• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[3DS Wifi] Double Trouble Team [Doubles Battle]

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
Years
  • I was pondering an interesting team to come up with for a doubles battle and then an interesting concept came to me, how about a team that has two of the same pokemon with different set-ups to help each other out (or individually). Ok before we start lets get some housekeeping out of the way:

1. This team does NOT follow Smogon rules (This team better suits competitive play in-game, so please don't bash this because it doesn't follow smogon meta-game.)
    2. This team is for fun and isn't strictly designed to cover all weaknesses etc etc, its just a fun way to use certain abilities.
    3. This thread is put as a resource because it isn't asking for team help, nor fit any other category, plus it can be referred to should players want the stats to use in their own teams.

Ok that out of the way lets delve in, so this team works on some interesting concepts, there are three pairs of different pokemon for this battle that use Contrary, Simple, Volt absorb and Water Absorb.

You can use any pair as leads but i tend to use them in this order:

Depth Charge
    5IV (no attack) - Calm - Assault Vest
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: HP - 220, Def - 252, Spec Def - 38

Moves: Charge Beam, Discharge, Ice Beam, Dazzling Gleam

Photic Zone
    5IV (no attack) - Calm - Assault Vest
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    EVs: HP - 220, Def - 252, Spec Def - 38

Moves: Charge Beam, Surf, Ice Beam, Dazzling Gleam

Rage Quit
    5IV (no speed) - Careful - Leftovers
    Ability: Contrary
    EVs: HP - 252, Def - 58, Spec Def - 200

Moves: Toxic, Infestation, Knock off, Rest

Fukle
    5IV (no speed) - Careful - Leftovers
    Ability: Contrary
    EVs: HP - 252, Def - 58, Spec Def - 200

Moves: Sticky Web, Stealth Rock, Knock off, Rest

Camella
    5IV (no attack) - Calm - Eviolite
    Ability: Simple
    EVs: HP - 246, Def - 164, Spec Def - 100

Moves: Rest, Sleep Talk, Lava Plume, Stockpile

Humphrey
    5IV (no attack) - Calm - Eviolite
    Ability: Simple
    EVs: HP - 246, Def - 164, Spec Def - 100

Moves: Ancient Power, Earth Power, Stockpile, Lava Plume

Ok for this strategy your two Lanturns will want to use Charge beam for a couple of turns (depending on if its safe to do so) to power up their SPA, then one uses Discharge (healing the other and damaging both opponents) and the other uses Surf (again healing the other and damaging your opponents). If any pokemon resist or nullify either electric or water you can use dazzling gleam for damage or ice beam to counter your grass and ground weaknesses.

With the Shuckles they are move for utility, having Knock off to remove opponents items, trapping them with infestation and toxic to deal main damage, Rest is used incase you get poisoned or burned yourself to heal and contrary is their to boost your defenses should your opponent try to lower them to do damage (thus making you even more tanky at their expense! Sticky Web and Rocks are there if one of your Lanturns dies and you wish to set up (basically to just annoy the shite outa your opponent).

The Numels are there for stockpile tanking with the help from Eviolite these beasts have over 200 odd defense BEFORE stockpile, though Ancient power is also useful to boost all stats, i was actually thinking of removing Lava plume on the Numel with sleep talk and using Ancient power to be even more of a "Dick" to my opponent, though Lava plume is to do damage to all your opponents while taking minimal damage on your team mate (if both Numels are out)

If you want to see this team in action i have an upload of me using it and causing the other person to forfeit:

Opposition Forfeit: W7FW-WWWW-WW2F-C6NC
    5-0 Win: UD2W-WWWW-WW2F-UUTD

What do you guys think, is this the most scumbag team ever?! ahahaha i sure hope so. It was really fun using it.

Last edited:

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • First and foremost, you already went to the extent of using a 3DS WiFi tag, so flaming Smogon is a bit uncalled for. However, since this is on cartridge, I'm assuming that you're playing unranked BattleSpot, because ranked BattleSpot has a species clause as well as an item clause that would both make this team illegal.

What do you guys think, is this the most scumbag team ever?!

Not really. You're using 3 slow Pokemon and have no speed control. Your strategies rely on intimidating your opponent into switching but nothing on your team is threatening enough to really take advantage of that. Even on goodstuffs teams, entry hazards tend to be wasted move slots in Doubles because switching is significantly less frequent in the format. You're better off going for spread moves and speed control in most cases. Also, your team isn't particularly powerful, so it can be subverted with ease.

Speaking of speed control, this team only has Discharge's 30% paralysis chance going for it, which is too slim of a chance to rely on for your momentum. Also, the damage done by an AV Lanturne would be negligible. You might try putting Choice Specs on one of your Lanturnes and using Icy Wind in place of Ice Beam.

If I were battling this team I would probably just QuakeSlide to victory. You'll be battling a lot of Groudon that run that combo in the format. You might want to consider replacing your clones with counters for common threats. I'd recommend a slow Kyogre for those Groudon, or a strong Ground-type like Garchomp or Landorus.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Why Numel? I mean, if I was gonna use a Stockpile thing, my first choice wouldn't really be a NFE 'mon with poor base stats that's weak to a common spread move and is 4x weak to a very common and good attacking type....

However, since this is on cartridge, I'm assuming that you're playing unranked BattleSpot, because ranked BattleSpot has a species clause as well as an item clause that would both make this team illegal.
    Doesn't unrated Battle Spot have species clause too? I think it does at least. Haven't done any of it in a while so I don't really remember.

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • First and foremost, you already went to the extent of using a 3DS WiFi tag, so flaming Smogon is a bit uncalled for. However, since this is on cartridge, I'm assuming that you're playing unranked BattleSpot, because ranked BattleSpot has a species clause as well as an item clause that would both make this team illegal.

Forgive me if i'm being an idiot but i don't recall bashing/flaming smogon in my post, i've merely mentioned that this team isn't made for Smogon followers as its not made for Smogon competitive play. if i did flame Smogon in anyway you have my apologies as i never intended to. if you can refer me to said flame i'd gladly remove it.

Why Numel? I mean, if I was gonna use a Stockpile thing, my first choice wouldn't really be a NFE 'mon with poor base stats that's weak to a common spread move and is 4x weak to a very common and good attacking type....

Doesn't unrated Battle Spot have species clause too? I think it does at least. Haven't done any of it in a while so I don't really remember.

This team is for just Wifi 6v6 battles not battle spot (i don't play battlespot too often). The Numels are there for the Eviolite and because its something different to try out, Eviolite increases both Def and Spec Def and with the investment into both in their build means they can get very bulky, you are correct with they do fall foul to common weaknesses however my team building is meant for fun and for a challenge rather than to be built specifically for beating everyone. You'd be surprised just how tanky Numels can be ;)

As i mentioned in other thread i've done on teams, my teams are aimed at offering a different way to battle which can be soley down to one or two gimmicks, one strategy or just sheer odd tactics. Your opponents aren't going to expect to be fighting Numels, however with Simple Stockpile, they become extremely bulky very quickly, thus dampening those common weaknesses.

Speaking of speed control, this team only has Discharge's 30% paralysis chance going for it, which is too slim of a chance to rely on for your momentum. Also, the damage done by an AV Lanturne would be negligible. You might try putting Choice Specs on one of your Lanturnes and using Icy Wind in place of Ice Beam.
    Using charge beam to power up your multi hit moves helps make Lanturn more threatening, i like to battle with unexpected teams, people underestimate teams that don't use common pokemon which gives you a slight advantage in how you play them. for example, not many people would naturally expect each lanturn to absorb the others discharge and surf, with the assault vests on both means they can be very bulky.

My teams are designed to have a bit of fun battling with a challenging team, i am well aware of the many flaws this team has, but thats the fun part of using it, trying to master the team and perhaps altering some of the moves to better deal with the pokemon that can wall them. Groudon is the biggest threat to the Lanturns being immune to Discharge and Surf, but if Groudon is not sent out first and the Lanturns get a few charge beams off, their Ice beams can see to a groudon just fine. Replacing any pokemon would lose the teams concept of being "double trouble". I don't tend to play using ubers/legendaries or pokemon with 600+ base stats because i think they are boring and easy to win with. I like a challenge and beating high base stat teams with my weaker 'Mons as its more satisfying.

The speed of this team isn't too much of an issue, infact it helps this team to a degree (think about it, you want to be damaged first to take advantage of the Lanturns healing each other, no point outspeeding and healing when you've taken no damage right?)

I'd like to thank you both for your comments and feedback, its just nice to see what people think, if you don't like the team, thats perfectly OK and i respect that, if you want to try it out then great! :D i'm just here to share some different ways to battle. some of them may appeal to you, some may not. but knowledge is power :D

Last edited:
    Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Instead of Sticky Web, you're probably better of using Trick Room. If you don't even care about your opponent being faster, then running Sticky Web makes even less sense. All you're going to do with that is giving opposing Bisharp+Milotic (two of the mons that can ruin your day even if you have a good team) a free boost in their respective offensive stats.

Also Protect, because everything in Double Battles runs Protect. Also, you call that Scumbag team, but you don't even have a single mon, that runs Rock Slide?

Neo_Angelo

Used Discharge!
    Years
  • Instead of Sticky Web, you're probably better of using Trick Room. If you don't even care about your opponent being faster, then running Sticky Web makes even less sense. All you're going to do with that is giving opposing Bisharp+Milotic (two of the mons that can ruin your day even if you have a good team) a free boost in their respective offensive stats.

Also Protect, because everything in Double Battles runs Protect. Also, you call that Scumbag team, but you don't even have a single mon, that runs Rock Slide?

The sticky web and rocks is because my Shuckle is actually set up for singles, though, it has Knock off to remove items, that particular shuckle is there to stall rather than anything else. speed isn't really an issue in this team as the lanturns prefer going last, shuckles are so bulky they don't even care when they make a turn and Contrary is there to counter the lack of speed if the opponents go for status altering moves, and rest for any damaging moves, the only things that could use a speed boost would be the Numels, though they both run stockpile making them +6 in three turns, then speed doesn't really matter.

Thats my thinking behind the strategy anyway.

Back