• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Questions Thread! [OLD]

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 29, 2016
any possible way to detect a fake WOTC booster box without opening?

I think all the ones I bought are legit. Just wondering if there are any obvious signs.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
I haven't purchased a pack of pokemon cards in many years and was wonder, do the full art cards have an actual texture or is it just the way the foil looks? And if it is a texture, how do they do it?

Years
I haven't purchased a pack of pokemon cards in many years and was wonder, do the full art cards have an actual texture or is it just the way the foil looks? And if it is a texture, how do they do it?

Most do, iirc. I'm not sure how they do it, though, other than as a part of their printing process.

any possible way to detect a fake WOTC booster box without opening?

I think all the ones I bought are legit. Just wondering if there are any obvious signs.

Only way I can think of off the top of my head is based on the wrapping. PokeBall print wrapping, iirc.

Did any of you guys manage to get the new Pokémon Centre Japan Exclusive Pikachu Full Arts? I managed to get a sealed box on Poke Vault. Any of you guys pick one up?

Nah. Not got the spare cash to get anything like that.

Although this is more of a topic for the DCC or its own thread rather than Quick Questions (which is here more as a help thread), haha.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2016
Nah. Not got the spare cash to get anything like that.

Although this is more of a topic for the DCC or its own thread rather than Quick Questions (which is here more as a help thread), haha.

Sorry bro, I couldn't decide which thread would be best to post it in and, well, quick questions and it was a question so I thought that'd be best. Apologies.

Years
Sorry bro, I couldn't decide which thread would be best to post it in and, well, quick questions and it was a question so I thought that'd be best. Apologies.

Nah. Quite alright. Just for reference for next time.

If it's something that you can get more than a little discussion out of, it can probably survive in its own thread.

This is pretty much just here for those who don't have the courage to open their own thread for questions they have.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
I want to play the TCGO, but am I out of luck? It says I need to download it but I don't have a Windows or iPad.

May I ask how you are posting on this forum?
The TCGO can be download on all iOS devices, windows and mac, what else is there that you could be using for this forum?
If you're posting on this forum you should have a compatible device! Unless you're using the internet through an xbox or playstation, which would be quite strange.

Edit: just checked and it isn't available for iPhone, if that's what you're using then sorry but it's not compatible yet, probably because the screen is too small.

Years
I want to play the TCGO, but am I out of luck? It says I need to download it but I don't have a Windows or iPad.

The platforms it is available for are a Windows PC (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 can all play it), Mac OS X (10.7 and newer can play it), and the iPad (iOS 7 and newer can play it). You need one of those or else you are not going to be able to play on the official TCGO client.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
Years
May I ask how you are posting on this forum?
The TCGO can be download on all iOS devices, windows and mac, what else is there that you could be using for this forum?
If you're posting on this forum you should have a compatible device! Unless you're using the internet through an xbox or playstation, which would be quite strange.

Edit: just checked and it isn't available for iPhone, if that's what you're using then sorry but it's not compatible yet, probably because the screen is too small.

I'm posting from my iPod. I guess that's not a pretty common device to post from, huh? Most people probably have a phone, but not me. Oh, I do have a windows computer but it's Windows XP.
And I have a tablet but it's a droid.

So I guess I can never get this game because no way would my parents do it on their computer

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
Can't say for certain since I was 9 when the Fossil Set released, but I'd presume the theme decks released the same day as the set, which was released on October 10, 1999.

So, I was almost 6 months old when that was releases. Wow. These are going to be the oldest cards I own.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
What's this card from?
It's substantially smaller than normal cards (as seen by the card behind it) and the card doesn't feel as thick as it normally should. It has the old school Pocket Monsters back to it.
Spoiler:

Years
What's this card from?
It's substantially smaller than normal cards (as seen by the card behind it) and the card doesn't feel as thick as it normally should. It has the old school Pocket Monsters back to it.
Spoiler:

I'm inclined to think it's a fake. That Pocket Monsters back was only ever officially used on official TCG cards.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
I'm inclined to think it's a fake. That Pocket Monsters back was only ever officially used on official TCG cards.

Now that I'm examining it, it does appear to be fake... Well it doesn't have that fancy black card in-between the layers but I don't know when they started doing that, do the oldest cards have that?
It's a very strange layout, and it's Chinese not Japanese as I originally assumed.
The best Google Translate can tell me is the text consists of:

MOVES
Headbutt
Curse
Special Poison
Power Awakening
Japan Flag
Snoring

OBTAIN PLACES
(something) / Gold City
round insect city
Dianthus?
Anger Lake / round insect city
Gold City / round insect city
Dark Caves / Grinding mill ranch

Actually, after translating this I'm thinking this might be to do with the anime, where James used cards to identify Pokemon rather than a Pokedex, as they look quite similiar...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Aug 20, 2015
ok so major newbie on the forums here

i'm looking to get into the collection side of things. With Ancient origins being the latest set released, am I best starting there?

Cheers
Fraser

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
1. Does anyone know the origin of "World Championships" cards? I have a few from grab bags. The back is drastically different from typical cards. If I'm correct, Pokémon World Championships is a real life event? I have never attended one. Mine came from some cheap third party repackaging. The borders are silver and each one is signed with a name I don't recognise. I have ones from PWC 2013 and PWC 2014. Are they valuable at all?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 22, 2017
1. Does anyone know the origin of "World Championships" cards? I have a few from grab bags. The back is drastically different from typical cards. If I'm correct, Pokémon World Championships is a real life event? I have never attended one. Mine came from some cheap third party repackaging. The borders are silver and each one is signed with a name I don't recognise. I have ones from PWC 2013 and PWC 2014. Are they valuable at all?
Pretty sure they don't have much value unless you have the whole set, but I'm curious too. I've got 2 that say 2005 on the back

Back