• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are there still Nazis around?

Vragon

Not to reignite this whole thing, but is there really no policy (in this section, at least) against hate speech on PC? I guess this set of mods policies =/= all policies of all previous mods, but i've seen people infracted/been banned for that before here. One example i remember pretty clearly was some guy who said a bunch of garbage up to and including calling immigration of muslim people a "dirty brown tide" or something

I think there definitely needs to be some kind of iron fist past a point, especially for that kind of thing, because while debate is fine for most things we talk about here there's certain ideologies (white nationalism ect) that no one really benefits from debating, and can make the people who're the targets of those kind of ideologies feel uncomfortable. Even in a setting where something is so absurd for the only response to be mocking (Lets go for a hypothetical example, like "lets stop gay immigration" or something else substituting race/religion/ethnic group for "gay") that still gives a platform to ideologies that fundamentally don't deserve to be treated like they're valid viewpoints to be discussed, because you're working backwards and always in the favour of the people supporing it since it's a bad faith argument to begin with. You're legitimising it through allowing it to be treated as something worthy of being discussed, i guess

Not to accuse anyone of fostering that mindset, that's just what i got out of that

And this is one of the reasons I believe White Nationalism still exists. Regardless if you think it's stupid or contributes nothing you can't just disregard their ability to talk about things here. An issue I really see is this whole refusing to talk with them and as a result a sense of hostility from them. I get viewpoints I disagree, hell some on PC I'm firmly against, but at the same time this is a place to discuss ones opinions in a fair environment (or at least it should be).

I'm not a mod so I don't know that example or why it would happen unless it was a personal attack or something (in which case all I can take your example as is an interpretation unless you have evidence of the thread).

Also, so they aren't legitimizing it just by letting it have a say. That's what mediators do. Sides if you want to discuss an issue you need to discuss all sides of it with the viewpoints of the respective sides. Yes, I can agree with you that this debates place isn't very useful in the long term when it comes to changing things, but just cause this one debate section doesn't help much doesn't mean you change it
from the basic rules of Debate.

When it comes to me and debates I try to see each opinion out there as a statement. I try to get peeps show reasons/evidence why a certain thing is better or would work. Get them to prove their point in a way. This is something that has show problems here and doing what you would suggest would only make it worse for a couple of reasons.
1) I don't have to prove myself if the other opinion is stupid enough to not have a say
2) favoritism
3) I'm less inclined to change my opinion since anything a person with (so and so opinion) says is no doubt supporting a false idea.

Also, just cause someone has such an opinion doesn't mean they only have that opinion or fully support that belief. I'm sorry but it's for reasons like these I stayed away from debates for a long time. Frankly whatever your opinion is, if you wanna say it then support it. Don't just do subjective feelings in the matter, show why it would be better.

This is a problem with discussing problems I've seen and it needs to stop if any sort of solution or compromise is to come.

Years
"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Evalynn Beatrice Hall

Please don't use this thread for feedback and return to using it for its intended purpose.

Years
I feel like I am a little too late to weigh in heavily here, but the real and honest answer to the original question, without bothering myself with people linking blog posts and other such drivel that holds no truth nor validity in the main scheme of things, is a hard no.

No, Nazis are not still a thing, but neonazism? Sure, have at it. Waste your time and energy concerning yourself with the less than 10,000 Americans that are Neo-Nazis/KKK.

This number comes from the SPLC, which arguably inflates the truth on a regular basis and conflates pepe the frog as a machination of evil.

If you wish to talk the talk and walk the walk show up with some numbers from an entity that is verified and sanctioned, like the FBI, which also agrees that Neo-Nazism isn't much to worry over. Roughly 10,000 members nation wide is hardly a call to arms.

Also, Nationalism is not an evil thing. It's an idea that can be taken too far but I would also like to point out that even my go to for facts, the FBI, has made blunders in this field over whether Nationalists are bad.

Ruby Ridge Incident: To make a long story short, they killed a man's son, shot his wife in the dome, shot his friend and also jailed them to boot because Nationalists are bad. The guy was an apocalypse nutjob and they thought he was an evil Nazi.

Careful with what you wish for. Mistakes are easy to make and lives can be lost because you've decided that all Nationalism is bad.

Loving your country is not a bad thing. The same can also be said about loving your city and your neighborhood and wanting it to be clean and crime free. That's the basic idea and just because it can become twisted doesn't mean it will. I would even argue that the entire military is comprised of Nationalists, those that are willing to fight for their country and die for it.

Back