• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Isshu or Unova? ...or Isshunova? :)

Isshu or Unova?

• Isshunova?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd have named it something even COOLER! (Like what?? Tell us in the thread!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hilda is the champ!

Continuing on the theme of the weekly polls returning to the past...! Which name was coolest, Isshu or Unova? I know we're used to Unova now buuuuuttt which did you prefer?? To clarify: Isshu was what we were calling Unova for an awful long time back in 2010 before we heard the region would be called Unova. Isshu is its Japanese name, and is still the name for the region for many people (those in Japan!)... but for many of us Isshu was the coolest name ever and Unova didn't sit right. How do you sit on the Isshu? :)

I S S H U
RoHB7Gs.png
U N O V A

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

Isshu vs Unova?
What else would have you named Unova?
What did you think of Unova as a name?
If you were following the games in 2010: How did you react to the name going from Isshu to Unova? I know a lot of people were annoyed back in the day! What about you? :)
Anyone else sick of typing Unova right now?

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
FIGHT FIGHT

Isshu vs Unova? Erm, I really like both but I'm used to Unova now so I like that one more.

What else would have you named Unova? I wouldn't have changed the name at all; I would've called it Isshu.

What did you think of Unova as a name? I like that it contains the word "nova" to show that this region was really supposed to be a reboot.

If you were following the games in 2010: How did you react to the name going from Isshu to Unova? I know a lot of people were annoyed back in the day! What about you? :) I wasss. I really didn't like the name change because it felt redundant. It's also the only region to date with a name change like this (in the main games at least), so it always feels like the odd one out.

Anyone else sick of typing Unova right now? I'm never tired of Unova ;)

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
I actually prefer Isshu even though Unova is much more commonly used now. For a while, that's how it was referred to and it was the name we knew it by when we first discovered the region which means something by association to me.

Years
Isshu vs Unova?: I think Unova is much more fun to say, so I'm going with that.

What else would have you named Unova?: I guess Alleos, which I believe was the prototype name for the region.

What did you think of Unova as a name?: It fits the region, and spreads the word of united. Unova is literally a region where the people and Pokemon are united.

If you were following the games in 2010: How did you react to the name going from Isshu to Unova?: At first I felt it was a very drastic name change, but then again I did get used to it and now sometimes I even forget it was known as Isshu to begin with.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
I never stopped calling it Isshu actually. This is likely in part due to the fact that I had the Japanese version of White shipped to me so I could play it months before the English version was available. ^_^

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
To me the word Unova doesn't sound like a region in Pokemon. But it wasn't designed as a Japanese region.

Years
I never really got in the habit of calling it Isshu so it doesn't feel right to call the region that. Gonna have to vote Unova personally.

Back