• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • At least you use wifi most of the time to manage your bandwidth cap.. my brother on the other hand burns through 5 GB of data a month on his iPhone, and he uses wifi at home. He has a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T, though, so at least he isn't charged for caps.

Anyways, I got a new Nexus 7 today after problems with my original one.. but Best Buy wants to charge me for another protection plan. Lovely...

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    At least you use wifi most of the time to manage your bandwidth cap.. my brother on the other hand burns through 5 GB of data a month on his iPhone, and he uses wifi at home. He has a grandfathered unlimited data plan with AT&T, though, so at least he isn't charged for caps.

Anyways, I got a new Nexus 7 today after problems with my original one.. but Best Buy wants to charge me for another protection plan. Lovely...

Those bastards! Ugh, that's annoying -.- but at least you got a replacement tablet pretty quickly, yeah?

Years
  • Those bastards! Ugh, that's annoying -.- but at least you got a replacement tablet pretty quickly, yeah?
    Yeah, I managed to get it today. :D Though what worries me is that the manufactured date on this one is also June 2013, which worries me if it'll have the same hardware problem as my original one or not.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • No, I didn't. What was happening was that the device was either randomly shutting itself down or just randomly rebooting itself without me doing anything to it.

It happens with my phone as well, when I was playing some games in it. That makes me consider to buy a better phone right now.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Good luck, Zach. I hope it's a good one.

So I am on Windows 8.1 now. It's pretty good so far. B)

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    All these flashing horror stories (and having experienced one first-hand with a Galaxy S) made me stay far, far away from any unofficial firmware flashing on mobile devices.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Team Fail, I replied to you on xda. Twiggy, do you have any tips/tricks on Win 8.1 or just Windows 8? I'm enjoying but still getting used to it.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Team Fail, I replied to you on xda. Twiggy, do you have any tips/tricks on Win 8.1 or just Windows 8? I'm enjoying but still getting used to it.

Are you using a desktop, a laptop, a tablet, or some kind of hybrid device?

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Its a regular laptop, nothing special.

Hmm...

Since you're running Windows 8.1, have you set up your system to just like what you'd like?
    • Pin all the apps that you use frequently to the taskbar! That way, you won't need to get to the Start screen often, if at all, during normal use. (You can do this since Windows 7.)
    • Right-click an empty area of the taskbar and check out the new Navigation tab. It tweaks a lot of settings with regard to the behaviour of Windows itself, the desktop, the Start screen, and hot corners. Tweak the settings are you'd like - most of them are self-indicative.
    • Are you using a Synaptics trackpad? It also has settings. Synaptic trackpads have an extensive settings dialog that you can use to tweak how the trackpad works. They work incredibly well in making you get used to Windows 8.x fast. Again, most settings here are self-indicative, so go ahead and dive in. (Synaptic's own settings can be found within Mouse Properties within the desktop Control Panel. It should also have its own notification area icon.) Other trackpad manufacturers may or may not have similar settings, but from what I've seen so far, Synaptics' implementation is unparalleled in the Windows space.
    • You might want to start loving Internet Explorer 11. It really is designed to work with Windows 8.x in the best way possible. With IE11, most sites should "just work", and it actually behaves like a Gecko-based browser despite not actually being one - even the UA string indicates that it's no IE. Feel free to think of it as Firefox + multiprocess + sandboxing + IE compatibility modes built-in. It might not have too many add-ons, but even freaking Adblock Plus exists now. IE since version 9 also has facilities for blocking tracking and automated plugin loading built-in, and can and will stop incompatible plugins from running. (You'd be surprised how they keep tabs of compatibility with sites, add-ons, drivers, and the like.)
    • Windows 8.1 is barely out, and driver support is questionable at best. It's wise to check up on Windows Update often even when you don't think you need it. Same for driver manufacturer sites, too.
    • Right-click the Start button to open the Power User menu, with shortcuts to administrative tasks. It's no real Start menu, but it does cover administrative tasks and shutdown/restart. It's certainly much more convenient that trying to get any of the charms appear without a touchscreen.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Luckily, I haven't had any real issues with drivers as my laptop's manufacturer (Toshiba) has already pushed them all out last month. Everything seems to work just fine. IE 11 is good, I agree. Nice browser. I don't pin apps and I actually don't mind hitting the windows key then typing in the program name - it's the same thing I did on 7.

Thr only real issue I'm having is sometimes my connection goes limited but that just might be solved. The synaptics track pad is also very nice and I'm not experiencing any lag. The whole system feels snappy and brand new, which is very important to me because it's over a year old. So far, I have to say that I'm quite impressed and surprised by Windows 8.1.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Luckily, I haven't had any real issues with drivers as my laptop's manufacturer (Toshiba) has already pushed them all out last month. Everything seems to work just fine. IE 11 is good, I agree. Nice browser. I don't pin apps and I actually don't mind hitting the windows key then typing in the program name - it's the same thing I did on 7.

Thr only real issue I'm having is sometimes my connection goes limited but that just might be solved. The synaptics track pad is also very nice and I'm not experiencing any lag. The whole system feels snappy and brand new, which is very important to me because it's over a year old. So far, I have to say that I'm quite impressed and surprised by Windows 8.1.

I guess I'm not too lucky with a 2012 Toshiba laptop that's extremely late in the Windows 7 lifecycle - it's one of these laptops that came with Windows 7 first, then Windows 8 on retail. I flushed away my 8.1 installation since, well, I adopted it a bit too early. Guess I'm a sucker for stability.

I probably should try installing 8, and then 8.1 again, though performing a double upgrade can be a very clunky experience when you don't know what will work properly at the end. At least I do have a Surface, so I can still work with 8.1 and learn things from it.

Sometimes the connection goes to limited connectivity and it usually resolves itself a few seconds later. It's probably nothing seeing as I see it on every single device I've used, no matter the OS.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I guess I'm not too lucky with a 2012 Toshiba laptop that's extremely late in the Windows 7 lifecycle - it's one of these laptops that came with Windows 7 first, then Windows 8 on retail. I flushed away my 8.1 installation since, well, I adopted it a bit too early. Guess I'm a sucker for stability.

I probably should try installing 8, and then 8.1 again, though performing a double upgrade can be a very clunky experience when you don't know what will work properly at the end. At least I do have a Surface, so I can still work with 8.1 and learn things from it.

Sometimes the connection goes to limited connectivity and it usually resolves itself a few seconds later. It's probably nothing seeing as I see it on every single device I've used, no matter the OS.
    My device came with 7 too, so I went straight to 8.1 so I downgraded to just 8.So far not having issues. That bug was just too much for me to deal with... It was so annoying.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    My device came with 7 too, so I went straight to 8.1 so I downgraded to just 8.So far not having issues. That bug was just too much for me to deal with... It was so annoying.

Hmm... you went to 8.1 and then went back to 8.0? Also, what bug?

Anyway, I think I'll be sticking with 7 on this laptop for the foreseeable future since I'm not going to risk my system's health for now. Reinstalling apps is a hassle.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Hmm... you went to 8.1 and then went back to 8.0? Also, what bug?

Anyway, I think I'll be sticking with 7 on this laptop for the foreseeable future since I'm not going to risk my system's health for now. Reinstalling apps is a hassle.

The limited wifi connectivity was a bug that I couldn't deal with.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • One of the reasons why I wanted to wait to upgrade because well...I don't want to risk it, ya know? xD My friend had the same bug as Mac's and decided to downgrade to 7 because it was annoying him like hell.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    You know your rollout's troublesome when even an OEM's riddled-with-foistware recovery image still boots faster than the equivalent after the upgrade.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back