• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen N's X-factor

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    When you think of gen 5, there's only one name, or letter that comes to mind: N. In fact... out of all the characters, he's perhaps the most mysterious, interesting and amazing all at the same time. What exactly made N so special? Why do you think N was so popular back in the day (and still likely is). Was it the fact that he only believed in the cause for the good? Or that you expected him to turn on Ghetsis and freeze HIM? What exactly... made N stand out more than any other character? Do you think the games could have been the same, or just as good without N? Share your thoughts on N's popularity.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I think it was the fact that he was the first villainous team leader that wasn't clearly "evil", which made him stand out from all the other ones. The whole storyline of Black/White was....well, not all that black and white. N definitely has good intentions, but at the same time, there's issues with Team Plasma itself. It's that ambiguity that I think people (including myself) liked so much.

Something like that.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • N stood out for me because he wasn't the typical evil team Admin or Grunt or high ranking officer. He was also kinda weird in the way he spoke, and had a mysterious aura in him that was added to by the music that played around him. I like his introduction because it added something a little bit new to the evil-organization formula that Pokemon has been using for years. I also really liked the final showdown in BW, where you two were both "chosen" by the Legendaries instead of N suddenly turning evil and capturing it himself. That was nice.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    He was a tragic antihero in some sense - as you, the player, are chosen by him and Reshiram to fight him, so too was he chosen by Ghetsis to be brainwashed and raised in such a way that would make him dedicated to the advancement of Team Plasma.
    Unlike Archie and Maxxie, because we saw so much of him, his realisation that maybe his goals aren't perfect, was a lot more believable. The way he's incredibly friendly to the player too helps you to like him, he's nicer to the player than Silver in HgSs ever is. His funny way of talking, and the fact that he releases his pokémon back into their habitats (I always assumed this, before B2W2 came out) when he's done, he's just so damn likeable!

As an aside, that final showdown is the most epic moment in pokémon, finally beating out Rayquaza's arrival in Sootopolis City for me (stupid weather and the fact that barely anyone would know kinda kept battling Red out of the running imo). It also really formed my opinions on Reshiram and Zekrom. Between Zekrom's first appearance in Dragonspiral Tower, his dramatic entrance in the Plasma Castle, and then having to face him in what you believe is the final battle (let's be honest it is the climactic battle of the story, but you then have to defeat Ghetsis straight after which is just as important), I really see Zekrom as the bad guy out of the two dragons. The colouring doesn't help, Reshiram just looks so noble coming to the rescue like that, but still. They're meant to be conflictin opinions, neither of which is right, yet Zekrom to me seems to be a bad guy despite not being allied with one.

Years
  • I honestly think a lot of it's down to his design.

The long green hair and simple look is a striking contrast to the likes of all previous leaders; his outward appearance seems to exude peace in a way that completely contrasts some of them.

I also would put it down to his age.

He's closer in age to the protagonist than Giovanni, Maxie, Archie or Cyrus and for that reason, rightly or wrongly on my part, I'm assuming that people will be more likely to listen to him as he's more on their level in a way and for that reason, the things that he says will be more likely to shock the player and hit home to them in a way that a middle-aged pirate yelling "THE SEA IS MIIIINE!" may not lol :)

(I realise that that last comment makes it look like I'm taking a shot at the Hoenn leaders haha but I'm not, Maxie's my favourite leader actually lol but I'm just using them to compare as to why N might be more popular is all) :)

LxNightWalker

Sniper of The Year
    Years
  • N

N was a king of Team Plasma. Yeah. I thought at first he was just an upper-class weirdo, but in the end he's so... cool?

By the way, what's your first impression about him?

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • He was actually one of my favorite characters in the whole series. Because there's actually a story to him :v

They give you his personality pretty well through his dialogue and actions; they give you his backstory through the events in BW+B2W2, and you see him under different circumstances at different points all throughout black and white, which makes it feel like you're both changing as your journey goes on. I hope they do more characters like N in future games.

Obviously without the total dick of a dad heheh.

ZenonPrototype

Prodigy of Ice
    Years
  • Honestly, I think the main reason for his popularity is his dedication to the lives of Pokemon. There are those who say N "endangered" a legendary Pokemon, but in reality, the Pokemon chose him. So, technically, he is the perfect anti-hero character ever portrayed in the Pokemon franchise. I mean, come on, an antagonist who doesn't abuse Pokemon? That's outrageous! Also, as you said, there is a lot of mystery surrounding the life of N. In, Black/White 2, you can see his room, and how Ghetsis becomes his father. He also mentions how he was raised by Pokemon in the wilderness. But, the biggest thing that separates him from any antagonist in the franchise is the fact that he looks like his Zoroark. There is a lot of controversy around that idea, but the fact that the creators don't come out and tell us is what makes it all fun in the end. So, when it comes to favorite antagonist, there's no competition. It is undoubtedly N.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think one of the main reasons N stood out was because he was... different. N was a different kind of character - he wasn't obviously good nor was he evil. He was marketed heavily as the star of the game from the start because he was mysterious. Nobody really knew what he was, or what he was doing in the games.

The same can be said for Lillie - she was the #1 marketing ploy for S&M and because of her being mysterious she's the most memorable.

If people knew what N was all about from the start he wouldn't have had the global love and affection.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • N had a deep backstory and not knowing his true motives made him interesting. The part where you're in his room with his toys gave some insight into this mysterious boy.

Back