• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Backlog chapters? Or post as you go?

Bay

Years
  • Hiya! So this dicussion I had in several writing circles and I curious about how long until you post a chapter. Do you wait until you have a backlog/finish the whole story, or post once you finished a chapter?

For me the majority of my fics I wait until they're finished so that they don't have long gaps in updates and they're usually for events where I can't post the story until I have it complete and such.

When I did Foul Play I waited until I had at least the first 5 chapters backlogged before posting thinking back then the story would only be 10 chapters. Things got out of hand though lol. I do try to backlog a few chapters at least until I posted Chapter 30 and I have no more backlog. I haven't written anything new for it due to focusing on another story right now.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • At the moment, I just post when a chapter is done. I've got the plot of this book figured out and currently wanting to draft it first (with the draft in this site) and finish up the improved version (that I'll replace the one here with).

When that's all done, I probably will shift to a more backlog method so I don't have the big going round in circles in the drafting process.

But for now, feedback and drafting is the priority.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I used to post whenever I had a new chapter written.

But, with my current fanfiction, I'm going to just drop the entire thing when it's entirely done, unless I haven't written the epilogues. I don't could posting everything onto my privatter as posting them weekly, since my privatter is completely private and something I only share with a few people.

But, yeah, likely going to just post everything all at once.

Since this entire story is about 24 sections (I do not call them chapters, they're sections) and 6 side stories (with more coming), I might just release the main story in batches and side stories whenever I feel like it in a backlog since I'm still working on the side story content since the list is incredibly long.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I post Stairway chapters as I finish them which, as you can see by how long it has been since I updated that fic, is not the correct method.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Backlog chapters?
    [ chuckles cries in one-shots ]

Back when I did multichapters, which was like, two or three tops, I built a backlog of around 2 chapters before publishing. Mostly to space out updates and to keep a reasonable schedule, but also because that allowed me to more easily correct information in case I took notice of something in the latest backlogged chapter that still needed to be corrected also back in the chain.

Tricks of the Love Fast, my current multichaptered, is spaced out in biannual updates, so keeping such a backlog is not really needed in that particular case.

Back