• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
Years
  • Gummy
    Seems generic enough to me.
    The colors are nice, and the stock is interesting.
    I'm not much for the size, it's too small for the size of the stock, in my opinion.
    Lacks depth, and is a bit too chaotic and random, leaving an overall sense of monotony throughout the peice, not enough variation throughout it.
    It's okay.

EDIT: Pst, I like what you did with the shield, my favorite part.

I guess I have to put like.
    RATE GUMMY'S BANNER
    or something.

Asmo-deus

Psychomancy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Hmm, now it's banner making time.

Gummy: I like the fact that you manage to make it look like it belonged to the scenery, mostbanners with 3D image I see has it's focal being the one being left out. There's not really much complain here, but I suggest you make it a little lighter, I dunno, maybe becuase I'm used of having my banner being Light?

--

Meh, my first banner for a while. I'm dying to make this kind of banner.

Oh, it seems that I need to need 15 post or more. Meh, I guess I have nothing to post here but rate Gummy's banner?

Gummy:
    Hokay, here are the things you can work on. Try to keep the flow of the tag complementing the focal rather than drawing the eye away from it. (ie. the bubble c4ds floating around). Also, try making the tag look a little more "clean". You've got a weird looking case of floating torso/body syndrome going on here. So yea, fix that if you get what I'm trying to say :D

Things that are good include the whole grungy feel of the tag. I really think you pulled it off (besides what I said before about "cleaning it up". Again if you even understand what I mean xD). For the most part effects are strong, and so is the smudging(?).

Good job.

---

I have nothing.
    HAVE FUN RATING GUMMY'S TAG!

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    2d8l6qp.jpg

gummy: its quite nice, but a bit OTT with the effects and c4ds. Take some out so theres some more flow and depth. The shield is a bit awkward and the focal is hard to recognise. Use gradient maps aswell to blend the render with the BG. Good job overall.

RATE GUMMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk

z-5.png

and i know its too focused on the text but its so people will go to the shop so it was intended to be like that

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Gunners:
    First of all, although you say the text is meant to stick out as it is for advertising, I think it would stick out even more and at the same time blend in better if it were the colour white. There is white on the tag so it isn't like a sore thumb and stick out but it sticks out because it is dark in that corner. If that makes no sense don't worry. :P I think the border ruins the tag though, either scrap it or give it a white border. I reckon just get rid of it...
    Minor nitpick which really couldn't be evaded with those images, they all have different lighting sources. So when you put the light source under Gengar, it is the wrong one for Absol but it isn't obvious and the complete opposite on Porygon. Either scrap the light source altogether or put in 3. I have no idea how that will look though... :x
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    revengecopy.png

A recent tag I made experimenting.

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
  • Gunners:
    First of all, although you say the text is meant to stick out as it is for advertising, I think it would stick out even more and at the same time blend in better if it were the colour white. There is white on the tag so it isn't like a sore thumb and stick out but it sticks out because it is dark in that corner. If that makes no sense don't worry. :P I think the border ruins the tag though, either scrap it or give it a white border. I reckon just get rid of it...
    Minor nitpick which really couldn't be evaded with those images, they all have different lighting sources. So when you put the light source under Gengar, it is the wrong one for Absol but it isn't obvious and the complete opposite on Porygon. Either scrap the light source altogether or put in 3. I have no idea how that will look though... :x
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    revengecopy.png

A recent tag I made experimenting.

I like it, I can't give any criticism
    it's perfect in every way, except for the little blue box in the corner (it doesn't seem like it belongs there)

99%

rate please.
    30ljtk6.png

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
  • rate please.
    30ljtk6.png

It needs alot of work.
    The background is not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes, and the white clashes with the blues, and the lines are just not attractive, they create a sort of chaos in an otherwise, peaceful night-star background.
    The stock does not incoporate well with the peice. It does not blend, the colors are completely different, and it has no focal, or dominance in the peice, feels very random.
    The border is awkward, but overlookable.
    And for the text, typography should not be in a piece, unless it's going to visually enhance the peice. This does nothing but distract me, and add another unblended element into an already diffusive piece.

Sorry if I seem harsh, I just put it as I see it.
    RATE ANGELA'S BANNER

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Angela:
    Render doesn't blend in at all. It's dark green / red on a blue canvas. I don't like the background; it looks like you made a space-like image and just slapped some light brushes on top of it. I don't see the banner as much more than a render slapped onto a space-ish background. The render, background, and the text clash with each other. The text sticks out like a sore thumb, and isn't blended well at all. I recommend you get to some brushwork over the render, smudging, and add more flow with c4ds.

Rate my banner, guize! D:

sq5lpf.png

Don't ask me why I used this font in this post. I just felt like it~

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
    Years
  • @ Kayashi: Boy, have you improved. I think some parts of the banner are a little busy, but besides that, I like it a lot. I can say all kinds of c4ds and brushes and the image is very good quality. I am majorly impressed by that banner, Azonic xD Good job. My favorite parts would be the bright c4ds and the effects on the bottom of the stock.

Here is my horrible attempt at an icon featuring Nia.
    112h447.png

Sadly, rendered by yours truly. :/

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Nytoki:
    Pretty nice icon! Love the colours and how the are soft yet bright if that made sense..
    The rendering actually was not bad, just little bits and pieces near her hair need a bit more chopping but it looks good otherwise! When I first saw this icon, the composition threw me. By placing her like that, a fraction of the front of her fringe is cut off and created an awkward balance. I think move it over so you can see all her fringe so it doesn't look cut off..
    Cool lighting too!

Can I get another rate on this one, I didn't get much last time..

Asmo-deus

Psychomancy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    noxious.: I like this one, especially the background as it gives out some message about humanity and whatnot or something like that.

The colours give out some effects, the smudge on the guy gives it a blurry effect (which is good), and the text compliments the art. I really like this tag.

--

I think I can post URLs now, so banner rate please?

jester.png

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
  • Asmo: Vector.
    I'm not a big fan of vector, and don't know much about it. So this rating might be bad.

Nevertheless, I don't like the colors you chose, specifically the green, and the scan lines are boring. Basically, this whole thing lacks an oomph. The tiny box Images pull away my focus, and make it hard for me to centralize my focus.
    It's okay.
    I don't really know what to say.

.noxious:
    I like it. I don't like the colors of the background that much, they don't help demonstrate the mood of the signature. The text is also, meh. It's not bad, but could have been so much better. Or without it. And, the little box of white is bad, like other people have said.
    I do like the lighting, and the position of the stock, and use of it. THe feel of it is powerful, I just think you need to change the colors and text. :]

and now rate my newest.
    Untitled-3-1.jpg

Gunners

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    Like the sig but the render looks a bit choppy around HIS right arm and the text being like that draws away focus from your focal. Light source is good placed and good flow

2n877r4.jpg

Meh hate it

NerdSparks

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2016
    Text stands out a little too much (the clear red doesn't flow). The (insert effect you used here) is a little too pixely and bright. Tone it down a little bit and keep parts close to Mario the same. I like it though I'd give it a 8/10. BTW the border somewhere diminishes the "free" flow it had going on around it.

Can the next person please rate my current signature?

Gunners

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    Uh there was no c4d there that wholel depth was from smudging. Basically the whol sig was smuge with about 2 c4ds

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • @Angela - |: The stock's colors are green, so why did you make the background blue? Just doesn't make any sense. The background is painfully bland and it takes a lot more than some starry brushes to make a good one. The random white lines try to pull the flow in 3 different directions when it should be one. The black fuzz behind Link is really random and doesn't do much. The text is pretty icky as with the borders. It's also incredibly dark. Definitely needs a lot of improvement.

@Kayashi - I really like this tag, although the pink blobs are kind of taking away from the focal. A hotter pink would be better. The depth in this is great; you blurred and sharpened in all the right places. It could use a more definite light source however. It's also a little too tall for my liking. Could also use some different colored renders to add some spark and pop to the colors. Overall I really like this though.

@Nytkoi - The coloring on the icon is really nice but the cutout is kinda crappy. When cutting out stocks for icons, it generally does the icon some justice to have a background. I usually use premade bases or my little paper texture that I have.

@noxious. - I can practically see myself on the computer looking at that guys head. It's so shiny. The lightsource is extremely bright and very large. The flow is pretty nice but depth is lacking. Sure you blurred the background but it's still pretty flat. The text is meh. I'd be a lot better on the right side where the background "text" is. Also, as a general rule for text, either use all caps or all lowercase. Don't mix and match; looks bad. And that blue box is really distracting. |: You can say "it was part of the stock" all you want, you can still get rid of it.

@Asmo-deus - The vector idea isn't so bad here but just because it's a "vector" style doesn't mean you can throw brushes going every which way and call it vector. Just because it's vector it still has to follow the basics of flow, which this doesn't. Everything was going well until you added those red lines going \. Throws the whole thing off. The colors are good but the stock gets sucked in by all the shapes, some saturation/selective color would help make him pop back out and be the focal. As for the dups, they're okay, but if you're going to stack them, get the top one to line up with the top of the tag.

@EarthsVisitor - adlkjlksjdf the grainyness makes me want to stab my eyeballs. This stock is so dynamic and yet you did the bare minimum with it. This stock just cries to be a part of a render tag and you did the total opposite with it. The border also looks out of place. The little 1/2 box around the subtext throws me off too. Depth is also lacking as is a light source. I'd say scrap this one.

@Gunners - I hate it too. Guassian blur + lighten is dead. The whole thing is really washed out and can use a serious dose of coloring. The red text is the most colorful thing on there. And it looks bad. Get rid of the border too. Overall it's way too sharp. I see this style from you all the time. Change it up for once.

@lilsparks - Floating head syndromeeeeee. Shrink the stock moar prz. The stock looks pretty dirty so you did a good job of matching the background to that. It needs a light source slightly on top of the stock since you decided to fade out the light in the background a little too quickly. Same thing with the text as I said with noxious.: either go all caps or all lowercase. Mixing and matching = eww.

-----------------------------------

spiceyau1.png

Did with Loki's tut. Followed for the first few steps then gave up because it was so confusing, lols.

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
  • spiceyau1.png

Did with Loki's tut. Followed for the first few steps then gave up because it was so confusing, lols.[/font]

Let's see. I really enjoy it. The background matches and flows with the stock, pretty well. It feels like one strong, flowing peice, until you get to the source of light. The brownish light source, is the only truly bad thing about the peice. It's extremely distracting, and does not match with the rest of the piece, otherwise, it'd be an excellent tag. Just get rid of it. every peice does not NEED a light source.

And, could you explain your rating of my piece. I don't understand what you mean by "did the bare minimum" and "cries to be a part of a render tag and you did the total opposite with it."

I want to improve, but I don't get those two parts.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • Doesn't match? If you take the eye dropper and plop it on Raspberyl's face, it's a match, maybe a few shades darker since it's under a texture. No, not every piece needs a lightsource but it sure as hell helps.

"did the bare minimum" - Look at your tag. Is that all the potential it really has? I don't think so. You slapped on a few brown textures and called it done. THAT is the bare minimum.

"cries to be a part of a render tag and you did the total opposite with it." - You basically did a scrapbook style tag with this. With the colors and movement, it should be a render tag. If you need an example of render tags, look at the past 74 pages.

-------------------------------

spiceyv2yt4.png

No light. |:

EarthsVisitor

Jolly Good
    Years
  • Then it's not the light source that's throwing me off, it's the light brown color in the top left. What is that from? Cause, that's what I don't like, it's such a nice combination of blues and purples and blacks, then there is that random light brown at the top left.

And I see, my style is not render tags, I don't use C4Ds almost ever, because it's so a-typical. I like to make art, not do the same thing as everyone else, I guess my style is more scapbooky, I just felt the Prince of Persia, went with a more sandy, egyption feel.

I still don't understand the textures though. I never used any textures? The background comes from this. I like to make larger, not really artistic pieces, and use the better parts of them in my tags.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/UltimaDargon/Untitled-1-2.jpg

Thanks for your help! <3

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • What you posted is a texture. Not a nice looking one, but one regardless. And before you go off on a tangent on being different than everyone else, you should probably get a little a little more experienced. I like to make art too - I'm going to major in Graphic Design - but sometimes you have to give in to what's popular before deciding to be different.

----------------------------------

spiceyv3hh7.png

Got rid of the brown. Happy now?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back