• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I figured that much, I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on running one of those stat increasing berries. Is it viable or too situational?

It's an interesting idea, but it sounds a bit too risky to me, since Trevenant has to tank a lotta hits for it to work, and its kinda slow and that Sp.Defense is a bit lackluster. I think it prefers Sitrus Berries to keep its health up without having to rely solely on Horn Leech (which can be resisted and such).

But you could test it out on Showdown, see how it actually works out. Maybe with Sun support...

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • Mega Charizard Y set

So I'm trying to build a specially offensive Charizard Y set to finish up my team. As of right now I'm looking at:
    Charizard @Charizardite Y
    Rash 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def
    Heat Wave
    Solarbeam
    Air Slash
    HP Fighting

I'm wondering if having HP Fighting is worth losing Roost recovery in order to destroy incoming Tyranitar checks that would prevent a Solarbeam and possibly fend off any normal types or dark types I may see. The four EVs are put into Defense because most checks and counters to Charizard attack physically, and because of all the priority in Gen VI OU. And I'd put some calcs but I'm actually not aware of where to get them :P
    I suppose I should be running Modest but the one I have currently is Rash and I want to make sure the set is worth running before I breed too many Charmanders

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    So I'm trying to build a specially offensive Charizard Y set to finish up my team. As of right now I'm looking at:
    Heat Wave
    Solarbeam
    Air Slash
    HP Fighting

I'm wondering if having HP Fighting is worth losing Roost recovery in order to destroy incoming Tyranitar checks that would prevent a Solarbeam and possibly fend off any normal types or dark types I may see. The four EVs are put into Defense because most checks and counters to Charizard attack physically, and because of all the priority in Gen VI OU. And I'd put some calcs but I'm actually not aware of where to get them :P
    I suppose I should be running Modest but the one I have currently is Rash and I want to make sure the set is worth running before I breed too many Charmanders

Depends on the rest of your team, but personally I would keep roost and exchange air slash for Focus Blast.

So:
    Heat Wave
    Solarbeam
    Roost
    Focus Blast

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • @Bruce Banner
    My main concern with FB is that 70% accuracy. I know from experience that brick break OHKOs Tyranitar on this set, and that's with no attack investment
    The rest of my team (as of now) is Lucario, Aegislash, Greninja, Gardevoir, and Vileplume. The team is a major WiP because Vileplume is my only defense and it's Special

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Mega Charizard Y's Brick Break does not OHKO standard Tyranitar, far from it:

4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 208-248 (51.4 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 320-380 (79.2 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    If it were me, I'd go with Focus Blast because it gains some very significant KOes that Brick Break isn't capable of:

4 Atk Mega Charizard Y Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 108-128 (27.9 - 33.1%) -- 85.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 230-272 (59.5 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    That is, unless you make Charizard more physically offensive. For specially offensive, I recommend:

Charizard @ Charizardite-Y
    Ability: Blaze / Solar Power
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast / Flamethrower
    - Focus Blast
    - Solarbeam
    - Dragon Pulse / Roost

Flamethrower is superior to Heat Wave due to its 100% accuracy compared to Heat Wave's 90%, and it only has less than 5 power in difference. Flamethrower also has more PP.

Does anyone play second generation UU?
    It doesn't seem to be very popular at Smogon, and especially not here. This thread may be useful, though.

Years
  • Help, please! What are IV's?

Can some one please help me by explaining the process of IV and EV.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I just didn't know where to ask this question.

Also, I tried doing a search but no luck, honestly.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Happy New Year!!!

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2014
    Can anyone give me a good scizor varient that would for into my hyper offensive team. IT's teamates are Kliefky ( dual screen); Gengar ( sweeper); Garchomp (sweeper); Cloyster (sweeper); Goodra (sweeper). I need a varient that can continue momentum when it switches in but has some decent bulk in which it can stand up to physical attackers for at least a while. I know for me I was planning on running the bulky swords dance set with its mega evolution stone.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Can anyone give me a good scizor varient that would for into my hyper offensive team. IT's teamates are Kliefky ( dual screen); Gengar ( sweeper); Garchomp (sweeper); Cloyster (sweeper); Goodra (sweeper). I need a varient that can continue momentum when it switches in but has some decent bulk in which it can stand up to physical attackers for at least a while. I know for me I was planning on running the bulky swords dance set with its mega evolution stone.

Both Choice Band Scizor and bulky SD Scizor are viable for hyper offensive teams:
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower/Brick Break
    -Pursuit/Knock Off
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Technician

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -Bug Bite/U-turn
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/152 Atk/108 SDef
    Item: Leftovers/Scizorite
    Ability: Technician

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I was taking a look at Mega Kangaskhan (definitely OU, but I like to play with toys at least once hehe) and I was curious to a certain choice I see on most gameplay videos - Earthquake.

Earthquake is definitely a strong move, but Strength is power 120 with STAB and a Scrappy Kangaskhan can use it without care before mega-evolving. Strength would also hit annoying flying Pokemon like Talonflame and multiple dragons without any need to switch.

Just curious about the reasoning behind Earthquake over Normal-type moves that have greater power with STAB.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I was taking a look at Mega Kangaskhan (definitely OU, but I like to play with toys at least once hehe) and I was curious to a certain choice I see on most gameplay videos - Earthquake.

Earthquake is definitely a strong move, but Strength is power 120 with STAB and a Scrappy Kangaskhan can use it without care before mega-evolving. Strength would also hit annoying flying Pokemon like Talonflame and multiple dragons without any need to switch.

Just curious about the reasoning behind Earthquake over Normal-type moves that have greater power with STAB.

Most Mega Kangakhans already carry Return, which at max power has a BP of 153 factoring in STAB. Earthquake lets it hit the Steels that resist its normal STAB for supereffective damage, since Power Up Punch is more for boosts, not damage dealing. Return hits flyers/levitaters hard enough, and you really don't need more than one normal type move. The last slot usually is occupied by Crunch or Sucker Punch, allowing it to hit Ghosts and so Scrappy isn't totally necessary.

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Most Mega Kangakhans already carry Return, which at max power has a BP of 153 factoring in STAB. Earthquake lets it hit the Steels that resist its normal STAB for supereffective damage, since Power Up Punch is more for boosts, not damage dealing. Return hits flyers/levitaters hard enough, and you really don't need more than one normal type move. The last slot usually is occupied by Crunch or Sucker Punch, allowing it to hit Ghosts and so Scrappy isn't totally necessary.
    Oh, they run Return! I have never seen it used in a video then. I usually see Power Up Punch, Earthquake, and Sucker Punch.

ENDeverMORE

Totally Free
    Years
  • I half a build for shedinja, but it can't learn swords dance...

Shedinja@focus sash
    Adamant nature
    252atk 252spd
    X-scissor
    Shadow sneak
    Will-o-wisp

Don't know what to put

Also a zoroark I have in the same team.
    Zoroark@
    Modest nature
    252sp.at 252spd
    Dark pulse
    Nasty plot

I don't know what other moves to put, or an item.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I half a build for shedinja, but it can't learn swords dance...

Shedinja@focus sash
    Adamant nature
    252atk 252spd
    X-scissor
    Shadow sneak
    Will-o-wisp

Don't know what to put

Also a zoroark I have in the same team.
    Zoroark@
    Modest nature
    252sp.at 252spd
    Dark pulse
    Nasty plot

I don't know what other moves to put, or an item.
    Shedinja needs a lot of support to even function effectively, mainly getting hazards off the field so it can come in unscathed. In Gens III-IV, Shedinja comes with the moves that Ninjask has upon evolution; this isn't the case in B/W/B2/W2/X/Y, when it comes with the moves that Nincada had, so the only way for Shedinja to have Swords Dance or Baton Pass in Gens V and VI is to transfer a Gen III/IV Shedinja from Poke Transfer:
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Protect
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Baton Pass
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 252 Atk
    Item: Lum Berry/Focus Sash

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Shadow Sneak/Shadow Claw
    -X-Scissor
    -Will-o-Wisp/Protect
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe

Zoroark must always use a Timid nature because it's outsped by neutral base 100 Speed Pokemon otherwise:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Dark Pulse
    -Flamethrower
    -Focus Blast
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Is this tier X/Y OU? If this is so, Mega Blastoise, Excadrill and Forretress are good Rapid Spinners for you to include:

Mega Blastoise:
    -Water Pulse/Scald/Hydro Pump
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Blastoisnite

Excadrill:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head/Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    -Stealth Rock/Swords Dance
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Chople Berry/Air Balloon
    Ability: Mold Breaker

or
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide/X-Scissor/Shadow Claw
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Choice Scarf

Forretress:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Gyro Ball/Earthquake
    -Volt Switch
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy

ENDeverMORE

Totally Free
    Years
  • Shedinja needs a lot of support to even function effectively, mainly getting hazards off the field so it can come in unscathed. In Gens III-IV, Shedinja comes with the moves that Ninjask has upon evolution; this isn't the case in B/W/B2/W2/X/Y, when it comes with the moves that Nincada had, so the only way for Shedinja to have Swords Dance or Baton Pass in Gens V and VI is to transfer a Gen III/IV Shedinja from Poke Transfer:
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Protect
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Baton Pass
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 252 Atk

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Shadow Sneak/Shadow Claw
    -X-Scissor
    -Will-o-Wisp/Protect
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe

Zoroark must always use a Timid nature because it's outsped by neutral base 100 Speed Pokemon otherwise:
    -Nasty Plot
    -Dark Pulse
    -Flamethrower
    -Focus Blast
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash

Is this tier X/Y OU? If this is so, Mega Blastoise, Excadrill and Forretress are good Rapid Spinners for you to include:

Mega Blastoise:
    -Water Pulse/Scald/Hydro Pump
    -Dark Pulse
    -Aura Sphere/Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
    Item: Blastoisnite

Excadrill:
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head/Rock Slide
    -Rapid Spin
    -Stealth Rock/Swords Dance
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Chople Berry/Air Balloon

or
    -Earthquake
    -Iron Head
    -Rock Slide/X-Scissor/Shadow Claw
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Choice Scarf

Forretress:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Rapid Spin
    -Gyro Ball/Earthquake
    -Volt Switch
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    I'm, very new to competitive pokemon, shedinja's one of my favourite pokes, so I wanted to make a team around him,and the idea of zoroark disguised as him caught my eye. my hazards remover was mandibuzz... alright yeah my team is crap ^^;
    Mega banette, aegislash, and umbreon...

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm, very new to competitive pokemon, shedinja's one of my favourite pokes, so I wanted to make a team around him,and the idea of zoroark disguised as him caught my eye. my hazards remover was mandibuzz... alright yeah my team is crap ^^;
    Mega banette, aegislash, and umbreon...
    Remember that you need to include Pokemon that can easily cover for Shedinja's weaknesses. All three of the Pokemon you mentioned stack weaknesses with what you currently have. As I mentioned, Mega Blastoise is one of the best hazard removers to pair with Shedinja. To expand, it covers for its Fire weakness, removes opposing Ghost Pokemon with Dark Pulse, opposing Dark Pokemon with Aura Sphere and also makes an offensive threat with Mega Launcher-boosted Water Pulses (or the burn chance of Scald or the raw power of Hydro Pump).

Pokemon that bring in Shedinja with a slow U-turn or Volt Switch are also good fits on the team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Can magnezone wall?
    He'd have STAB on volt switch

Magnezone's best niche in OU is trapping and eliminating Steels (minus Aegislash) with Magnet Pull:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Volt Switch
    -Flash Cannon
    -Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
    Nature: Modest/Timid/Quiet
    EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe (Modest), 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe (Timid) or 252 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk (Quiet)
    Item: Choice Specs (Modest/Quiet)/Choice Scarf (Timid)
    Ability: Magnet Pull/Analytic (latter for Quiet nature only)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Can magnezone wall?
    He'd have STAB on volt switch

Magnezone's defenses aren't bad, but they aren't good enough to wall stuff. Especially when it has a 4x weakness to Ground, and is weak to Fighting and Fire, 2 common attacking types. And walls don't really use Volt Switch or U-turn much. You can't exactly wall something if you aren't there.

ENDeverMORE

Totally Free
    Years
  • Magnezone's defenses aren't bad, but they aren't good enough to wall stuff. Especially when it has a 4x weakness to Ground, and is weak to Fighting and Fire, 2 common attacking types. And walls don't really use Volt Switch or U-turn much. You can't exactly wall something if you aren't there.

Would Gliscor be good w/ u turn?
    Answer to fire and fighting
    This for a shedinja team BTW

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Would Gliscor be good w/ u turn?
    Answer to fire and fighting
    This for a shedinja team BTW

Kind of, to an extent:
    -Earthquake
    -Substitute