• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Pokemon Analysis Series

punishedfelix

Banned
Years
    • they
    • now
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    Hi there everyone,

I'm a writer and I write a blog. I focus on disability, technology and interface design as subjects with a post structural twist. I have always been a huge fan of Pokemon, and I think it has a lot of underappreciated nuance and I already have a lot that I've written thus far and I'd love to reach a wider audience, and also help engage Pokemon fans with this kind of analysis. All of my analysis with Pokemon emphasize the interaction the player has with the game, through UI, lore, marketing and the community itself. I completed two pieces thus far but I was thinking that I would like to publish the future ones on Pokecommunity as well*.

A lot of my focus is not just lore related but intersecting the lore with the fandom across time. For example, Game Freak has never officially recognized Missingno as a Pokemon despite the propagation of fan characters like Phancero.

If approved, I will start with the first piece in the proposal list. It might require a week or two for me to get footage of the game as well as assemble the piece - it takes me about 3-5 days to write a full piece. I'll also make sure I improve image citations which I noticed that I didn't include on my blog (rip)

* I know that you said a proposal first, but this proposal also includes the first two pieces to show what angle I want to take this. If you don't want to publish those two that's fine.

NOTE: The following contains spoilers...

Here is my current idea list:
    • Pokemon League Technocapitalism - Gen 1 wasn't just a set of games - it was a mass marketed universal experience. These games demonstrate some of the darkest themes in the series, accelerating the hysteria surrounding "PokeMania". In the games themselves, Kanto is reduced into a Pokemon Champion Production Machine. The all powerful Pokemon League Industrial Complex and Team Rocket are dominant players in the Kanto socioeconomic ecosystem, with their war games leading to the eventual exploitation of Dr. Fuji's desperation in the creation of the ultimate war machine - Mewtwo - all of which is toppled by none other than the player, the ultimate concentrated form of pure Pokemon League Power, by mastering the regime of signs known as the Pokemon Master. Possibly exploring as well the contrast between the design of the developers and the mass marketing of the initial series in the west. A companion piece to "Secret of the Unown".
    • The Face of Arceus - This piece is probably my most vague piece and I need to play Pokemon Platinum before fleshing out the details, but in this piece, I explore a theory where the Unown and Arceus are deeply intertwined; contrasting the lore between Gen 2 (distributed) and Gen 4 (hierarchical), and how the Unown again seem to become the one thing that unites everything together. The word is God, and God is the word - the Unown create the Face of Arceus as a part of its symbolic movements.
    • Disability and PMD:Explorers - In this beautiful game, the main character suffers a major brain injury along with a complete transformation of their body, making them amnesiac and suffering unusual spells. However, through the game, we discover that through the intricate nature of the plot, it is determined not only that this character would be uniquely disabled, but in a way that forces them through raw experiences that the world they've been thrown into is about to collapse and they're the only ones who can truly save it. This piece aims to set a new standard for disability media analysis by exploring the unique revolutionary theoretical potential offered by the perspective of being disabled without tokenization. While not part of the analysis, it's heavily influenced with my own experiences with head injury.

Here are subjects I'd like to write about as well but aren't really part of this analysis series.

Here are the current completed pieces (these are all my work):
    • The Creatures in the Cracks - An exploration of the history of glitch hunting in the Pokemon community, and how it interacted with Pokemania and the fandom to eventually allow Missingno to consume the game itself through Arbitrary Code Execution.
    • Secret of the Unown - Untangling the mystery of the Unown, how they relate to the story of Suicune and Ho-oh, and the symbolic exchange of Japanese cultural change represented in the interactions between Johto and Kanto, and how the region is transformed by mass media propagated by radio. This also has a video release if you would prefer that to review (its the same text).

I just ask that I'm able to continue posting these pieces on my blog as well as the companion videos. I really hope you enjoy this set of proposals.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Hi there everyone,
    Hi!

I took a quick look at your linked examples (will do a more in-depth read later). They look good! Happy to have you write for Daily on these topics.

If approved, I will start with the first piece in the proposal list. It might require a week or two for me to get footage of the game as well as assemble the piece - it takes me about 3-5 days to write a full piece. I'll also make sure I improve image citations which I noticed that I didn't include on my blog (rip)
    That timeline is fine, and if it takes longer no worries there either!
    * I know that you said a proposal first, but this proposal also includes the first two pieces to show what angle I want to take this. If you don't want to publish those two that's fine.
    I'm also happy to have the existing articles you put on your blog published; would like to read through them first is all, and then there's the matter of making sure you're satisfied with how they look on the Daily site before publishing too. (This will also require my setting you up with an account on the Daily/Wordpress site for this.)

I'll comment on the first idea for now, as you mention you want to start with that:
    Pokemon League Technocapitalism - Gen 1 wasn't just a set of games - it was a mass marketed universal experience. These games demonstrate some of the darkest themes in the series, accelerating the hysteria surrounding "PokeMania". In the games themselves, Kanto is reduced into a Pokemon Champion Production Machine. The all powerful Pokemon League Industrial Complex and Team Rocket are dominant players in the Kanto socioeconomic ecosystem, with their war games leading to the eventual exploitation of Dr. Fuji's desperation in the creation of the ultimate war machine - Mewtwo - all of which is toppled by none other than the player, the ultimate concentrated form of pure Pokemon League Power, by mastering the regime of signs known as the Pokemon Master. Possibly exploring as well the contrast between the design of the developers and the mass marketing of the initial series in the west. A companion piece to "Secret of the Unown".
    Certainly true that the first games had some of the darkest themes. It's an interesting topic in itself. Would it follow the same general structure as your existing articles?

On the last point - would it include mention of how initially the West wanted to change the design of Pikachu, etc. in terms of marketing Pokemon, not just how they ended up marketing it?

You also titled this thread Pokemon Analysis Series, and we can set up article series - but what title would you want for it, if so? We have had other articles in the past analysing various aspects of Pokemon, so the current title miht be a bit broad.

I completed two pieces thus far but I was thinking that I would like to publish the future ones on Pokecommunity as well*.
    (...)
    I just ask that I'm able to continue posting these pieces on my blog as well as the companion videos. I really hope you enjoy this set of proposals.
    This is fine. The only request I would make is that any article that appears on PC Daily on your blog has a link to the PC article - and of course, we can link to your blog on PC Daily's side as well.

punishedfelix

Banned
    Years
    • they
    • now
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    I'm also happy to have the existing articles you put on your blog published; would like to read through them first is all, and then there's the matter of making sure you're satisfied with how they look on the Daily site before publishing too. (This will also require my setting you up with an account on the Daily/Wordpress site for this.)

No worries. It occurred to me after posting that my posts are kind of long and can be also split up into parts if that works better for the WordPress format. My site is just a static generated markdown site so after adding attributions for the images (most are from Bulbapedia but I gotta look into a few of them) the transfer shouldn't be too difficult, although I haven't worked with WP directly.

Certainly true that the first games had some of the darkest themes. It's an interesting topic in itself. Would it follow the same general structure as your existing articles?

On the last point - would it include mention of how initially the West wanted to change the design of Pikachu, etc. in terms of marketing Pokemon, not just how they ended up marketing it?

You also titled this thread Pokemon Analysis Series, and we can set up article series - but what title would you want for it, if so? We have had other articles in the past analysing various aspects of Pokemon, so the current title miht be a bit broad.
    Yes, its part of the series. Actually I wanted to write this subject after seeing it come out in the Pokemon Crystal/Unown analysis. So its kind of a sequel to that. By the way if I miss any accidental swears in the article I can censor those for publication here. The articles are like 30 minute reads lol.

Marketing meddling is definitely going to be part of the discussion on this subject. A major point I want to focus on is that Pokemon's initial marketing success was about how Gen 1 was a criticism of how screwed up the Pokemon world is, but because how it was structured, it actually optimized the marketing machine. An emphasis on trading and discovery was transformed into consumption up to the point that burger king toys had to be recalled for killing a toddler. The world of Kanto is similarly optimized in Gen 1, with every city being molded strongly by the Pokemon League and attractions emphaisizing either direct participation in the Pokemon League, consumption of Pokemon, or institutions of knowledge This is evident by how GSC was proposed as a sequel to end the series, because GSC (as explained in the Unown post) is very obviously a critique of Gen1.

What is particularly interesting is about how the transition from completing the game by catching Mewtwo compares with playing with other kids on the playground (we are talking about 1998 here after all...). A big focus that connects a lot of my pieces together is how Mewtwo became a sort of economy among players of the game, and by dominating the Kanto Pokemon League Complex they actually participate in a world completely separate from it - the world of competitive battling. This was later simulated online to form different simulators, eventually landing on primarily Showdown. This also goes into how looking back many people criticize the poor programming in battles, when clearly collection and trading was a much larger emphasis on the gameplay during production - and how this world actually produced the competitive battler. I could also talk a bit about how the modern pokemon player is really alienated from this development because they are 25 years away from the initial seeds of this development.

I still need time to outline this piece and I want to finish one of my others unrelated to Pokemon to warm up, but I can edit these first two and help add the proper references in the meantime so that there can be a set up schedule. I think releasing in parts is the best idea for the length.

Is it allowed for me to post draft outlines? That way I can have some help with researching parts I'm less familiar with.

Originally I was working on a series called Guattari for Gamers (not on my site but on Youtube), because a lot of my posts are influenced by his essays on media and how people interact with it, and a lot of people struggle to understand him so I wanted to make it more accessible for gamers. The radio themes for example in GSC can be directly compared to interviews, and also writings of other people he worked with. Although, I don't like to interject my work with the writings directly because I want to write for an audience of gamers and lore fans introducing these subjects instead of inundating them with obscure philosophy... But I've found there's a lot to talk about in Pokemon and its not always just Guattari, so now I am not sure what to call it. Maybe I should just keep the name. But I've found that people really like the writing and it explores the concepts really well, and both philosophy fans and Pokemon fans have really enjoyed the two Pokemon essays.

This is fine. The only request I would make is that any article that appears on PC Daily on your blog has a link to the PC article - and of course, we can link to your blog on PC Daily's side as well.

Not a problem.

Years
  • I think I'd rather see this as individual articles more than a formal series since most of what you talk about seems to have little to do with each other. Most of what you propose cover a vast array of different topics. I'm really intrigued by pretty much everything you want to write about though so that's a +1 from me, definitely.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • No worries. It occurred to me after posting that my posts are kind of long and can be also split up into parts if that works better for the WordPress format. My site is just a static generated markdown site so after adding attributions for the images (most are from Bulbapedia but I gotta look into a few of them) the transfer shouldn't be too difficult, although I haven't worked with WP directly.
    It should be fine - just got to be careful with any weird html tags carrying over with a copy-paste approach.

Multi-page articles can be done, and if we really want to be ambitious we can also stylise longer articles to look extra fancy (including with multiple pages) - this just takes longer.
    Yes, its part of the series. Actually I wanted to write this subject after seeing it come out in the Pokemon Crystal/Unown analysis. So its kind of a sequel to that. By the way if I miss any accidental swears in the article I can censor those for publication here. The articles are like 30 minute reads lol.
    Hum, now you mention it I don't recall if we ever had swears in Daily articles! Maybe something we need to consider! (Stuff in videos is fine, if not excessive or anything).
    Marketing meddling is definitely going to be part of the discussion on this subject. A major point I want to focus on is that Pokemon's initial marketing success was about how Gen 1 was a criticism of how screwed up the Pokemon world is, but because how it was structured, it actually optimized the marketing machine. An emphasis on trading and discovery was transformed into consumption up to the point that burger king toys had to be recalled for killing a toddler. The world of Kanto is similarly optimized in Gen 1, with every city being molded strongly by the Pokemon League and attractions emphaisizing either direct participation in the Pokemon League, consumption of Pokemon, or institutions of knowledge This is evident by how GSC was proposed as a sequel to end the series, because GSC (as explained in the Unown post) is very obviously a critique of Gen1.

What is particularly interesting is about how the transition from completing the game by catching Mewtwo compares with playing with other kids on the playground (we are talking about 1998 here after all...). A big focus that connects a lot of my pieces together is how Mewtwo became a sort of economy among players of the game, and by dominating the Kanto Pokemon League Complex they actually participate in a world completely separate from it - the world of competitive battling. This was later simulated online to form different simulators, eventually landing on primarily Showdown. This also goes into how looking back many people criticize the poor programming in battles, when clearly collection and trading was a much larger emphasis on the gameplay during production - and how this world actually produced the competitive battler. I could also talk a bit about how the modern pokemon player is really alienated from this development because they are 25 years away from the initial seeds of this development.
    Sounds good to me. (I didn't know the Burger King toy bit.)

I still need time to outline this piece and I want to finish one of my others unrelated to Pokemon to warm up, but I can edit these first two and help add the proper references in the meantime so that there can be a set up schedule. I think releasing in parts is the best idea for the length.

Is it allowed for me to post draft outlines? That way I can have some help with researching parts I'm less familiar with.
    Post drafts outlines here is fine. Mind you, often drafting happens on the WP site as well, with the article just in draft mode and preview-able for proofreaders and seeing how it will look when you do hit publish. Sharing drafts here is more if you want opinions from anyone who happens to see the section, not just the Daily team.

Originally I was working on a series called Guattari for Gamers (not on my site but on Youtube), because a lot of my posts are influenced by his essays on media and how people interact with it, and a lot of people struggle to understand him so I wanted to make it more accessible for gamers. The radio themes for example in GSC can be directly compared to interviews, and also writings of other people he worked with. Although, I don't like to interject my work with the writings directly because I want to write for an audience of gamers and lore fans introducing these subjects instead of inundating them with obscure philosophy... But I've found there's a lot to talk about in Pokemon and its not always just Guattari, so now I am not sure what to call it. Maybe I should just keep the name. But I've found that people really like the writing and it explores the concepts really well, and both philosophy fans and Pokemon fans have really enjoyed the two Pokemon essays.
    That is an interesting title if we go down the article series route.

Please send me a PM of your email, and desired username (can't be changed) and nickname (can be changed later, can be same as username; if different can be the display name for any articles you author) so I can make up a Daily account for you!

punishedfelix

Banned
    Years
    • they
    • now
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    So I thought about the formatting and scheduling and I think each piece would work best as an individual part due to the length of the articles. This way each week that there are updates, we could have the three parts released to space out the content with other writers. Additionally, since I tend to write on and off, it might work well to do a release like this every few weeks as well, so a full article can be prepared into the three parts and released over time. For example, a Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule, until next month's article.

This way it would be something like,
    Mystery of the Unown: Part 1, 2 and 3 ect. all released across 1 week, and then wait 2-4 weeks until the next release.

The articles take about 30 minutes to read individually and I don't think the parts should be trimmed, but splitting is the best approach I think.

punishedfelix

Banned
    Years
    • they
    • now
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    I am editing down the Missingno article right now, besides fixing spelling mistakes I was kind of split still on how to split the article - to keep it whole or into two/three pieces?

The problem is that the way I've split the article, the first part feels a little scatterbrained because it talks about mewtwo, mew, missingno and a few other things. This is all used as lead-up to the middle of the article which focuses on glitch hunting culture in the 2000s, and the ending which talks about how glitch hunting lead to a new view on Pokemon that the creators never intended. So the first part of the article feels a little weird. If you have access to the Drafts I've already uploaded the first part.

If you think its reasonable length I am wondering then what is the submission process for the draft?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I am editing down the Missingno article right now, besides fixing spelling mistakes I was kind of split still on how to split the article - to keep it whole or into two/three pieces?

The problem is that the way I've split the article, the first part feels a little scatterbrained because it talks about mewtwo, mew, missingno and a few other things. This is all used as lead-up to the middle of the article which focuses on glitch hunting culture in the 2000s, and the ending which talks about how glitch hunting lead to a new view on Pokemon that the creators never intended. So the first part of the article feels a little weird. If you have access to the Drafts I've already uploaded the first part.

If you think its reasonable length I am wondering then what is the submission process for the draft?
    There's two solutions that come to mind. The first is to keep it as-is, even if it's a bit cliffhang-y. (I think the line you have at the end about Part 2 is a good way to round it out). Perhaps a short mention somewhere in the intro paragraphs can underline it, even if it is already in the article title.

The other is to put everything in, by having part 2 and 3 on separate pages. (You can insert a page break via the editor tools for that. We can also set up a table of contents at the top, although Wordpress automatically makes page links at the bottom of each page too.)

Both options are fine - I think it's really up to you, although if someone else has a preference, do speak up!

As for the submission process - let us know when you feel the draft is complete and ready from proofing (can poke me in here via quote notification or discord DM, or if urgent also ping @Daily Staff in say #random or #general channels on the PC Discord about it). I'll let the team know to get to proofing. We can just give you all our comments and you make the changes (and/or ask us for help with that). Or we can correct minor typos ourselves and just pass on suggestions for larger potential changes. Up to you there.

Once the article has at least 2 people having proofed it, it's good to be published, alongside a comment thread for it made on the forums + linking with the article (let's discuss that when it's time to publish), and having it shared on PC's social media pages as well via the staff teams for those.

Minor notes already:
    - Pick a cover image for the article. 'Featured Image' box on the right sidebar is for that.
    - Also add in an excerpt - sentence or two about the article. The window for that should be below the main text editor, but if not, 'screen Options' tab top right of the page to be able to make it as selectable.
    - Right sidebar also has 'article series' where you can set it up. It'll appear when published, listing all articles in the series at the top of each article. [If you go down the multiple articles route, that is.]

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    Hi there everyone,

I'm a writer and I write a blog. I focus on disability, technology and interface design as subjects with a post structural twist. I have always been a huge fan of Pokemon, and I think it has a lot of underappreciated nuance and I already have a lot that I've written thus far and I'd love to reach a wider audience, and also help engage Pokemon fans with this kind of analysis. All of my analysis with Pokemon emphasize the interaction the player has with the game, through UI, lore, marketing and the community itself. I completed two pieces thus far but I was thinking that I would like to publish the future ones on Pokecommunity as well*.

A lot of my focus is not just lore related but intersecting the lore with the fandom across time. For example, Game Freak has never officially recognized Missingno as a Pokemon despite the propagation of fan characters like Phancero.

NOTE: The following contains spoilers...

Here is my current idea list:
    • Pokemon League Technocapitalism - Gen 1 wasn't just a set of games - it was a mass marketed universal experience. These games demonstrate some of the darkest themes in the series, accelerating the hysteria surrounding "PokeMania". In the games themselves, Kanto is reduced into a Pokemon Champion Production Machine. The all powerful Pokemon League Industrial Complex and Team Rocket are dominant players in the Kanto socioeconomic ecosystem, with their war games leading to the eventual exploitation of Dr. Fuji's desperation in the creation of the ultimate war machine - Mewtwo - all of which is toppled by none other than the player, the ultimate concentrated form of pure Pokemon League Power, by mastering the regime of signs known as the Pokemon Master. Possibly exploring as well the contrast between the design of the developers and the mass marketing of the initial series in the west. A companion piece to "Secret of the Unown".
    • The Face of Arceus - This piece is probably my most vague piece and I need to play Pokemon Platinum before fleshing out the details, but in this piece, I explore a theory where the Unown and Arceus are deeply intertwined; contrasting the lore between Gen 2 (distributed) and Gen 4 (hierarchical), and how the Unown again seem to become the one thing that unites everything together. The word is God, and God is the word - the Unown create the Face of Arceus as a part of its symbolic movements.
    • Disability and PMD:Explorers - In this beautiful game, the main character suffers a major brain injury along with a complete transformation of their body, making them amnesiac and suffering unusual spells. However, through the game, we discover that through the intricate nature of the plot, it is determined not only that this character would be uniquely disabled, but in a way that forces them through raw experiences that the world they've been thrown into is about to collapse and they're the only ones who can truly save it. This piece aims to set a new standard for disability media analysis by exploring the unique revolutionary theoretical potential offered by the perspective of being disabled without tokenization. While not part of the analysis, it's heavily influenced with my own experiences with head injury.

Here are subjects I'd like to write about as well but aren't really part of this analysis series.

Here are the current completed pieces (these are all my work):
    • The Creatures in the Cracks - An exploration of the history of glitch hunting in the Pokemon community, and how it interacted with Pokemania and the fandom to eventually allow Missingno to consume the game itself through Arbitrary Code Execution.
    • Secret of the Unown - Untangling the mystery of the Unown, how they relate to the story of Suicune and Ho-oh, and the symbolic exchange of Japanese cultural change represented in the interactions between Johto and Kanto, and how the region is transformed by mass media propagated by radio. This also has a video release if you would prefer that to review (its the same text).

I think that your most promising idea here is The Face of Arceus. I would definitely love to see something written about this!

punishedfelix

Banned
    Years
    • they
    • now
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    Once the article has at least 2 people having proofed it, it's good to be published, alongside a comment thread for it made on the forums + linking with the article (let's discuss that when it's time to publish), and having it shared on PC's social media pages as well via the staff teams for those.
    Cool. I just completed the draft clean-up and I'm submitting it for review.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Rightio, here are my edits thus far, on more general things and the first two pages. If you'd like me to implement any of these, ask away.

Categories: pick one, rather than multiple. I'd say In-depth stories as it's a long article. Longform, misleadingly, isn't for that - it's for articles with custom code (e.g. examples on https://daily.pokecommunity.com/category/feature-articles/longform/ ).

Excerpt - I feel this is too long. See other articles and their excerpts for examples. Here, you could shorten by removing the second sentence with a short summary on the article (e.g. 'We take a look at it and other unique creatures created from bugs in the code.').

Throughout - should it be MissingNo. rather than Missningno? (Or even MissingNO as in the quote from Nintendo, but then they don't include the full stop either.).

Image credit: it'll be good to link to the page/s the images come from specifically (if not available, than the base page). That said, if it's something like a screenshot from the anime/games or official art (e.g. the mew picture or red typing on the PC on page 1), we don't need to credit a specific site after each case - TPC/TPCi, etc. made those images after all. At the end of the article you can instead mention images came from Bulbagarden or whatnot if desired.

Cases like the photo of Pokemon merch can use a caption under the image crediting the source. For those, you can try the following in the caption:
    Code:
    <span class="image-source"><a href="URLGOESHERE">WORDSGOESHERE<*/a><*/span>
    with replacements as indicated. It looks nicer. :> (Remove the *s)

Images are also all consistently in the middle as section deviders. That's fine, but something to consider is changing that a bit by having some be text wrapped (left or right aligned), so the structure doesn't get too repetitive.

They also seme rather small at times - such as the Mewtwo Creators one. You can make them medium or set a custom size so they are clearer, or I can fiddle with that.

All game titles, e.g. Red and Blue on page 2, should be in italics (so Red and Blue). (Style guide thing for Daily articles.)

Tags - can add 'featured', which will put the article on the top of the main PC Daily page when published.

Page 1:
    screeching a disturbing cry that terrified any curious and inexperienced trainer not prepared for the consequences.
    trainer -> Trainer in all cases, I feel. It tends to be a consistently capitalised thing for all areas of media in Pokemon.
    It did strange things to a player's game just looking at it,
    just by looking at it
    corrupting your hall of fame data into
    Similarly for Hall of Fame.
    Do you have a link to that Official Nintendo Statement? May be good to include on that part of the quote.
    and connected them to a massive machine of rumor production that connected to the entire world with minimal delay.
    'connected' twice is a bit repetitive; try changing one.
    Mewtwo is a clone of Mew, created by Dr. Fuji and his associates as part of a disturbing science experiment, ultimately designed to extract and clone Mew's unique genetics and enhance them towards creating the incredibly powerful Mewtwo, with only traces of the experiment found in a mysterious abandoned mansion on Cinnabar Island.
    I'd split this into two sentences.
    It's encountered at level 70
    It's -> It is
    These myths would be intermingled with a strange trick that unlike the rest, actually worked.
    I'd either remove the comma or add one before 'unlike'.

Page 2:
    As a result, it's appearance is usually bizarre
    it's -> its
    Many reported the familiar blocky appearance commonly known as Missingno, but some were reporting Missingno appearing as the skeletons of fossil Pokémon, or even as the sprite of the ghost of Cubone's mother.
    Worth mentioning in passing that this was, iirc, down to the player's name's 5th character?
    A few glitch Pokémon are so unpredictable that some behavior has only been seen once
    Maybe the example here may be good to have as an embeded video. (To do this, you can paste the video link, i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op0jFsZP5Q8 on a separate line in the article, and it should auto-convert. Else, try via insert media -> insert by url option.)

Been a fun read so far!

Last edited:

punishedfelix

Banned
    Years
    • they
    • now
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    We can do Missingno., I avoided it because it was kind of confusing since the name ends in a period, but then again we have Mr. Mime... haha

I've updated the formatting and the editing issues, A few things to let you know about:

Worth mentioning in passing that this was, iirc, down to the player's name's 5th character?
    This isn't true. Actually, the first character is ignored, and odd characters correlate with the species found, while the even characters correspond with the level. The actual reason is because as you may already be aware, 39 Pokemon were cut in the game. Those became every slot for Missingno. In 3 of those slots, different sprites were used for cutscenes, like the Pewter City Museum or the Marowak Ghost. So, for those rare instances, you could trigger those forms if they correlated with the same index as that sprite.

Maybe the example here may be good to have as an embeded video. (To do this, you can paste the video link, i.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op0jFsZP5Q8 on a separate line in the article, and it should auto-convert. Else, try via insert media -> insert by url option.)
    This part is very hard to fit in unfortunately because there are two nearby images that I think both are necessary for illustrating various glitches in that part of the article. Both ZZAZZ and Super Glitch are much more notorious than "4 4's true cry", but the latter is a very unusual and frankly creepy trivia fact.

Let me know if I need to do any more changes, thanks!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • We can do Missingno., I avoided it because it was kind of confusing since the name ends in a period, but then again we have Mr. Mime... haha
    Indeed. Gotta love Pokemon names sometimes.

Fair enough on the sprite selection, and that's fine with not using the images. Certainly looks nicer with the new positioning, imo.
    Page 3:
    Emulation also gave new possibilities to the way to play these games – they allowed for easy modification for games in the form of ROM hacks.
    This seemed rather wordy to me - it could be shortened.
    and because of the way that the game writes names, only Custom names will be able to see level 0 'M.
    No need to capitalise 'custom'.
    If a 0x50 byte is not quickly reached in memory, either from not being on screen or not being written previously in the space, large amount of data will be copied, overflowing the buffer and corrupting other data.
    a large amount, or large amounts

My favourite ACE thing, btw: https://daily.pokecommunity.com/2016/03/14/happy-pi-day/

Page 4:
    A notorious example of another bird-like Missingno. is the fake Pokémon "Phancero" found in Pokémon Prism.
    Game title here should also be in italics, and may be neat to link to its game thread as well.
    Mewtwo derives its power through the narrative – we are told that Mewtwo is powerful, and it is powerful because it is purposely made with powerful stats, moves and abilities. Mewtwo, being encapsulated by this narrative, is only capable of doing what the narrative states it will do, and fan interpretations are always compared to how the canonical Mewtwo is constructed. It is always referenced or contextualized around this narrative, imprisoned by its constraints and identity.
    It might be purposeful, but I found 'power' and later 'narrative' here to be overused words. Consider swapping some out.
    It's narrative has long been dissolved into phantom nostalgia.
    It's -> it is.
    The glitches that allow Missingno. to be encountered can reproduce Mewtwos like a printer under the right conditions.
    One Mewtwo, many Mewtwo (so no 's').
    By the events of Gold and Silver,
    italics

Quite enjoyed that read! Missingno. > Mewtwo, indeed.

Years

• Hello, second Editor here! Bobandbill has covered the main points, I've gone through and tweaked a few small things (instances of things like GameShark and Game Shark inconsistencies, commas to break up text etc) but there is nothing major that I think needs re-writing, so well done!

Great piece overall, I have also added the edit credits for myself and B&B in there, but otherwise I believe this is now mostly good to go.

punishedfelix

Banned
    Years
    • they
    • now
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    And updated with bob's last review changes. Honestly cant get over how much I say "narrative" there, thanks for shaking that out of me lmao. Thank you so much for the editing support it really helps :)

Back