• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen N: Zekrom or Reshiram?

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
Years
  • N: Zekrom or Reshiram?
    N: Zekrom or Reshiram?
    During the events of Black/White, it is revealed that the protagonist and N were chosen by their respective dragons. This distribution depends on the game version. In Black, the protagonist obtains Reshiram while N obtains Zekrom whereas in White, the protagonist obtains Zekrom while N obtains Reshiram.
    Zekrom and Reshiram belong to the Tao trio along with Kyurem, symbolising the yin/yang duality respectively. Zekrom is the Pokémon of ideals and Reshiram is the Pokémon of truth.
    Knowing the plot of Black/White, which dragon do you consider to cannonically fit N more and why?

- - -​

Personally, my choice is Zekrom as N always believed in a world created after his own ideals - and it was all built upon Ghetsis' lies, the absolute opposite of truth. Reshiram, perhaps, fits N design-wise, but Zekrom, to me at least, makes much more sense even though Reshiram is shown to be his partner in most media.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Zekrom does seem to be more canon for N because, as you said, he believed in creating a world based upon his ideals regarding how Pokémon should be treated. However, in reality, it seems that Reshiram seems to be more canonically associated with N because N has a Reshiram in most other forms of Pokémon media, such as the anime, anime spinoffs, and the manga. Nonetheless, I agree with you. You're right. Zekrom does indeed make more sense. Still, when you think about it though, a person doesn't have to be all about truth and ideals. It's possible that a person can base their views on both. If your ideals aren't based on truth, then they don't make any sense and are possibly delusions or deception. Believing that a person could only represent one or the other is a very black and white way of thinking, which is probably the reason that the games have this title in the first place.

Years
  • This question is a testament to why Black and White were so well constructed, story-wise (and a nice, if cheesy little nod to the sentiment - "it's not all black and white").

You can quite simply approach it from either side. I played White (first), and so for me, Reshiram fits better with N. If we must read into it, N believes that his outlook is the tru path for the Pokémon world to take: humans and Pokémon ultimately don't belong together because humans use/abuse Pokémon for their abilities. The protagonist uses Zekrom to project the ideal world into existence; where Pokémon and humans can co-exist in harmony.

But it works if I flip it. N can use Zekrom because his belief is that, in an ideal world, Pokémon will receive the respect they deserve by living separately from humans. Whereas the protagonist will use Reshiram to represent the true world: Pokémon and humans are meant to exist alongside humans, to help one another.s

I'm not saying anything OP didn't already know, but just wanted to expand on why the story/concept is well-crafted. My choice is, N uses Reshiram, and protagonist uses Zekrom. A little-referred-to aspect of the pair is that Reshiram is part Fire type and reminiscent of primitive/traditional tools and methods, whereas Zekrom is part Electric type and represents futuristic technologies. I like the approach that N is trying to revert the world to a point where people and Pokémon remain separated, whereas the protagonist is fighting for the future, where people and Pokémon coexist.

Years
  • Zekrom fits N more to me, though I'm pretty sure he had Reshiram in my first playthrough! I've just grown to think Zekrom fits him so well, maybe partly due to Masters giving him the N+Zekrom sync pair first?

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • A little-referred-to aspect of the pair is that Reshiram is part Fire type and reminiscent of primitive/traditional tools and methods, whereas Zekrom is part Electric type and represents futuristic technologies.
    I never thought of this before! that's really clever, both of the devs and clever to notice.

also welcome, Sweet Serenity (◍•ᴗ•◍)

Back