• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ethics and Passwords

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
  • Is it wrong for users of Netflix or any other streaming service to share their passwords? These services are intended for an individual or family to use, or if another person is watching something with another on the same screen. However, by sharing passwords, many different people can take advantage of the service without paying.

Is sharing passwords unethical? Should everyone pay for the services they are consuming? Or is sharing passwords okay because these companies haven't introduced any penalties or pursued any legal action to prevent sharing passwords (or have they?). Is there any other justification for sharing passwords?

string555

Banned
    Years
  • That's a tough one. If it were my company, I wouldn't care because I would still be raking in the money. :P

So I guess, if they are making enough money to keep going and pay their employees and still earn enough money for the higher-ups, then I really don't care. It's like the whole thing about pirating music from big name artists, they still make tons of money, so it doesn't really hurt them in the long run. Just my opinion, though.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Is it wrong for users of Netflix or any other streaming service to share their passwords? These services are intended for an individual or family to use, or if another person is watching something with another on the same screen. However, by sharing passwords, many different people can take advantage of the service without paying.

Is sharing passwords unethical? Should everyone pay for the services they are consuming? Or is sharing passwords okay because these companies haven't introduced any penalties or pursued any legal action to prevent sharing passwords (or have they?). Is there any other justification for sharing passwords?
    Many streaming services have an IP limit, you can use your account only from one IP at the time, this prevents sharing passwords.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I don't see anything wrong with it, if one pays for the subscription and gives the password to a relative or friend that shouldn't be the company's business.
    On the other hand I have to understand that for the company that means one less client, so yeah that's a very tough question.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't like that companies are trying to up their profits just by imposing limits like these, but at the same time I can understand why. I think the bigger issue overall with password sharing is trusting on who you share logins with, and not loss of profit.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I hate large companies so not only do I support it, I encourage it! Password sharing is how I started with netflix anyways.

Back