• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What difficulty do you play games on?

Years
  • I usually play on normal/medium difficulty. For me it's just about playing at the right level that won't make the game boring (easy), or rage inducing (hard).

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Depends how I feel. Normal for just casual play or when I really am focusing more on story and anywhere between hard - whatever the hardest difficulty in that game is for when I want replay value/a challenge

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
    Years
    • Age 26
    • she/her
    • Sinnoh
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Normal to begin with, unless the game is abysmally easy. After that I'll begin ramping it up, but I rarely go for the hardest difficulty (assuming there's more than one difficulty setting above normal); I prefer a good challenge, but once it gets annoyingly hard and I'm continuously having to retry sections or skip over certain things (I love to explore and find/complete everything) in order to beat the game, I don't find it fun anymore.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • When I first begin I play it on Normal/Medium difficulty and then after a little bit of training, I amp the difficulty up to something a little bit more challenging.
    If I get stuck on a level/stage I crank the difficulty down, play it for a little bit again and after beating it, I usually try beating it again on the hard difficulty.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Normal or the default difficulty. If it's really impossible to get through I can (hopefully) always switch to easier.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    On Tales games, I try to unlock the hardest difficulties as soon as possible. You usually unlock these by battling a lot, so sometimes I grind a lot just to get the difficulties.

Some Tales fans tell me I am insane, but honestly I just do it to have a failsafe for final bosses. Usually when a boss is too hard, it's enough to lower the difficulty to be able to beat him ^-^;;. The only time I 100%'d a Tales game in the hardest difficulty was Xillia 2, but usually I have to tone it down at least one level. I never have to tone down too much, normally I can do all boss battles in Hard or even Chaos, but in Xillia 1 I had to tune it down to normal because that final boss was really annoying.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    On my first playthrough, I generally go for the Normal setting as well - like a lot of others, I just like starting at the baseline/recommended difficulty and depending on how easy or hard it is, I may scale it up or dial it down a notch. I generally try not to do the latter unless I'm really getting my ass kicked and I'm just not having fun anymore though.

Retro Grunt

IT'S YA BOI RETRO
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2017
    Depends on the game.
    Normal usually for the first go'round. Though there are exceptions; i.e. I play Outlast on the hardest setting.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    If I'm new to the series, normal. Otherwise, I'll usually play on hard. Currently I'm trying out Persona 5 on hard because P4 was too easy on normal. If I have no choice but to grind, I'll switch back to normal. Ain't got time for that.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Depends on the games I play:

Fire Emblem games: Hard/Lunatic mode
    SMT/Persona games: Normal/Hard
    Tales games: Hard
    Danganronpa: Mean
    Fighting games: Easy - work up the difficulty
    Other: Normal/Hard

I prefer playing hard mode on games, especially RPGs because I think I learn better about the game from the difficulty. Sure Normal mode is good for first experiences, but Hard mode can teach you about the mistakes you do, annnd the challenge on fighting a really tough boss in said mode appeals to me!

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I play normal usually, but I play specific games on harder difficulties, like Dragon Age Inquisition, Dragon's Dogma and of course, Veteran Call of Duty for the trophies

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    depends, usually I start small and work my way up, sometimes I try the hardest and then have to go down

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I play on hard mode on most occasions. Only if it is a drastically different type of game will I use Normal (Or easy if it's a game out of left park for me)

Back