• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Underwater

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
  • What were your thoughts on the Underwater areas in the Gen 3 games?

While I wasn't particularly keen on needing to teach Dive to a Pokémon, I still very much enjoyed being able to explore the various different underwater areas, and I also really liked the music that played when you were underwater. I'd like to see Underwater areas return in future games, possibly with a Route that is entirely underwater.

Years
  • it really is such a shame that the underwater areas are more or less exclusive to the gen 3 games. like.... i think there's one or two areas in unova where you could dive, but it's nowhere as much as you could in hoenn, which is a shame. exploring underwater should've been more of a permanent thing. it really opens up the pokemon world a lot more and gives it more of a sense of exploration, imo.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2021
    The underwater area is of my favorite inspirations, I'd like to hack the emerald to build a little secret cave for myself underwater!

Btw the islands in gen3 (red & green) and the second map in gen 2 (silver & gold) are my favorites elements as well

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I got really fired up when I came to know that there was an underwater section to be explored in Hoenn, and then there's the option to explore another part of Mauville. But I wish it didn't need another HM and wasn't limited to Hoenn and bits of Unova.
    I think it adds to the experience, but it wasn't continued.

Years
  • In short: I wish there was more of it. I love different biomes being represented in Pokemon. I wish you could find more hidden underground caverns or go even deeper down those trenches to find treasure and or weird wild Pokemon.

I got excited when they reintroduced the concept in Gen 5, and just as pumped to hear that it was optional even, so I wasn't forced to teach HMs at all to my team! Huzzah!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I remember when I was younger and played Emerald over and over again because it was the only Pokémon game I had (the two-three year wait between that and Diamond seemed eternal), I was pretty down on the underwater bits. In particular I didn't like how you could dive to other areas and then get confused about where exactly you are (Despite being pretty good at navigating IRL, I'm still haunted by how tough I found Hoenn's Victory Road too).
    When I re-played my games on and off in the middle of the decade I found it much more fun - the music is cool, its completely unique to those games and it makes a great contrast with the more land-based Sinnoh games (especially as I'm a stickler for playing my games in order - Kanto remake, Johto remake, Hoenn, then Sinnoh is the only way I do it). Using Bulbapedia walkthroughs may have had something to do with that! I also enjoy it as a short-cut for getting through large swathes of sea without endless Repel usage.
    I didn't like its return in Gen V though. Again, perhaps using the walkthroughs will change my opinion, but I wasn't a fan of the time limit - it jarred with the complete lack of stakes in Black / White's post-game.

Back