• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

moments.

quixotic
Years
  • The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Might come back for a rate of Loki's tag later but it pretty much has it covered from my point of view...

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years

• It's pretty good. I don't really like the sharpening on the effect C4D's coming off her. They would have been better blurred. Your light source is well placed, so 'grats on that, you're one step ahead of me on that one =]
    Overall 7/10. Nice banner, good flow, could have got an 8 if it hadn't been over sharpened in the wrong places ike that =/

Hmm I guess I'll throw in some bait.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024

I'm not feeling this tag. :/

I'm not a fan of the pentooling. D: That's a big demerit for me, since pentooling is one of my favorite effects. :/ The borders seem kind of awkward and out of place as well, so that's another down side. Let's see, the white splatters seem kind of too centralized in the front, so I'd suggest evening it out by adding some behind him in the background, towards the outer edges. The coloring is weird, because he's pretty dark and contrasted, while your background and effects are really light and pastel-colored. Try to find some balance between that. Text sticks out like a sore thumb, and I think you would've done better just to make another purple blob while keeping the text yellow or green. Umm, the colors kind of don't mesh well. That purple green and yellow are kind of combine strangely, so this just isn't my kind of style. :I

---

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    I'm not feeling this tag. :/

I'm not a fan of the pentooling. D: That's a big demerit for me, since pentooling is one of my favorite effects. :/ The borders seem kind of awkward and out of place as well, so that's another down side. Let's see, the white splatters seem kind of too centralized in the front, so I'd suggest evening it out by adding some behind him in the background, towards the outer edges. The coloring is weird, because he's pretty dark and contrasted, while your background and effects are really light and pastel-colored. Try to find some balance between that. Text sticks out like a sore thumb, and I think you would've done better just to make another purple blob while keeping the text yellow or green. Umm, the colors kind of don't mesh well. That purple green and yellow are kind of combine strangely, so this just isn't my kind of style. :I

---

Good flow and colour. Render stands out from the background. Good depth but a bit plainish and the circles get in the way a bit as they distract from the focal a bit.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Mod Post, go!

There has been an update in the first rule:

From now on, YOU MUST RATE A BANNER, even if someone above you hasn't posted one to be rated. You must pick another banner and rate it.

I've also added a notice. If your post does not follow the rules, I will delete it, and I will not be notifying you. It's your responsibility to know and follow the rules in the first post.

Thanks for your time.

Now whoever posts under me:

RATE GUNNER'S BANNER:

Gunners

wants Arsenal to pwm everyone!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2009
    One question.. what about rule 9 kinda contradicts the update for rule 1 a bit

EDIT don't delete it please*adds banner*
    Samus banner

EDIT 2: mean rule 8 not 9 mis-typed it :O

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • @Noxious - I'm not rating yours until you rate the ones above you.

@twenty two - The effects are WHOA random. The splatter brushes are over taking the tag and the pentooling is sub par. The colors and all the effects kind of remind me of vomit. The colors don't go with the stock at all and they're all light and airy compared to the dark, contrasty-ness of the stock. It kinda looks like someone took some paintballs, ran up to this tag, and hurled them at it. There's just so much going on and I can't focus my eyes anywhere. The color blobs set to lighten look strange because they aren't flowing off the stocks like I feel like they should. They're just sitting there hanging out and you can see where one ends and the others begin. And with all the effecst around his shoulders and neck, it turns into FHS (floating head syndrome). Not good. Maybe move the stock up a little more so his head gets cut off slightly and he doesn't look so disproportionate.

@Ting Ting - This is probably one of my favorite tags from you. Although the borders make me want to rip my hair out. XD That's just me though, I hate borders. :x Loving the background and depth you have, although it's a little too red for me. Since you have that nice green on the stock, you should try putting that in some subtle places to give it a little more enhanced coloring. Despite what Gunners said, the circles around the stock help define the focal, not take away from it. Those lines set to overlay on the left, I think they should be tilted more diagonally so that they blend a little better. ♥

@Gunners - IT'S NOT A RENDER IT'S A STOCK. As for the tag... the text has gotta gooo. Sticks out too much. Depth is pretty good and the flow is nice. One thing that really bothers me is how sharp the effects are and how blurry Samus is... keep everything the same on the foreground, unless you're creating depth, which you aren't. So either sharpen Samus or blur the... things. Samus looks pretty monotone which I guess would be fine if you had the proper light source, which you don't. The light is pretty weak and as you can see on her suit that the light is nearly white, not pale yellow. You also have light coming from the bottom, which isn't where it's coming from on the stock. On the far right side of the tag off her arm, it goes from dark orange to instant black. Have some transition in there. And the effects off her arm have that dissolved, pixelly feel which doesn't look so great.

Edit:

Forgot about this. XD

Last edited:

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • @CME
    Nice Colours, good c4d usage, but i dont like the black brushing on the sides. Maybe sharpen the render just a little bit, lower the opacity of the dark brushing and you got yourself a nice tag.

Not much here. Very simple.

Stocks
    1 2 3 4

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • It's... different.
    I'd like to see this if it was colored and had lots of effects done to it etc etc.
    But otherwise it's good. Very simple, but still good.

(I'll add something here in a second)

Edit: Here we go.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • @Vivaa - There is no black brushing. There are no brushes in that tag at all.

As for yours, yay! You can put images on multiply! Honestly, a 6 year old can do that. There's nothing else to this tag. Oh yeah, that one tiny little arrow. Awesome. You could've at least added some color so it wasn't so painfully bland and boring. CMYK IS YOUR FRIEND. There's honestly nothing more I can say because it's preeeetty bad.

@twenty - two - The flow is borked by that render going to the right when Roxas is flowing to the left. Flip it. The background pretty much just cuts off after the renders. You should try smudging and setting it to a different setting/lower opacity to get more depth and a better background. That one bit of render that goes straight up and down on the left really bothers me also. The "KINGDOM HEARTS" text isn't bad but all the conversation text throws me off. It's not bad, just needs some stuff removed.

RATE T W E N T Y - T W O'S BANNER

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024

@t w e n t y - t w o .

This isn't going to be much of a rating as I only strolled in here and saw something that abosultely needed to be pointed out.

Hahaha, Kingdom of Farts? Might want to re-think the positioning of the text, I know I'm not the only one that will notice this.

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years

• @t w e n t y - t w o .

This isn't going to be much of a rating as I only strolled in here and saw something that abosultely needed to be pointed out.

Hahaha, Kingdom of Farts? Might want to re-think the positioning of the text, I know I'm not the only one that will notice this.

Gosh darnit. It's been spotted =/
    I might just keep it for the lol's.
    (Yes I had noticed this a while ago xD)

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • @twenty-two
    I agree with Josephine on the text thing. XD; kind of takes away from the banner. I like the lighting at the bottom, but the corners are a bit dark and the green "line" really sticks out a little much to be in such a dark place. Sorry, I'm horrible at rating. XD;

Here: First attempt :/

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
  • Hmm... i like it, seems a little bright imo. Your... circles are okay, though a tad repetitive, not sure what to do there, I don't know a lot about Vector styles so...

Rate this or die:

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • @Unforgettable - Awesome, a carbon copy of Closer's tutorial. Tutorials are guidelines... you aren't supposed to follow them to the T. |: The background takes away from the focal of the stock so blur the background a bit. The circles should be brought closer to the stock's face so it draws the eyes there. The colors are nice but they're the same throughout; gradient maps ftw.

@RyuKun - The stock blends in a little too much for my taste. Lelouch's face is way oversharpened compared to the rest of him. If you're trying to create depth, blur his cape, lower torso, etc. Overkill on sharpen = naughty. Some foreground effects would also help with the depth. Since you're trying to go for a "puppeteer" effects (I think), you should have those light lines kind of wrap around his fingers or something. The colors are the same as the stock's so use some gradient maps to get some different colors in there. Some foreground effects would also help with the depth. You definitely have the right idea with the lightsource, but try darkening the left a bit more and lightening the right. Also... text is ghastly. Scrap prz.

moar. >:

Last edited:

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • @ Unforgettable
    The white cuttish stuff is a bit to wide, and not really in the same directions as the render.
    Otherwise it's pretty good. Maybe the polka's could have been bigger.
    And the white circle texture things smaller.
    Otherwise it's not too bad.
    A bit plain imo. But atht's just me

@ RyuKun
    As CME said, the render is blending too much, in unnescicary places. [The Hands]
    The face is again, over sharpened and bright just like your last banner with Lelouch =/
    The text is a bit big, and the background is messy.
    Eww 1px borders are yuck =/
    The Pentooling looks kinda bad, as two of them are just going to nowhere.
    [Should have focused them around the arm more]

@ CME
    I'm liking this alot. The one thing I will say, is that the sudden black on the left side of the hair is annoying me. It would probably looked better had it faded a bit more. The C4D's are well placed. But the text is a bit too blended, maybe moving the mask a bit more would help.
    I dunno though. It's a good banner over all.

RATE CME's BANNER

Last edited:

the bitter end.

.only slightly insane
    Years
  • @CME
    Hmm... a little too busy around the render if you know that I mean. Excellent flow though, colors are meh, hair is a little cut off. It's okay imo. 6/10

Rate:

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • @CME-I like it a lot. It's simple yet not. What I don't like is the text. I can't read it. I love the sudden black, cause the light isn't there. It's my favorite part of the banner. Over all, good job :3

@RyuKun-The text, Get rid of it. It's ugly and takes away from the banner. I like how his arm was done, but the empty space is getting to me. Maybe some smudging or more blending... I don't know. I just don't know what you were going for. Sorry.

K, so I tried to take CME's advice on this one. Hope it's better:

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • RyuKun: I agree with Unforgettable on this one. The GFX gods know I'm no text expert, but yours just isn't working. Either do something completely different with it or leave it out. Also, your banner looks really unbalanced. The right side has some really nice effects, but the left side looks like it was extended that long just so you'd have enough room for text. I honestly don't know what you could do with that extra space other than shorting the length of your canvas so it just isn't there. 6/10

Unforgettable: This does look better than the first attempt and I can see you took some of CME advice. I think the circle texture could be a little closer to the focal, but that may just be me. I don't know if the render came like that or if those are your own effects, but the girl herself looks really bright. It's really hard for me to explain but she just... looks as if she has no volume, ya know? probably not xD. That's all I really have to say. I haven't rating anything in a long time so I apologize if this wasn't to your liking. 7/10 (7.5/10 if the render thing isn't your fault)

-----

Dukey

oh.my.gaskarth.
    Years
  • @ Gummy
    I liked this when I saw it.
    Although I will point out some problems I saw with it.
    Okay lose the glassy effect, it's uneeded and doesn't stand out enough, so therefor it looks tacky.
    There isn't really enough depth in it. Definately blur the BG more, especially around the Shield in the BG.
    Hmm. The Shield doesn't go with the flow much. And hasn't got enough depth. It's drawing attention away from the focal. I'd say keep the length, but maybe crop it down on the height a tad. A few (more?) Gradient Maps might help it a bit too.

RATE GUMMY'S BANNER

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back