• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Level Grind

Years
    • Seen today
    Not really. The only time I did any grinding was for the elite four, and that was for a certain move. I didn't even need to grind for red..the game isn't very hard.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • That's one of the big issues with the game, especially if you're kind of plunging through it. I tend to not have any trouble staying on top of things, even with a full team early on, since I do a lot of back tracking. I like to do as much as I can in the game, so I end up going back for Bug Catching Contests, hunting down Pokemon for the Pokedex, and training other Pokemon that aren't on my permanent team. Also registering some later game trainers for rematches will help.

But yeah. The level curve in GSC is really bad. ;(

Years
  • Yeah... the route leading to the EIGHTH gym has trainers with Pokemon under level thirty, while Clair has a level 38 Kingdra, if I remember correctly. And there's barely any content between her and the Elite 4 and Lance peaks at 50.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It IS awful. You're basically forced to beat every single trainer otherwise you really don't have much chance to get far. :/ Good thing we face a lot of Team Rocket guys!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I used to think level-grinding in GSC was terrible, but this time I battled every wild Pokémon I encountered, didn't avoid any trainers, and did some pre-E4 Shiny-hunting and ended up having almost a full team of lv50+ Pokémon by the time I got to Indigo Plateau. I had a few lv70s by the time I got to Red (without repeating the E4) and beat him on my first try.

Last edited:

AussieJimmy

Jimmy
    Years
  • I never really had troubles either, for a long time now my OCD rule was to level my pokemon 5 levels before the next gym, it's a fair bit of grinding but I don't mind, I hate losing battles so I try to stay on top of things. It's also a good habit for the nuzlocke challenge.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Always underleveled by the time I reach Blackthorn City! Same thing in HGSS as well. Never found a good place to grind in either of them, lol.

Last edited:
    Years
  • When I play a Pok?mon game, I'm usually soloing the game with one Pok?mon so I never really have to worry about grinding levels. I just beat most of the trainers (not the swimmers, I HATE swimmers D: ) and by the time I get to the Elite Four, whatever Pok?mon I'm using, usually Feraligatr, is level 60 and when I beat the Elite Four, he's level 64.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I had trouble with it when I first played Gold, and had to go back and level up a bit more before the Elite Four. I hadn't had any difficulty with battles prior to that point, but the level spike surprised me.

Now, though, I tend to procrastinate more while I'm playing, so I tend to be over-leveled for everything I do (and if I'm not over-leveled, I tend to have a balanced enough team to do well even with a level disadvantage).

Back