am right that unlike with the Sinnoh dex, you *need* to trade in order to complete the Hoenn one?

Also, how do you then get the three 3 Johto starters in Diamond/Pearl? Either complete the Emerald Dex on three different games (which seems insane) or trade with someone who has? Am I right that they are impossible to request through the GTS (if you have never seen them already) since they don't ever appear in D/P naturally?

Thanks for all the help!!

Yes, you'll need to trade to finish it.

Umm... you'll need to upload it via Pal Park from your Emerald, or find it off someone else who has it on the GTS. You could use PC's trading thread to request for one and see if someone will offer you anything in return.

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2007
Umm... you'll need to upload it via Pal Park from your Emerald, or find it off someone else who has it on the GTS. You could use PC's trading thread to request for one and see if someone will offer you anything in return.

That was my question: since there is no way to get them on my Pearl (other than the one for completing the Emerald dex)there is no way to request them in the GTS, right? Since you can't request something you've never encountered?

anemos

Insomniac
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Mar 24, 2010
yeh, until recently, the way to get the johto starts, was relativlly obscure, like the regis the day the game was released =D
I'm resious, the internet killed a VERY well hidden trio

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
Years
That was my question: since there is no way to get them on my Pearl (other than the one for completing the Emerald dex)there is no way to request them in the GTS, right? Since you can't request something you've never encountered?

No, that's why I suggested asking here on PC in the Wireless Trading section of the forum. You can set up trades with other members and just ask them for the Johto starters.

http://www.pkmncommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161

Years
Getting the second Lati is the harder thing. Unless one utilizes an EON TICKET & e-Reader. Connecting to a Gamecube shadow game is a nice bonus, boring venture.

xxashxx

Gotta Catch Em All
Years
The Hoenn dex is much much harder because 1. You can't use Wi-Fi to do it and 2. you need FR/LG and R/S to complete it and 3. You have to either trade with someone near you or buy another GBA so you can trade between versions to complete the dex. If you don't have the equipment and all the carts you can't finish the dex. It is extremely hard and the Sinnoh dex is so much easier. I can do all 493 Pokemon in about a month or so.:)

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
Years
No, no, no. You do NOT need Jirachi and Deoxys in your Hoenn Pokedex to have Prof. Birch consider it "finished". This is most likely because getting those two are really, really hard to do without WiFi.

To answer your question, YES, you cannot get the Johto starters through the GTS without having at least seen them before. But it's not that big of a deal - HGSS is already out in japanese and it's soon (March) coming out in USA, so.. yeah.

Also, you don't have to trade with FR/LG to finish the Emerald dex. Only R/S IIRC.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Yup. Hoenn was the last "real" pokemon game in 1 aspect. You literally have to "catch 'em all" to complete the pokedex, not like the wimpy Sinnoh dex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back