• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinions on the Future of Pokémon's Meta

Aduitt

Confused
Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Opinions on the Future of Pok?mon's Meta

For a couple weeks now, I've been thinking about what the Pok?mon TCG's meta will be after the rotation hits. Of course decks such as Zoroark GX will still be heavily played. However; with Buzzwole out of the picture, decks such as Malamar will drop in popularity. This may happen as the only meta deck it can counter will be itself. Not to mention the decks weakness to Dark (Zoroark GX)

From what I can tell, the Meta will need another Fighting Type deck to replace the loss of a Buzzwole. Zoroark decks will obviously just run Lycanroc GX more commonly, but what about non-Zoroark GX decks?
    I feel as though decks such as Lycanroc GX, Lucario GX and Garchomp (Fighting) could possibly see some play during the next format. However; this could not be the case. As we all know: Making a deck to counter one particular deck is never a good idea.
    It will be more likely that a deck such as Ultra Beast Tool Box will take the place of Buzzwole because they themselves are an incredibly versatile deck. Also, they can run Buzzwole.

Note: I know I said that Buzzwole would die. What I meant to say was that Buzzwole focused decks will be no where near as good as current Buzzwole decks. Decks that can tech in a Buzzwole or two should still be able to be viable.

My predictions of what decks will be most likely be played post rotation are as follows:
    - Metagross GX (Solid deck that can make use of Stevens resolve. Not to mention it counters Gardivoir GX)
    - Ho-Oh GX (If Metagross becomes somehow meta, this deck will be used to counter it)
    - Dragons (Decks that use Dragonite GX/Raquaza GX seem to be very viable)
    - Gardivoir (This will most probably be played to counter Dragon decks. Even against non Dragon decks, this deck can really hold its own)
    - Zoroark GX (Obviously)
    - Sceptile GX (The recently announced Grass support will really help this deck out)
    - Tapu Bulu GX (The recently announced Grass support will really help this deck out)

I?d like to end this post by asking a question. What decks will you be playing post rotation? Why?

Last edited:

Aduitt

Confused
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Personally, I'm going to stick with rogue decks. It's the cheaper way to play and I have more fun with them.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Buzzwole survives because it hasn't lost Beast Ring, baby Buzz or Beast Energy.

Beastbox becomes bigger, much bigger

Shiftry makes a massive impact

Ray makes an impact for a few months

Gardy returns

Metagross returns

Zoroark Magcargo , Zoroark Banette and Zoroark Lycanroc knock around for a while

Squids-Necrozma stays, but isnt as good as it is now.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Post rotation I'm playing my own Banette-Zoro deck, it hard counters Buzz and Ray and provides good coverage for other decks.

Going to be running either Sceptile or Magcargo-Turtanator down the line

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I'll ride my 2 current IRL decks as far as they take me at this point. Losing stuff like Splash Energy hurts penguins, but whatever. Might switch my current Zoroark mess to Swampert though. We shall see.

I want Sceptile/Leafeon to be playable. But Shiftry does seem better. Reminds me of Yanmega Prime for some reason.

Ray looks fun and I'll probably proxy build it anyway. I'll probably go Ray/Manectric/Sceptile until I get enough results to realize it's REALLY janky. With a 2-2 Zoroark to beat up any pesky Banette coughHandscough.

And then the rest of my decks need massive updates in a month. I'm not sure I can pull off Alolan Dugtrio without Starmie (the 2-2 Starmie is every rotated card in that deck iirc), but it's worth a try. Rotom needs new Tools quite literally, but Hustle Belt helps, if all goes to hell I have Dashing Pouch and MFP as throw-aways. Losing FFB and Float sucks.

Back