• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The fear of getting started

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • Well, I just started writing the introduction to a new story, and I actually had this mix of fear and joy while I was writing. I'm just nervous on how this whole thing will turn out, since I want to show off my main character and make people care for him, haha.

It's not a bad fear, I don't think. It's a good feeling, and I'm excited for the outcome, but I can't be the only person that has that fear when they start, so I thought I would get your experience with it, what you do to overcome it, etc.

NidoKingdra

Envy The Dead
    Years
  • In my experience starting a new story is difficult because you need to have some idea what you want to do for a plot, and you need to get all the introductory bits out of the way without being boring about it.

Maybe once you figure out how you're going to introduce your plot, and flesh out your lead character, it won't be so daunting. A lead character with a lot of personality and quirks, things that people can recognize, either in themselves or somebody they know, is naturally more relatable to a reader.

I've put off writing my next chapter for a few days now myself, because procrastination.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Yeah I think everyone has that fear of uncertainty whenever they start a story. For a lot of my stories, whether a chaptered fic or one that is only a few hundred words I get nervous how my readers will react and sometimes that uncertainty I'll then become pretty negative to myself haha. Since lately I've been writing stories on other series/fandoms, my fear is more if I got some canon facts right and if I did a character's voice right. Not sure if I totally overcome that fear just yet, but a lot of times when I do manage to get some feedback from other readers saying they like my stories my mind is at ease and I gain some confidence in trying out new works.

Last edited:
    Years
  • When I write I sometimes get a bit nervous about how people will react, but I think the "fear" is generally overpowered by a sense of excitement for the most part. Mind you it's been a while since I've written much.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Yes, I can relate to this. Starting a story is the hardest part, because you need to get the opening right and hope things will flow, especially with fanfiction that uses canon characters. Keeping them in character isn't necessarily easy...

The most nerve-wracking part for me is submitting that first chapter whilst wondering how it will be received.

Back