• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who will be Ash's water-type in Alola?

Ash's water-type

• Mareanie/Toxapex

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Golisopod

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Araquanid

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Pyukumuku

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Bruxish

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • ...Greninja?!

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No water-type

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
Years
  • Greninja is not coming back at least for now anyways. Ash could catch Dewpider for his water type or maybe Lana might give him Popplio for his water type, but i doubt that will happen.

I definitely can't see Lana giving away Popplio since it's her only Pokemon. Also, Popplio's evolutions wouldn't suit Ash, meaning it will be stuck with not evolving much like how Dawn's Piplup didn't evolve due to forced mascot status and Masamitsu Hidaka claiming Piplup's evolutions were too ugly.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Yeah, i do not want that to happen. Ash-Greninja is a attention seeker and will steal the spotlight from his other pokemon. I prefer ash using pokemon he caught in the region.

Ash brought back his Charizard during Best Wishes season 2, and he did jack after his comeback.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Ash brought back his Charizard during Best Wishes season 2, and he did jack after his comeback.
    Actually Charizard stole the spotlight from his unova team by returning. Good thing it did not came back in Kalos though kalos was a disaster anyway.

Point is Greninja is released unlike Charizard. It is not returning.

Years
  • Actually Charizard stole the spotlight from his unova team by returning. Good thing it did not came back in Kalos though kalos was a disaster anyway.

Point is Greninja is released unlike Charizard. It is not returning.

He's right.

Bulbapedia lists Charizard as at Oak's lab, so he's still under Ash's ownership. However, Greninja is listed as released, meaning Ash let go of him permanently since that's what the Released status is to indicate - a Pokemon no longer under the trainer's ownership.

Even if Greninja were to come back, he would still steal the spotlight from Ash's Alola team.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    I definitely can't see Lana giving away Popplio since it's her only Pokemon. Also, Popplio's evolutions wouldn't suit Ash, meaning it will be stuck with not evolving much like how Dawn's Piplup didn't evolve due to forced mascot status and Masamitsu Hidaka claiming Piplup's evolutions were too ugly.

You are right. I doubt Ash will have a water type this time around, unless he capture a Pokemon that isn't a water type and can used water type moves, the only Pokemon that i can see doing that is Crabrawler.

Years
  • You are right. I doubt Ash will have a water type this time around, unless he capture a Pokemon that isn't a water type and can used water type moves, the only Pokemon that i can see doing that is Crabrawler.

There's also the fact that Lana obtained the Waterium Z and Ash didn't, which may also point to the unlikeliness of Ash catching an Alolan Water-type.

Even if Crabrawler can use moves like Crabhammer, the problem is that every Z-Crystal Ash has obtained seem to mostly match up with the typings of his own Pokemon (Electrium Z for Pikachu, Rockium Z for Rockruff, Grassium Z for Rowlet etc) and in the event where he doesn't have that same-type Z-Crystal yet, he instead uses Normalium Z. So if Ash were to get a Crabrawler, he would more likely use the Fightinium Z with it than another Z-Crystal.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Spoilered as content is from Japan only stuff.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    There's also the fact that Lana obtained the Waterium Z and Ash didn't, which may also point to the unlikeliness of Ash catching an Alolan Water-type.

Even if Crabrawler can use moves like Crabhammer, the problem is that every Z-Crystal Ash has obtained seem to mostly match up with the typings of his own Pokemon (Electrium Z for Pikachu, Rockium Z for Rockruff, Grassium Z for Rowlet etc) and in the event where he doesn't have that same-type Z-Crystal yet, he instead uses Normalium Z. So if Ash were to get a Crabrawler, he would more likely use the Fightinium Z with it than another Z-Crystal.

To be honest i doubt he will catch a water type in the Alola region. Unless he catch Dewpider which has a lot of water type moves. There is no way he will capture Wimpod because it doesn't have a lot of water type moves, Dewpider is a much better choice for Ash's Alola water type.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Agreed with the general sentiment of the thread re: Ash most likely not getting a Water-type in Alola. Only way I can see it happening is if a new Alolan form is introduced in USUM that is a Water-type and Ash catches it - but then again

Spoiler:

Years
  • To be honest i doubt he will catch a water type in the Alola region. Unless he catch Dewpider which has a lot of water type moves. There is no way he will capture Wimpod because it doesn't have a lot of water type moves, Dewpider is a much better choice for Ash's Alola water type.

I can agree, since Dewpider focuses more on its Water-type, unlike Wimpod. Personally, it's either going to be Dewpider or no Water-type capture for Ash, because I just can't see any potential Water-type Alola Forms in US/UM, plus the writers seem to be ruling out Alola Forms for Ash and instead giving them to the classmates, like how Lillie has Vulpix and Kiawe has Marowak.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019

I can agree, since Dewpider focuses more on its Water-type, unlike Wimpod. Personally, it's either going to be Dewpider or no Water-type capture for Ash, because I just can't see any potential Water-type Alola Forms in US/UM, plus the writers seem to be ruling out Alola Forms for Ash and instead giving them to the classmates, like how Lillie has Vulpix and Kiawe has Marowak.

He could capture a Dewpider for his water type, but if that doesn't happen then he won't be getting a water type this time around. The only Alola form that Ash will have is the Dusk form of Lycanroc and that's about it, i don't see him having anymore Alola forms.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Dewpider is being reserved for Lana since she owns its evolved form in the games, much like with Kiawe's Alolan Marowak.

Actually Charizard stole the spotlight from his unova team by returning. Good thing it did not came back in Kalos though kalos was a disaster anyway.

Are you one of those people who say Kalos was a disaster because of Ash's loss at the league? A large majority of people actually loved the Kalos saga.

Years
  • Dewpider is being reserved for Lana since she owns its evolved form in the games, much like with Kiawe's Alolan Marowak.

Remember that the anime doesn't always truly follow the games when it comes to characters' teams so she may possibly not even get this Pokemon. Kiawe didn't have a Turtonator in the games either.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    .Are you one of those people who say Kalos was a disaster because of Ash's loss at the league? A large majority of people actually loved the Kalos saga.
    I expected ash to lose. What made kalos terrible was serena and ash releasing goodra and greninja. I don't think the majority of people love kalos.

Anyway, ash not getting a water type maybe for the best.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
    Years
  • Personally, I'd rather see him have no Water-type for a change.

The Water-types of Alola are either taken, already seen or are just not suiting Ash IMO.
    Adding to that I generally dislike the Water-types of Gen VII.

Preferably I'd see his Lapras come back or so (but like that is going is happen...)

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Personally, I'd rather see him have no Water-type for a change.

The Water-types of Alola are either taken, already seen or are just not suiting Ash IMO.
    Adding to that I generally dislike the Water-types of Gen VII.

Preferably I'd see his Lapras come back or so (but like that is going is happen...)

Hah Lapras... odds are slim considering they had it return in Unova(and the fact Lana owns one as a Rider Pokemon). Been awhile since Squirtle made a reappearance but yeah I just don't see him getting a Water type this time around, especially considering Lana got the Water Z-Crystal.

However, who needs a Water Z-Crystal if you had Greninja back in the fold.

Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2019
    Hah Lapras... odds are slim considering they had it return in Unova(and the fact Lana owns one as a Rider Pokemon). Been awhile since Squirtle made a reappearance but yeah I just don't see him getting a Water type this time around, especially considering Lana got the Water Z-Crystal.

However, who needs a Water Z-Crystal if you had Greninja back in the fold.

Squirtle is with the Squirtle squad now, so he is not coming back. Lapras is long gone and won't be making a return appearance. I don't see Ash getting a water type this around, because non of them fit him.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I expected ash to lose. What made kalos terrible was serena and ash releasing goodra and greninja. I don't think the majority of people love kalos.

Anyway, ash not getting a water type maybe for the best.

I don't know about that. Pokemon started to gain a lot of momentum again in Kalos. Not only that, Serena was voted as the best female companion, second overall, only beaten by Brock in Japan. And I know there was a TON of support for Serena in Kalos especially at the end of the Kalos saga.

Kalos was also loved by a ton of people in America because of Serena.

Anyway, he also didn't release Goodra. It is a pokemon that can be called on, much like Charizard. And I also don't consider Greninja being released as he probably can call on him. But what does it matter anyway? It isn't like we are gonna see pokemon from the past much.

But your opinion is your own.

As for Lapras, I don't see that ever happening. Although he might mention it like his Tauros. But he didn't say anything about it in Unova, Kalos or Alola and Lapras was a main pokemon in at least 1 episode in each. Other than Alola when it is reoccurring.

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    I don't know about that. Pokemon started to gain a lot of momentum again in Kalos. Not only that, Serena was voted as the best female companion, second overall, only beaten by Brock in Japan. And I know there was a TON of support for Serena in Kalos especially at the end of the Kalos saga.

Kalos was also loved by a ton of people in America because of Serena.

Anyway, he also didn't release Goodra. It is a pokemon that can be called on, much like Charizard. And I also don't consider Greninja being released as he probably can call on him. But what does it matter anyway? It isn't like we are gonna see pokemon from the past much.

But your opinion is your own.

As for Lapras, I don't see that ever happening. Although he might mention it like his Tauros. But he didn't say anything about it in Unova, Kalos or Alola and Lapras was a main pokemon in at least 1 episode in each. Other than Alola when it is reoccurring.

Serena is a joke and worst companion. Goodra and Greninja are released.

No more water types for ash. He only fails with them.

Back