• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Was it as good as when you were a kid?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
What do you guys think? Has this brand new play-through been as good as when you were a kid, or maybe even better because you know more? Or do you feel it lacked something? Did it satisfy your nostalgia or can only Crystal do that? Share your thoughts! :)

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
For me it ages well. Plus playing it in an emulator in my phone really kills my boredom and it's still one of my go to games when I'm not doing anything.

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
It certainly doesn't FEEL the same as it did when I was a kid, but it comes close. It's still incredibly enjoyable, and aged well in my opinion. Very high replay value.

littlebeeb

小さなもの
Years
I've played this game so many times that I've memorized trivial things. ^-^;

The first play through as a kid I will NEVER forget. It definitely ages well and replay value is high. While I would prefer Crystal over Gold or Silver, Gen II as a whole left a huge impression on me.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 13, 2018
Yeah, there is no doubt that playing this game for the first time in years makes me feel 13 again.

I would still love to have Crystal back too, however, even though I was upset by the loss of Mareep and Girafarig.

Years
I feel like it was certainly more memorable, but I'm not sure if that would be saying a whole lot given I didn't have many opportunities playing Gen II as a kid. :c

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Tbvh no.
Especially the lack of moves, and the speed progress is very slow.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Honestly, no, but I still love it, and the nostalgia is great. It's not a brand-new world to explore the way it was back and 2000, and I'm a whole lot better at Pokemon than I was back then. But Gold is still my favorite video game, and it's been a blast to explore it again and approach the game from a somewhat more completionist and competitive light from the get-go.

I'm playing slowly. I'm actually only two badges in, at about 11 hours of play time. I play it to help me fall asleep at night (there's nothing like a classic game that I love and know cold), and I've been wasting a lot of time as a result, but I'm having a great time catching everything and training up lots of different Pokemon, including my favorites and ones I didn't use as a kid. Relatively, it's aged well for me, better than most games, and I still feel all warm and fuzzy inside every time I turn it on. (By contrast, I'm really beginning to hate Sun after trying to get through the opening sequence twice per week to collect event Pikachu. So glad that's almost finally over, but it's a shame that I'm starting to feel that way.)

If I were to play Gold for the first time today, I don't think it would be my favorite game (I'm not sure what would be). It's a lot of fun, but a big part of why I love it is the memories I have from playing it 17 years ago. I don't get invested in games the way I used to anymore, and thus, the games I play don't seem as significant now as they did a couple decades ago. But as a nostalgia trip, Gold totally hits the spot.

Crystal would be fun to play at some point, but when it comes down to it, Gold is the truly nostalgic game for me. So for the time being, I'm really not bothered by the lack of Crystal (though I do hope it eventually releases, and I'll definitely pick it up if and when it does). And while Gold isn't as good as it was in 2000 (I don't think any game can be for me at this point), it's a lot of fun, and I think it's as close as I'm likely to come to recreating the joys of my childhood gaming experience.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Personally I got moments where it hit me like, WOAH, JOHTOOOO! It isn't really fully there entirely but still definitely worth playing. These games were my childhood and playing again in a way where I can fully experience 'em is really wonderful. :)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
It's much better than when I was a little kid. My only way to play it back then was through an emulator, and using the speed button through everything kills a bit of the experience.

Years
I actually never played Crystal as a kid. I only had Gold and Silver. I just played Crystal for the first time when I was like 21 or 22. Now THAT felt just how it did when I was a kid because it was a new experience for me.
As for now, no. It's not nearly the same. I replay Crystal all the time, so of course it's not going to hold up. That being said, I replay it all the time because it's my absolute favorite Pok?mon game of all time. So yes, it's still good, but not as good.

Back