• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spinoff/Mobile Be honest - how's your throw?

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
I just recently started playing GO, and I'm so terrible at throwing Pokeballs 😩 I thought I'd be better at it since I played Let's Go, but doing it on a touchscreen is so different! I'm not sure how you're supposed to swipe it - with your thumb on the hand that's holding the phone, or with the index finger of your free hand - but I do the latter because it feels more natural to me.
I've tried to practice throwing a curveball a few times, but...well, I never feel like I have enough balls to spend on "practice". Haha

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It can take a while to get used to it. I use my right index finger or thumb usually while holding the phone with my left hand, but each to their own.

I do recommend curve balls in general - once you can reliably do it the increased catch rate granted from curveballs pays off, especially for e.g. Legendaries.

Rhyhorn I find harder than most, because it's so darn far back. -_-

Years
Curveballs were impossible for me for the longest time. I didn't start consistently doing them until this year, and I've been playing (on and off) since the game launched in 2016. Personally I spin counter-clockwise and throw my curveball from the right, using my right middle finger. For regular throws I use the middle finger too. Throwing/swiping with your thumb is really uncomfortable and makes me miss a lot of the time, so I'd personally not recommend that.

Took a long time to adjust to curves, but I guarantee you will also over time. It takes some longer than others.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I'm with Sheep it took me forever to get use to throwing curve balls. But I use my right index finger and hold the phone in my left hand. I also use one of those Pop Sockets on my phone as well.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
my typically throw is a curveball using my right index finger. i'm pretty good at it, usually don't miss unless the pokemon jumps or moves somewhere. i don't curveball if i'm trying to be especially careful, though. i'm sure i'm really out of practice since i haven't played in a good 6-7 months though.

Years
I've pretty much been throwing curve balls since the game came out, and it actually feels wrong if I try to throw a Poke Ball straight lol.

I don't really have a standard way of throwing them either. Generally it'll be rotating counterclockwise with my thumb, index, or middle finger if I'm throwing with my right hand, but if I'm lazy and playing one-handed, I'll throw a clockwise curveball with my left thumb. I've got pretty decent accuracy, but I always wait for the inner ring to shrink enough to give me a great or excellent throw, so I could probably be saving time if I didn't care about that as much.

Back