• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] PvP with Fakemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Over the time spent working on my game, I've built up a pretty sizable database of fake Pokemon with new moves, stats, and abilities. And while that's perfectly fine exciting in-game, one of the biggest joys of playing Pokemon is being able to battle against your friends, test out different strategies and see what works when you're challenging real people. RMXP doesn't have built-in internet connectivity or player-versus-player, so there has to be another way...

There are a number of battle simulators on the net, the biggest ones being Pokemon Showdown and Pokemon Online, and so my question is: is it possible to have a custom server on one of these platforms so that players can battle using fakemon? Showdown certainly has the functionality to add fakemon, since they have the Smogon Create-A-Pokemon available to use. However, when it comes to making a custom server, the functionality just isn't there for regular people -- it would have to be coded in.

Apparently, Pokemon Online's systems are more flexible, and there have actually been some customized metagames on there. I'm not as familiar with POL, though, so is there anyone here that knows more about it?

Gexeys

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2015
    Had a quick look around and Showdown seems a fairly solid bet, here's the offical server files which you use to host your own server. https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown
    Snooping around the config files and such makes me think that adding in fakemon is fairly easy. Data/Pokedex.js contains all the information in text for each pokemon so I assume adding to this is fairly simple.

Years
  • That's an online game rather than a battle simulator.
    And I did a bit a looking around again and I think showdown is possibly the best way to go about it as it works from a website.

I stopped by the Showdown dev IRC channel to ask the developers if it was possible, but unfortunately they were rather unhelpful and dismissive. Apparently fakemon functionality doesn't really exist yet, so I'd have to code it in. I'm no coder, and I don't have a computer to host the server... so it looks like Showdown is a dead end.

It's too bad... that sort of thing would be really cool.

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
  • I stopped by the Showdown dev IRC channel to ask the developers if it was possible, but unfortunately they were rather unhelpful and dismissive. Apparently fakemon functionality doesn't really exist yet, so I'd have to code it in. I'm no coder, and I don't have a computer to host the server... so it looks like Showdown is a dead end.

It's too bad... that sort of thing would be really cool.

As a matter of fact, me and my friends have a pretty decent server, which we could provide hosting on, but you'd still need to adress the problem of not being able to code it.

Years
  • As a matter of fact, me and my friends have a pretty decent server, which we could provide hosting on, but you'd still need to adress the problem of not being able to code it.

That's really great, thank you for the offer! I'll send you a PM.

Back on topic for this thread, obviously there has to be SOME functionality to add new Pokemon in, since they already have the Smogon CAP, but I imagine the process for adding them in is rather coding-intensive. Also I don't know how well it functions with adding in new moves and abilities.

Alternatively, if there's a way to integrate a multiplayer trade-battle system in Essentials, that would effectively cut out the middleman. The system that northrone posted looks very cool, even though it looks like it's still in beta at the moment. However, it doesn't provide the same ease of access and flexibility that a free teambuilder and battle simulator would offer. A simulator would also allow us to test the Pokemon for balance.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I particularly love to see a big simulator with Fakemons and new moves/abilities. I really wish to see a more balanced metagame with less tiers. At a simulator is really more practical to use several teams than a multiplayer battle.

It's very easy to create a team building mode/screen at Essentials compared to adapt Essentials for functional multiplayer battles.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2014
    Dr. Fuji's lab has a smogon server and allows users to create fakemon, that they call labmons. These guys are really helpful and supportive and I'm sure you could get fakemon in as long they are not overpowered or cheap.

btw not trying to be fourm necromancer just wanted to tell you because I had the same problem with my need to battle my fakemons competitively

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It's easy to not revive a thread. You don't even have to do anything.

Thread closed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back