• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tiles

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
  • I noticed a huge style diversities in many hacks, some of them use original FRLG/RSE tiles, some use a mix of Advance Generation games, but some use assorted DPpt and HGSS style.
    Also, some people use completely custom tiles, which aren't based on any generation.
    Well, i was very curious which do you like the most.
    Personally, i like original FRLG/RSE tiles with some tile mixes and adjustments, but i really dislike DS generation games style, as i think that they're the least aesthetic.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I personally prefer the use of the default FR/LG tiles. A few slight palette and tile adjustments which work well with the rest of the tileset looks good too.

Or ..I'd just prefer custom tiles. Depends on how well you use the different tiles to fit with a suitable environment for your hack.

PKMN Trainer Alison

I'll follow you into the dark.
    Years
  • I personally love the FR tiles, but I dislike the Ruby ones. DP/HGSS tiles can be okay, but I like them with a mix of custom tiles.
    Complete custom tiles? I really only like them if they remind me of original Pokemon game tiles, if it's coloured badly and looks like a Mario game (Which I HAVE seen) Then its a no.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • So long as the assorted tiles don't clash with each other and aren't troublesome while mapping, I have little to no problems with any of them :)

I also find that the mapping style used can influence the way I feel about the tiles - e.g. I feel that the default R/S/E tileset looks far better when used in the 'natural' style of mapping whereas FR/LG doesn't comparatively. It is one thing to look at some tiles out of context and say that they are bad, but you really have to see how good they can be when used appropriately.

Years
  • I love the FireRed tiles, and some people can pull off maps absolutely stunningly in that style. Adding in some tiles from Emerald and Ruby can be great. I agree with Doctor Fuji though, different tiles suit different maps and mapping styles.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • I like the style light platinum uses, but It's too much work for me to insert them, so I map with nintendo-ish tiles.

Poster

Will pixel art for pizza
    Years
  • For my taste, I'm going:

1. FR/LG with custom FR/LG themed tiles
    2. FR/LG defaults
    3. FR/LG with a blend of R/S/E tiles
    4. R/S/E tiles
    5. Other, completely new tiles
    6. D/P/Pt/HG/SS defaults

About mapping, I can't really say anything, because imo tile choices =/= mapping. BUT, palettes do come down on a great combo with any kind of tile.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    The r/s/e houses are hideous. WIth the exception of Verdanturf Town. I prefer FR/LG styled tiles anyday. A few block edits and BAM! Great looking game!

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2016
    All gen 3 tiles are terrible. RSE were worse than frlg, but all 5 games had terrible tiles. I personally like many of wesleyfg's tiles, but more than anything kyledove's newest. Gen 4 was a step up from gen 3.

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    The thing is it really matters on the mapper, some people can make amazing maps, where as others should just stay with the origonals because they tend to make flaws and their maps aren't very complex

For the most part though I enjoy completely origonal tiles as long as they are good

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Basically, I like matching. I don't mind new tiles, as long as all the graphics that'll be on the screen at any point in time all match it. That means changing the all the sprites to the new style and possibly menus. Because nobody ever really does that, I prefer generally unchanged (or Nintendo-style) tiles and graphics. (although the majority of RSE tiles are fairly hideous o_e)

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2023
    All gen 3 tiles are terrible. RSE were worse than frlg, but all 5 games had terrible tiles. I personally like many of wesleyfg's tiles, but more than anything kyledove's newest. Gen 4 was a step up from gen 3.

The way I see it HG/SS > FR/LG > D/P/Pt = R/S/E

I don't know whu but I think Diamond & Pearl had some of the ugliest textures known to man! They're just as bad as R/S/E. HG/SS hands down had the best looking tiles, though I'm not a fan of the grass.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I like the default FR/LG tiles with the palettes edited a bit. They look pretty nice.
    Although some custom tiles in some hacks I see look appealing also.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I favor a mixture of advance generation tiles. It seems to fit well with each other.

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    I like the original FR/LG Tiles, adding some emerald tiles, they look perfectly good.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
  • I for one actually love the d/p tiles. I don't particularly care for the plat. ones though. Some of the platinum tiles were OK, but I really do like the d/p ones. And the HG/SS ones are a small step down for the most part [although, the tree is ugly IMO]. FR/LG are really good tiles, but the problem is that they just seem so...integrated, and almost bland. It's like eating a tasteless gourmet meal: It would be so much better with some spices {eg brighter palettes more dynamic shading,etc }

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Pokemon Jupiter had tiles that were edits from the Golden Sun: The Lost Age's tiles. They're 16 colours each so it's quite easy to import them in most instances, although they are much larger. So yeah, I like more custom tiles because they don't look like everything else.

Years
  • Honestly, this is how it goes for me-

HG/SS > Pt. > D/P > FR/LG > R/S/E > B/W

Black and White's tiles are terrible. That damned grass is so ugly :/

R/S/E would have been great with their palletes and FR/LG tiles, and vice versa. D/P were pretty good, but some of them were too small.

Platinum's were great, and HG/SS's were pure epicness.

Back