• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you play a hack without custom tiles?

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 8, 2019
I'm new to ROM hacking, and I'm creating my first game.

I write fiction, so I know that the storyline that I have come up with will be exciting and entertaining, but I'm worried about the look of my game. I know how to map but I have no idea how to create or insert custom tiles since I'm so new to this.

My question is; will any of you play a game that only uses basic tiles already in the game?

Natzen

Creator of Pokémon: Sanguine
Years
Short answer: Probably

Long answer: Being graphically appealing is usually one thing I look out for before playing a rom, but if you've got something that grabs my attention and makes me want more right from the get go it's probable that i'll stick around to see how things play out (As long as you've got decent grammar and such).

Also it's not too hard to add custom tiles, you could definitely teach yourself quickly with the use of some youtube guides, they are definitely all over the place!

Good luck with your hack, nonetheless! The PC is almost always supportive of somebody and their endeavors to create something whether it's pretty looking or not.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Of course! Graphics aren't everything to me, I'd happily play through a hack that used original tiles if I liked the story and enjoyed the gameplay. You could always map with the default tiles for now and add fancy tiles later once you pick it up - don't feel pressured to learn everything at once, but as Natzen already said, there are plenty of good guides for inserting tiles floating around.

nuuk

gsc spriter
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 17, 2020
i would much more prefer normal tiles over poorly made custom tiles all the way.

bad sprites really rub the the wrong way in terms of playing a pokemon hack, especially since there are so many poorly made hacks out there. while looks arent everything, they definitely help distinguish your hacks from others.

id use the default tiles for now and maybe add in custom tiles if you feel its needed.

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
Graphics of a game really dont matter until your storyline is good. I know that there are many hacks out there which have the original tiles but they are really good as their storyline is great. And as you said, you have great ideas for a hack, then i am sure that it must be good instead of judging the graphics of the game. Best of Luck, buddy!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 12, 2019
I've played a lot of hacks that don't use custom tiles and enjoyed pretty much of then. In my opinion, depends a lot more on the storyline and other points than only custom tiles. You can make a lot of things with the original tiles from pokemon games, they're very versatile.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
I feel the answer is rather thematic: if I'm playing a vanilla-esque adventure (a Liquid Crystal, a 386, a Emerald re-re-remake, Kanto-but-you-go-around-backwards, etc) I expect and prefer the normal tiles; for a custom adventure (custom regions, large-scale new implementations of stuff such as new weather patterns or a cast of Fakémon) then I prefer a customized tileset.

Zankew said:
Graphics of a game really dont matter until your storyline is good.
While I mostly approve, graphics is one of the earliest selling points of a romhack; before any progress if anything devs have to show they are, at least, not doing something bad with the graphics.

Back