• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you do not want in Gen 8

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
What I also don't want is an empty post game. Or the game with withheld features being released.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
-Excessive hand holding
-Unskippable tutorials
-Long, unskippable cutscenes (especially between choosing your starter and viewing its stats, and between 2 battles)
-One character hogging up the spotlight
-The return of HM's
-A battle facility in which the RNG is rigged and/or the AI cheats (Battle Maison)
-Only new Pokemon available
-No trainer customization
-No way to skip the credits or at least go through them faster

Last edited:
Years
If there's any criticism of Gen 7 that I agree upon, it's the hand-holding. Hoping that Gen 8, at the very least, keeps that to a minimum.

Years
For Nebby to get out of his bag.

Okay, okay, okay...

- Character customisation: just design great characters like the good old days! That way I don't have to plan socks for an hour.
- A best bud for a rival: come on! Can't you sabotage me?! A little backtalk? Dirty tactics? If I wanted a helpful friend on my journey, I would have asked my mom to come. Well, this isn't a big priority to me but I think a rival should actually be determined to be better than you.
- Rotom's advice and constant frown. Besides that, I like him.
- No difficulty.
- Nice guys at every turn.
- No endgame.
- No option to rebattle trainers later down the track: how the heck am I supposed to make a new team?

Don't get me wrong - I love this game. Very good memories. But it needs a lot of work.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
For Nebby to get out of his bag.

Okay, okay, okay...

- Character customisation: just design great characters like the good old days! That way I don't have to plan socks for an hour.
- A best bud for a rival: come on! Can't you sabotage me?! A little backtalk? Dirty tactics? If I wanted a helpful friend on my journey, I would have asked my mom to come. Well, this isn't a big priority to me but I think a rival should actually be determined to be better than you.
- Rotom's advice and constant frown. Besides that, I like him.
- No difficulty.
- Nice guys at every turn.
- No endgame.
- No option to rebattle trainers later down the track: how the heck am I supposed to make a new team?

Don't get me wrong - I love this game. Very good memories. But it needs a lot of work.
I agree with all of this bar the first one. Clothing customisation is great. And besides, you can just stick with the default clothes; I know a friend who did that in XY for instance.

Years
I agree with all of this bar the first one. Clothing customisation is great. And besides, you can just stick with the default clothes; I know a friend who did that in XY for instance.

I'm just not crazy about the art style or the designs recently. Callum from X/Y was okay, but things have gone downhill since the days of Pokemon Black/White 2. Ideally, the artistic direction would revert to its ultimate state...
BEHOLD
Spoiler:

Those days were awesome. But I kinda want to swap out Ken Sugimori for Oda Eiichiro, or maybe even Akira Toriyama. Well, sure, people might confuse Pokemon for Dragon Quest but that's better than Yokai Watch, right?

But if character customisation persists, I hope they expand the selection and colour ranges.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
Only one Eeveelution
No remake of D/P
No Cerberus
No other ancient pokemon (i would like an Cave bear or Eohippus pokemon please)

More soon

Alyssandra

in Wonderland
Years
  1. Excessive hand-holding
  2. Failure to include different ?levels? e.g. Novice, Intermediate, Veteran, Master
  3. Few ?new? Pokemon beyond additional mega evolutions, pre- and post-evolutions, etc.
  4. Generation VIII-specific legendary / ancient Pokemon
  5. Inability to customize trainer and lack of customization choices
  6. Removal of PokeAmi, PokePelago and PokeFestival Plaza
  7. Zero competitive attitude/dynamic between you and your rival
  8. Removal of PokeMounts / reintroduction of HMs
  9. Lame story with no real feeling of impending disaster to motivate play
  10. Stale character development for secondary characters
  11. Ridiculous, non-threatening ?bad guy? team e.g. Team Skull, Team Plasma
  12. Reveal of Pokemon Go professor as the Gen VIII region professor
  13. Failure to reintroduce rotational and inverse battles introduced in Gen V
  14. Failure to reintroduce wild double battles and shaking bushes
  15. Failure to reintroduce PokeCompetitions (Gen III)
  16. Failure to reintroduce accessible Kurt Balls / apricots
  17. Failure to create new Pokeball types
  18. Failure to render the game compatible with PokeBank
  19. Failure to permit players to battle in casual tourneys online

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2022
- Boring rivals. I feel like we haven't had interesting rivals since gen 5, and even then 1 of the two rivals in that gen was still pretty boring. I want more rivals like Barry, Gary, and Silver. We have too many rivals that are fine with you winning, and don't really show they want to succeed until maybe the last battle, but by that point, I already have a set depiction of the rival. This is a big reason I'm not a fan of Hau. He'll randomly challenge you to a battle, but won't actually take it seriously until the final battle.

My favorite rival was probably Barry. He had an actual role in the main story and I feel like the player had constant interactions with them that felt natural. He was quirky, which made him stand out compared to other rivals but could still be serious. It felt like we were actually going on an adventure together, rather than against each other or separately.

Also, stick with 2 rivals at the most. X and Y had too many characters. I feel like none of them stood apart, and overall they just felt bland. It felt like the story would have progressed the same even if they had not been there. 2 is great so that players can have 1 easy win, but still have to train to beat the other rival. This also then shows younger trainers the importance of types.

- No Vs. Seeker, or other way to rematch trainers. Please, there are only so many trainers. I need a way to make money and grind without it feeling too grindy.

- No new eeveelution. Give me a dragon Eevee named Draceon you cowards.

- What a ton of other people are saying- Handholding. I agree with this so much. However, I don't want it to go back to how it was in Red and Blue. As a child, I was confused about where to go and what to do. There was very little guidance. I want something like a phone in a pokecenter that the player can interact with if they don't know where to go next. When used, the player would call the professor for the region and the professor would give some hint about where to go. The first time a player uses the device it would give a detailed description like "*player name* did you know that *cave name* connects 4 different cities together? There was an earthquake recently, so some of the tunnels are still blocked off, but I think the tunnel leading to *city name* is still intact. It'll be some time until the other tunnels are clear, why not head to *city name*". Every interaction after that would just be a brief message like "You should head to *city name* through *cave name*". The importance of this is not only giving players some detail pertaining to the world and explaining why they can't access certain areas, but it's also giving some guidance and with the second interaction onward it'll just be a brief reminder about where to go. Each of these interactions would change based on what stage you are in the story. There would be enough interactions to give some guidance, while not too much to spoil the players about what they need to be doing.

There would be a small cutscene showing the player the item, maybe do a forced first interaction (like with the pokenav in emerald, and how after getting it you had to call Mr. Stone). This way, it would show people how to use it, but then they could choose to never use it again.

Alyssandra

in Wonderland
Years
Now that I think of it, I completely forgot to mention one of my Gen VII peeves,

• Shiny charm post-regional DEX

Gen VIII better bring back the national DEX + Gen VI shiny charm requirements. I do not want to see another hokey way of getting it like in Gen VII.

SnowPuppy

help
Years
The things that bother me have, for the most part, been mentioned in this thread so I won't repeat them. One thing that hasn't been said, however, is shiny locks. It's a bit much to ask, I know, but a want doesn't have to exactly be realistic.

Shiny locks are just no fun. If you get a shiny, then chances are you worked for it, and after however many encounters, you got it. If it's a random shiny, then you have amazing luck and you should (+ probably do) feel amazing- well done! But you can't get any of those shinies when they're locked outside of events and cheating, however much you want them. The events may take years to come, and when- IF- it does it's not "your" shiny. It doesn't feel special, earned or lucky. It's just a Pok?mon that you and thousands of others were given for free. It doesn't feel of value.

Locks have been becoming more and more prominent with more recent games. I guess it's kind of okay at the level it is right now, but if the next game locks, say, the starters, then I'll be sad.

Back