• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Dubbed] Pokemon SM marathon July 1

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Pokémon SM will be airing pretty much all day and night this Saturday July 1 other than two showings of the most recent movie and a few episodes of Beyblade and Yo-Kai Watch starting at 6am et until 10:30pm et (the Volcanion movie will reair at 10:30pm and then there will be an overnight marathon of XYZ episodes). This marathon includes 6 new episodes from 9am until 12pm.

Thoughts? 6 new episodes if this is true (6 is according to my service provider's program guide and I saw it's supposed to be 3 new ones on a Gamefaqs forum post from last month) is certainly overkill. Either they're just trying to get further caught up to Japan, or the show is doing either well and they're taking advantage of the franchise's current popularity or it's doing poorly and they're trying to burn off episodes. A promo I saw this morning also gave at least a couple of spoilers for those who haven't seen the subbed episodes already.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm guessing that the format of Sun & Moon is not being successful enough and they're trying to burn off episodes. I just have a bad feeling that they're going to try and end things sooner rather than get even more caught up to Japan.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • There's no reason to do this. At all.

Doing BS like this will just make it go into another longer-than-it-should-be hiatus sooner.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. Another channel treating the Pokemon anime like crap.

:|

Years
  • I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. Another channel treating the Pokemon anime like crap.

:|

I remember the news when it was announced that Disney XD had acquired the rights to the Pokemon anime in the US and I was heavily concerned. Looks like my fears of a huge hiatus have all but been confirmed, since I know they tend to air a lot of episodes of their shows in bulk which causes a huge wait for episodes that are still yet to air.

There's also the fact Disney XD is less accessible than Cartoon Network is, so that could blame for the underperformance as well.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • That is the main reason. XD is a side channel, it's not Main Disney Channel {E/W}, so the cable companies tend to bill it and treat it as an additional channel which is not available on your basic cable package. You may be required to purchase a "Kids" pack, or worse pay a fee just for that channel.

It may be wrapped into some bundle deals but Availability may vary with geographic area

Worse is how badly formatted Disney XD IS ANYWAY. They keep cramming the lineup with trash shows and then marathoning them too. This makes it difficult to catch episodes.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • I can't believe I'm about to say this... but...

They may have been better off staying on Cartoon Network. Despite that channels clear turn-to-shit (with the exception being Toonami of course)

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • If memory serves, the Japanese dub is up to Episode 31(32 to air soon) while the English dub is only up to 15. That's a full 16 weeks or nearly 4 months worth of Episodes behind so airing 6 new Episodes in one massive block is merely a means to catch up as I see it. Besides, not everyone watches shows on TV anymore. Tons of people stream or watch shows On Demand, which AFAIK, isn't factored into the viewership ratings. Therefore, a show's TV rating is not indicative of a show's popularity and with more people cutting the cord each and every day, those ratings become more meaningless.

I will agree though that Disney XD isn't as widely accessible as regular Disney or the old Cartoon Network where nearly all past generations of Pokemon aired so that might have an impact.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    It's not like they're way behind. The dub episodes used to air a year or more after the Japanese episode, although that was before the originals were available to watch online the day they premiered. Ratings aren't as big a deal anymore, especially for cable, but they still do matter for networks and advertisers. We don't know why they're doing this marathon without getting an official quote from someone from Disney, but it does seem like they're looking for burn off episodes.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Ugh, if only I was more active to know this information sooner, because I've missed out recording all of the 6 dubbed titles except for the one that airs every Saturday morning.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Ugh, if only I was more active to know this information sooner, because I've missed out recording all of the 6 dubbed titles except for the one that airs every Saturday morning.

At least they're on other sites, though the quality may not be as good but better than nothing :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    See if your provider has the episodes on demand. Mine (Fios) puts them up on demand the same day and commercial free.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Check to see if you can watch them on demand through your Cable Box or ISP(like Hulu or any Internet TV provider that might have their content). If all else fails, there's Youtube since I've watched every single Japanese Dub with English Sub's on there. Already know the plot before the English dub even airs.

If they're looking to burn off Episodes, what are they burning it off for? Star vs. the Forces of Evil returns 7/15 but that's 1 program that doesn't occupy the same time slot. Star Wars Rebels won't be on again for another 2-3 months and a few other Marvel programs floating around(including a new Spiderman). There isn't enough new content to justify Pokemon Sun&Moon to lose their current spot.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    It's either a sign that the show is doing well and they're milking it while it's popular, or the show is doing poorly and they want to accelerate the airings to get it over with quicker.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • ^ Disney just doesn't know how to run their animated shows properly... almost all the shows that where moved to Disney XD got axed. so who knows... it might be doing horribly for all we know.

Years
  • Cid is right.

When a show fails on Disney Channel it gets dumped on Disney XD, where its chances of surviving are very low. Basically, many Disney XD shows never survive so I could have seen this marathon as a way of burning off episodes, and weighs on my theory that Disney XD's notable lack of accessibility compared to Cartoon Network may be why SM is failing.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Or it's just the show itself. It's not like XD has never had a show be successful and have a following.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • I feel like the show is doing fairly well personally but its just not shown through ratings because not everyone has access to Disney XD and instead rely on third party sites or Youtube to watch the series. Like myself xD

In regards to those 6 shows, I thought they were pretty good and allowed us to get to know Ash's friends a lot better. I like Mallow's and Sophocles' episodes the most. And I'm pumped that Ash finally caught Litten. Bout time :)

Back