• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Dubs in other languages

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • There are a lot of anime dubs in other languages besides English. What are some non english anime dubs you've watched? I'm thinking of trying some spanish or german anime dubs on netflix, there's some there.

Years
  • There's technically no difference for me watching any non-English dub to the original Japanese and yet I can't see myself watching any for some reason.

Years
  • I remember watching Polish dubs of anime series such as Pokémon and Bakugan when I was younger. We had Polish television at home, but I also visited my family in Poland often too.

Since I live in Norway, I watched anime shows such as Pokémon and Dinosaur King dubbed in Norwegian on the TV.

Years
  • I have very limited exposure to any non-English or non-Japanese dubs so I've never bothered to try any.

I want to experience some series with notoriously bad dub quality in some languages at some point but I don't think I'd appreciate just how bad they are without understanding the languages.

Years
  • There's sometimes this charm to things that are so bad they loop back around to being hilarious. I've enjoyed some of the snippets of the worst dubs I've been introduced to at anime cons in the past.

I don't really get it, but I'm glad something good has come out of them lol

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I've watched the Pokemon anime in Chinese but outside of that, haven't had much experience in hearing anime in languages outside Japanese or English. In our case it was our family is Chinese so we have a lot of the Pokemon anime and movies in Chinese. I also watched Spirited Away in Chinese, I believe! I can't really remember well how it sounded but it wasn't too bad. It's more jarring when it's Chinese over a Western movie than an animated series.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I hear Ghost Stories is hilarious but idk if I could handle it lol

Oh my god Ghost Stories, I've watched a bit before with friends - it was good in that it was fairly entertaining (??) But also so painful to watch HAHAH

Years
  • Ghost Stories isn't what I had in mind when I say bad dub. Given they basically only had to keep the name of the monster and the method to lock it up intact but were given free reign to make it into something that sold well, they did great with their ad-libbing. Many of the jokes did not age well (we are 20 years on from when the dub released), but the voice acting is actually extremely strong there.

I'm thinking more like the Garzeys Wing dub. And other shows mostly from the '80s with '80s or '90s dubs.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • So, anyway, I found a Spanish dub of some anime called Wild 7, and it's pretty decent. Although, I'm pretty easy to please, so, there's that. Wild 7 is some anime from the 90s, by the way.

Back