• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Smogon was considering, and has now enacted, a complete ban of Baton Pass in OU

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    It will be interesting to see the impact this has on the metagame. Scolipede will fall to UU fairly soon, I bet. While it's still a decent mon even without Baton Pass, I simply don't think it has the offensive typing or the stats to be successful in the current metagame. Still, its Poison typing could be useful against the Tapus, especially if it has set up SD alongside some Speed Boosts. I expect Espeon and Necrozma to lose any shred of viability they have right now and to be relegated mostly to lower tier gameplay. This does actually hurt things like Espeon further down in the lower tiers too, as Espeon can no longer dry pass on a Choice set (or any set for that matter), making it much weaker to Pursuit.

Overall I think it's good for the metagame because as others have mentioned, there's really nothing skillful about using Protect and Substitute to gather Speed Boosts on Scolipede and then pass to something that easily handles whatever supposed "counter" your opponent sent out. Counterplay to this strategy sacrifices both offensive momentum in battles themselves as well as precious moveslots on several teammates that make them sufficiently weaker to nearly every other team archetype.

Back