• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The (Un)official Pokemon GB/C Hacking Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hohoo

SOMG!1
Years
  • I support this thread!

I've recently started to learn hex editing... Just changing some random bytes around. My only true "discovery" so far is that changing 0x466 (in Yellow) from 28 ('G') into something else like 52 ('R') disables random battles in tall grass.

Last edited:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    i have never tried hex editing
    it seems really really hard
    and hard

Hohoo

SOMG!1
    Years
  • I strongly support this thread, as hacking FireRed is SOOOOOOOOO overrated, 8-bit FTW!!!!!!
    So true, so true.

Agreed, I tried to make one, but failed every time, I'd also like to see some Crystal support in it too!
    I'm working (or at least trying to work) on a map editor. I'm going to call it Teru-Sama.

But because I don't speak Delphi, looking at GoldMap's source is useless for me. So does anyone know a document about the map format?

Dabutcha

Creator of the Alphanigma Saga
    Years
  • Advance Map needs to have support for G/S/C and R/B/Y. FR/R hacking is overrated. 4th gen hacking is REALLY overrated (and in my opinion stupid).

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • i'm curious, what makes it overrated and stupid?
    sure its the popular choice because of ease, but that doesn't make it overrated.
    also, may i point out, to hohooo that you have a support banner for a gba hack in ur sig?
    I don't know if there is a documentation, BUT vba's tools still work for GB/GBC emulation.
    lol, i was playing crystal the other day, and saw that u only get 4 colors in a palette, and a very small palette count.
    i was like
    O.o? but i guess it makes sense, the GBC probably has less memory in it than a gba XD
    I noticed that it also uses 16bits of color, so here's a question to the gbc guru's: if a color is useable on the GBA (single colors mind you) is it useable on the GBC? EG: would ff7f be an acceptable gbc color? (XD gameboy color color)
    which makes it very possible to figure out the format using memory viewer + map viewer + tileviewer combo (afaik thats all you need)
    the hard part is probably gonna be figuring out where the map data begins, and ends. If you figure out how to change tiles,
    you still have to find out how to change events and what not, which might very well be before or after the tiles. (if that doesn't make sense i'll happily blither some more in response XD)

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • So true, so true.

I'm working (or at least trying to work) on a map editor. I'm going to call it Teru-Sama.

But because I don't speak Delphi, looking at GoldMap's source is useless for me. So does anyone know a document about the map format?
    Do you mean your working on a map editor for G/S/C or only crystal ?
    If you want to do so, I'm not pushing you to quit but changing ini-files of GoldMap 1.6 would be a lot easier to make a better map editor for crystal than the one that is out now (in crystalfallows).

I've actually tried to do so myself but I had no idea where to look for "event data" and other stuff for the maps...

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
    Years
    sure its the popular choice because of ease, but that doesn't make it overrated.
    also, may i point out, to hohooo that you have a support banner for a gba hack in ur sig?
    I don't know if there is a documentation, BUT vba's tools still work for GB/GBC emulation.
    lol, i was playing crystal the other day, and saw that u only get 4 colors in a palette, and a very small palette count.
    i was like
    O.o? but i guess it makes sense, the GBC probably has less memory in it than a gba XD
    I noticed that it also uses 16bits of color, so here's a question to the gbc guru's: if a color is useable on the GBA (single colors mind you) is it useable on the GBC? EG: would ff7f be an acceptable gbc color? (XD gameboy color color)
    which makes it very possible to figure out the format using memory viewer + map viewer + tileviewer combo (afaik thats all you need)
    the hard part is probably gonna be figuring out where the map data begins, and ends. If you figure out how to change tiles,
    you still have to find out how to change events and what not, which might very well be before or after the tiles. (if that doesn't make sense i'll happily blither some more in response XD)

GBA use the same color pallets as GBC, it's just limited to 4 per pallet instead of 16. So yes FF7F would be the same in GBC and the GBA

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'm supporting this.

I just recently started hacking GBC using the following tools:

Cygnus FREE EDITION
    GoldMap
    GSC Pokemon Editor

Its going mighty fine, but I'm hacking it just for fun.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
    i was like

I just realized, that my train of thought was a bit scrambled in that post....sorry ^-^ (add kickin in there afaik)
    I hear talk about a MAP editor. Does anybody care if i pitch in here and there? I'm still primarily a GBA "hacker" (i'm border line if i may say so myself). I've considered making a third mapping program that is compatible with all the pokemon series games (4th gen excluded, for now. I do know somebody obsessed with voxels who might help me out though...) Anyways: I was mainly wanting to get a feel for loading graphics from a ROM file and whatnot.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • I'll support this thread, too!

I really have no preference over hacking GB/C games over GBA games. GBA games are definitely easier to hack because of what's given to you, but I'd much rather PLAY GB/C games for the nostalgia and the raw extent of gameplay. Hacking GB/C games gives you a sense of accomplishment in a way, as you've used your own knowledge and not someone else's.

Also, once you've actually gotten used to the whole GB/C hacking bit, sprites and graphics are a cinch to change. Few colours are too simple to edit, and that's why I'm leaning more towards GB/C hacking.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I went to the progressing hacks page, and I was dissapointed that ALL the threads were of FireRed hacks, I think that FireRed is overhacked, because about 95% of all pokemon hacks are fo FireRed, Gold needs to be hacked more often, WAAY more often, and that is why I only hack the 2nd generation.......

Dabutcha

Years
  • Currently, I'm working on a trilogy, starting with Pokemon Alpha (Gold), the only one I'm actually doing now, Pokemon Enigma (Blue), and Pokemon Black/Whitevoid (Firered, they are going to be slightly different games. The originals get 2 similar games, why not hacks?). Alpha would be WAAAAY better with decent tools. I've got up to about the 3rd gym in mapping, but very few text and trainers edited. GBA has nice tools. I think a good job for someone would be to hack GBA tools to work on GB/C.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • hm...i just thought of something ^-^
    having crummy graphics abilities means that, you don't need to bother putting things like path borders, which ultimately leaves more room for more tiles, that are nescesary. Even trade you guys think?
    Really puts people who say hacking gba is better for graphics....seem a bit silly (because they are doing un-nescesary work)
    nothing really serious posted here, just makin light conversation.
    (curious, was this too offtopic?)

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • hm...i just thought of something ^-^
    having crummy graphics abilities means that, you don't need to bother putting things like path borders, which ultimately leaves more room for more tiles, that are nescesary. Even trade you guys think?
    Really puts people who say hacking gba is better for graphics....seem a bit silly (because they are doing un-nescesary work)
    nothing really serious posted here, just makin light conversation.
    (curious, was this too offtopic?)
    1) I wouldn't say the graphics are bad; gba has bad but in ds the new graphics-style actually works :P
    2) The maps will turn out bad if borders are ignored but sometimes there just isn't enough space for more tiles, and so in a few maps, there can be border-glitches.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I went to the progressing hacks page, and I was dissapointed that ALL the threads were of FireRed hacks, I think that FireRed is overhacked, because about 95% of all pokemon hacks are fo FireRed, Gold needs to be hacked more often, WAAY more often, and that is why I only hack the 2nd generation.......

You know why they hack FireRed more? Think about it. Think hard, but don't think too hard because you'll blow your mind. :)

People simple hack FireRed because its easier to hack, and many tools support it. That's why noobies hack FR, they don't know (well, mostly) how to HEX Edit.

I support 2nd Gen hacks, the same way with other hacks: equal. If you treat 3rd Gen hacks different from other hacks, then you're just like saying that "3rd Gen hacks are overrated." while those who treat 2nd Gen hacks different says: "2nd Gen hacks are boring."

Its simple: people go with what they want. If you don't want what they want then just ignore it, don't go saying that "this is overrated, 2nd Gen hacks rules!!"

If you want to hack 2nd Gen then nobody stops you, its what you want and not theirs. Besides, its your hack. When they start whining: you start reporting. Easy as that.
    If you go and argue with them, you'll just get in trouble: a lot of trouble.
    /abitofftopic:)

Anyways, Dabutcha you should update the first post with all the supporters listed. That'll make this thread more supportive. I also whipped out a basic support bar for this:
    a5f8dy.png

Hope you like it. :)

Dabutcha

Years
  • Thanks Zeffy, I'll put this in my sig in just a second. I will paste in the supporters. And just to let you guys know, I started a team for GBC in the Team forum, if you guys wanna check.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • I believe anyone can hack FireRed. But not everyone can hack Gold. FireRed is fun to hack at first, however after awhile you get bored, like I am right now. I have a great hack, if I do say so myself, and I haven't touched it since January. I will eventually get to it, but not likely, even though I won't quit on it.

Pokemon Gold takes more dedication and more knowledge. If I knew a lot about it, I would definitely make tools for it like I used to do. Maybe even make a new hack, maybe soon. The knowledge is somewhere out there... shouldn't take long to find it either. To all those skeptical about gold hacking, I say go for it... If you don't understand something, or want to learn something, (forgive me) just ask a gold hacking expert like Coolboyman XD.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • This thread is win. I'll support this thread all the way, great hackers like Coolboyman and Mewthree9000 are unappreciated for all their work because of it being of old games, and they're have been several rants about it, that made me think "I love this guy for this point." Anyone can hack Adv. generation games because of how tools give us an easy way out. Metal and Color versions take Hex to make notable changes, and that is the true hackers greatest resource.

Anyways, put me down as a supporter, as this hacking is very unappreciated and deserves more glory!

Dabutcha

Years
  • Thanks for the support everyone. I have a Topic (Team Alpha) in the Team forum for anyone who wants to get involved with a Gold hack. We also accept new ideas and, as members come in, may divide into groups and work on multiple hacks at once. I dont hate FR/R hacking (I have a FR hack planned), but GBC is my favorite by far.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back