• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will there be a battle gimmick for Gen 8?

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Megas, Z-moves, I'm guessing the gimmick train isn't stopping soon considering it's popular with fans. I think these things alright but unnecessary, just new toys for the competitive scene to play with and flashy animations to entertain the younger audience. So I hope there's no gimmick but it's likely, bet GF is brainstorming/has one right now for the Switch game.

But if there is a gimmick I wonder what it'll be. My random idea would be a 7th pokemon team slot.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Really they should expand on mega evolution instead of introducing another battle gimmick, but given Game Freak's design philosophy that's not.. likely. Haha. I wonder about some variant on Z-Abilities.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Really they should expand on mega evolution instead of introducing another battle gimmick, but given Game Freak's design philosophy that's not.. likely. Haha. I wonder about some variant on Z-Abilities.

Z-abilities, like just beefed up abilities? That would make some digustingly powerful abilities even more broken

blue

gucci
    Years
  • since there's been a gimmick for the past two generations, it wouldn't surprise me if they added another element that changed the way battles work once again. even if they expand on z-moves, i'm almost certain the battle mechanics will be changed somewhat on the switch title. i just hope they don't stray too far from the familiar battle system and mechanics that have been at the core of the series for years now.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    i'm almost certain the battle mechanics will be changed somewhat on the switch title. i just hope they don't stray too far from the familiar battle system and mechanics that have been at the core of the series for years now.
    I find it unlikely that they'll make any sort of changes to the battling system and core mechanics really. Game Freak very much adheres to its formula and has no incentive to deviate from it at this time, so chances are we're just getting some new flashy battle mechanic tacked on for Gen 8.

Personally I'd rather that we don't get some new Mega Evolution/Z-Move esque thing, but chances are we will.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • There will never be more than 6 Pokemon per team.

I'm hoping for more overworld Pokemon interaction as a gimmick, you know BEING ABLE TO WALK WITH YOUR POKEMON ALL THE TIME still salty this hasn't come back since HG/SS.

But more Pokemon interactive stuff, but I highly doubt that'll ever be used as a gimmick, especially not in gen 8...

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
  • Well, gimmick is one of the selling point for a newly released game, it'll grab attention of people, so we can assume that GF is definitely thinking of something right now. Back in gen 5 there's even the triple/rotation battle gimmick, in XY we got mega evolutions and horde encounters, and in SM we got Z-Moves, SOS help as well as Alolan Pokemon, if GF can't think of something new for Gen 8, they'll likely fallback and release new Z-Moves or Mega.

Not sure what new gimmicks can GF pull off, but if it's something that can change the battle mechanics, a Pokemon with three types, or a move with three types could be game breaking, but seems impossible. Still wondering why Flying Press can be Fighting/Flying, but Muddy Water can't be Water/Ground lol

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    There will never be more than 6 Pokemon per team.

I'm hoping for more overworld Pokemon interaction as a gimmick, you know BEING ABLE TO WALK WITH YOUR POKEMON ALL THE TIME still salty this hasn't come back since HG/SS.

But more Pokemon interactive stuff, but I highly doubt that'll ever be used as a gimmick, especially not in gen 8...

Yeah I was just tossing ideas out there.

I love interacting with pokemon in the overworld as well so I hope they following pokemon again, it makes your pokemon more alive and not just a sprite/model

Back