• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The (Un)official Pokemon GB/C Hacking Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2011
    Thanks for the answers.

I have another question:

• What's the best way to edit name/rival's name choices that appear at the beginning of the game (this applies for both colour and metal generation games)

EDIT: nevermind, I already found out

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    There is something i wanna try to put in my hack, that is, more frequent shinies, so i got a few questions that i hope someone can answer/or help me:

Anyone know, where shiny gyarados whole event is located in crystal?
    Im trying to find out how to make shiny pokemon show up more commonly in crystal, yet i only learned that for that happen the pokemon most have in IVs "EA" in every stat.(by looking at cheat codes stuff)
    Also, does anyone know where the IV generator is? or how wild battle pokemon IVs are generated? if i cut out the max number possible, shiny would be more frequent (if it is this easy).

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I support GB/C hacking :)! I tried hacking it once...and failed. I plan to try again someday, since the first and second generations were the best. Actually, my two biggest influences for this are Coolboyman and Milksy91.

As for ideas, I have one. Running shoes. Just some way to implement them. Ever since they were introduced, I felt I was going too slow when playing previous generations, and while I still play all of my old pokemon games, as well as hacks, I always wished they were there. Running Shoes > Bicycle for me.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    With assembly, however, you can redirect the image decompression routine to not require compressed images at all—this was done in Pokémon Brown.

I have a question about this.
    Assuming that I find the way to exclude the decompression routine, then I should put uncompressed images in another bank. So I'd like to know how do you tell the program which bank it has to go to find the data. In fact in GameBoy the pointers indicate only the last 4 digits of the offset.
    Example: bulbasaur front image pointer: 0x0040 [little-endian] --->0x4000; then you go to the bank 0x0D and find 0x4000(mod 0x4000), that is offset 0x34000. But how does the program get the information that the bank is 0x0D?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2012
    can anyone give me the hex code for the gym leaders in gold? because I'm doing a hack and i want to increase the level of each gym leader's pokemon to make it challenging. thanks in advance.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • can anyone give me the hex code for the gym leaders in gold? because I'm doing a hack and i want to increase the level of each gym leader's pokemon to make it challenging. thanks in advance.
    search for the names of gym leaders with hex editor (+ pokemon gold table file). the pokemon data is stored after the name of the trainer/gym leader.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2012
    thanks miksy, i'll try now, what about the offset of the tilesets? specially the tileset 28.... thanks again.

miksy91

Years
  • thanks miksy, i'll try now, what about the offset of the tilesets? specially the tileset 28.... thanks again.
    someone else might know better but I believe you just have to look for images in the rom by opening it with a tile editor like Tile Layer Pro (TLP).

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Also, does anyone know where the IV generator is? or how wild battle pokemon IVs are generated? if i cut out the max number possible, shiny would be more frequent (if it is this easy).
    That sounds hard. What I suspect would be easier (though still requiring assembly) would be to make more IV combinations result in shiny Pokémon.

The shiny Gyarados event is a script—notably command 1E0307, which forces a battle with these characteristics:
    • Cannot run
    • Opponent is shiny

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I support this. I really do. But, what are some good tools to start doing this?

EDIT: Never mind, found some. I'm going to go and learn HEX now.

dragslayar

I'm The Pizza Fairy
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2011
    I support this. I really do. But, what are some good tools to start doing this?

EDIT: Never mind, found some. I'm going to go and learn HEX now.

refering to my earlier comment.
    google "mattios blue map" and the first link should bring you to a page with loads of tools for editing everything.

if you still wanna learn the hex, see what changes happen and figure it out

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I have quit GSC hacking until there are more tools, as hexes are way too confusing (do you all expect us to just magically have a college degree), I still support this thread, I will just have to wait until there are more tools.........

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I have quit GSC hacking until there are more tools, as hexes are way too confusing (do you all expect us to just magically have a college degree), I still support this thread, I will just have to wait until there are more tools.........

Koolboyman doesn't have a degree in computer science... yet.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    hexes are way too confusing (do you all expect us to just magically have a college degree)
    Don't exaggerate—most hex hackers learn it in their early‐ to mid‐teens. It took me less than a year to go from zero hacking experience to fluency in hex and ASM, and I'm no genius.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2012
    is there any tut for inserting tilesets for gold? It will really help me on my hacking.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2010
    Is there such a thing as a completely clean rom by which im meaning Nothing on it at all besides a title screen basically + maybe 1 map to start in ?

dragslayar

I'm The Pizza Fairy
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2011
    I have quit GSC hacking until there are more tools, as hexes are way too confusing (do you all expect us to just magically have a college degree), I still support this thread, I will just have to wait until there are more tools.........

does any one listen to me?
    there are loads of tools, ive listed them many times, google "mattios blue map" and the first link will lead you to a website with loads of tools for modding Gold Silver Red and Blue. or click the link in my signature. same result

btw im currently unpacking all the sprites in silver, so once that's done i'll .zip it and release it here

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
  • This thread just broke away from hand..

2nd gen hacking is not about tools !
    AgiXP is however useful because it actually has actually an idea behind it.

But seriously, study what IIMarckus has put in his description.
    Most of the stuff in it isn't even hard to learn.

dragslayar

I'm The Pizza Fairy
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2011
    This thread just broke away from hand..

2nd gen hacking is not about tools !
    AgiXP is however useful because it actually has actually an idea behind it.

But seriously, study what IIMarckus has put in his description.
    Most of the stuff in it isn't even hard to learn.

im only using tools to learn what hexes they change so i can do it manualy

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back