• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Gen 2 Coming To Pokemon GO!?

Years
  • It has been mentioned recently that Pokemon GO will be getting a lot of updates in the future, and those include rollouts of Pokemon from the newer generations, with 2nd Gen likely planned to be the next batch of new Pokemon rolled out.

As Drew said, it's still early days for GO so they'll likely want to keep 1st Gen around long enough for people to settle in. 1st Gen legendaries also haven't properly been rolled out yet so it will be a while but once the Pokemon after 1st Gen start coming it will definitely keep people wanting to stick around and catch 'em all.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I read an article earlier saying gen 2 coming may 2017, I'm really hoping it's wrong as that would be way too long to wait. 6 months from launch has got to be the limit, once most people have got very close to the 142 available then they need to be launching the next generation

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Gen 2 on Pokemon GO or Riot. I can't wait to have my own Chikorita, Umbreon, and Lanturn. My Meganium shall rule. :)))

I heard it's coming sometime in 2017? They keep changing the dates.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Latest date I heard was June 2017. At the rate a lot of people are progressing though I expect that a lot of people will reduce the amount they play long before then and hopefully that will force niantic to bring the date forward a bit.
    There just isn't enough to keep people occupied with the game once you've caught everything in your local area. I've got just about enough to catch locally for now to keep me playing regularly, nests are due to change soon so that might help and hopefully the new tracker will be here soon

Years
  • Huh?

Day/night cycles already exist. The game already changes to nighttime shading once it hits 7:00 pm.

It's incredibly easy from a programming sense to check your device's time. No doubt if Espeon and Umbreon are included as 25-candy Eeveelutions, all they'll have to do is randomize the current three plus either Espeon or Umbreon depending on the clock. Obviously they won't be able to prevent people from manipulating the clock, but it's not like people didn't do that already with the handheld consoles.

I was talking about the factor that you could catch certin pokemon during the day and at night like in the origonal gold and silver. But how there gonna implament espeon and umbreon into evees eveloution only time will tell and would be interesting to see

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I'm hoping they do seasonal Pokemon as well as morning, day and night time specific Pokemon. There are too many zubats and gastlys around in the day.

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2016
    Gen 2 on Pokemon GO or Riot. I can't wait to have my own Chikorita, Umbreon, and Lanturn. My Meganium shall rule. :)))

I heard it's coming sometime in 2017? They keep changing the dates.

Sounds like you already have a plan!

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    To keep a free 2 play game running and successful for years, you need a major content-update 2 or 3 times per year. This is the pattern that many successful games follow. Like Hearthstone, the digital card game by Blizzard, they release two adventures and one major card expansion, all 3 of them adding new cards to the game, each year.

Fixing bugs, adding features that should already be in the game, doing stability updates and hunting down cheaters and botters is also needed, but cannot count as a major content-update. Rolling out the legendarys from gen1 also does not really count.

So, after some initial delays from getting the game to be more stable and completing gen1 and working off the backlog, new pokemon releases every 6 months sounds about right.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2016
    And what happens to all the gen 1 pokemon when they add gen 2? It's going to be annoying hunting for generation 2 pokemon and still seeing a bunch of caterpies and pidgeys. Are they going to get rid of gen 1?

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • And what happens to all the gen 1 pokemon when they add gen 2? It's going to be annoying hunting for generation 2 pokemon and still seeing a bunch of caterpies and pidgeys. Are they going to get rid of gen 1?
    Have you not played Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver?

It's not like the games only featured Gen. II Pokémon. You can still find Gen. I Pokémon practically everywhere you went.

Every core series game other than Gen. V had wild Pokémon from other generations.

And side note: Pidgeys and Caterpies are amazing. How else will you gain fast, easy experience? I get more excited finding Pidgeys nowadays than the majority of first stage Pokémon out there.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2016
    I for one would live to find more catterpies; I'm level 21 and don't have a butterfree lol

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2016
    Have you not played Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver?

It's not like the games only featured Gen. II Pokémon. You can still find Gen. I Pokémon practically everywhere you went.

Every core series game other than Gen. V had wild Pokémon from other generations.

And side note: Pidgeys and Caterpies are amazing. How else will you gain fast, easy experience? I get more excited finding Pidgeys nowadays than the majority of first stage Pokémon out there.

Then they will need to spawn even more pokemon than usual or spawn like 70% gen2 and 30% gen1. And what happens when they add gen 3? It will definetly be a problem then..

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Then they will need to spawn even more pokemon than usual or spawn like 70% gen2 and 30% gen1. And what happens when they add gen 3? It will definetly be a problem then..

I expect most spawns will be gen 2, by then breeding will also be in so if you need candy for gen 1 Pokemon then you will be able to breed to get it

Back