• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Club Yu-Gi-Oh!

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
  • Sure il join in, infernites are great, never had a chance to use them yet against someone with a proper deck. I have a blackwing card, gram the shining star. I don't really need it.

Great! Now we need at least one more person if we want this "tournament" to happen. I'll be sure to keep you informed.

Have you ever used YGOpro? If not, it would be a pretty good idea to practice on it until you get the hang of it. :)

And to be honest, I don't even use Gram the Shining Star in my own Blackwing deck, because Catastor is so much better LOL.

Meadow

Years
  • To be honest I had never heard of it

"YGOpro" is basically an automatic dueling system that people use to duel each other online (or an offline bot).

It's almost similar to a video game, except it's technically not one... or is it? Okay, nah it isn't a video game. xD

Meadow

Years
  • No, like from the apple App Store

Ohhhh, so you were talking about the app for mobile devices (like phones)? If you have that version, you can only play against other people who also have it on a mobile device. {D:}

Any chance you can get it on a computer? Or are you not able to? If not, it's fine, so don't worry about it.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Welcome Zehn to the club! And yeah, anybody interested in participating in a YGOpro tournament, let me know so we can organize it.

And I've revised card of the week, it's probably just gonna be every Sunday since I stopped doing it daily haha. I'll try to do newer cards, so it'll be more of a news outlet than analysis, since I'm not the most caught up on newer (or in this week's case, older) archetypes.

Meadow

Years
  • Looks like you've got the Madolche monster covered, lol.

Guess I might as well throw this one out there:

Spoiler:

I'm still shuddering at possibility of "Shaitan" being renamed to "Uno," lololol.

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'll be honest, I have no clue what Infernoid do (or Yosenju because those are like two of the newer archetypes that I know absolutely nothing on haha). I should probably study up now instead of during a duel lol.

Meadow

Years
  • I'll be honest, I have no clue what Infernoid do (or Yosenju because those are like two of the newer archetypes that I know absolutely nothing on haha). I should probably study up now instead of during a duel lol.

Exactly why your Spirit Beasts made me experience some of the biggest WTF moments in my life, haha.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    And yeah the Spirit Beasts have some crazy shenanigans, it's gonna be tough to explain at locals.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    This might be slightly off current discussion, but I've wondering about this for the last few minutes, and I thought I would ask everyone else as to what they think—would any of us like it if they were to give their anime series a relaunch, somehow?

Currently, they don't seem to be generating as much viewers as they used to, statistically, so if they were to go back into their original state, I believe it would be more advantageous for them; they would have chance to win back the fans that they might have lost throughout last ten to fifteen years.

Personally, I would love it; I was very addicted to their show when they had initially kicked off, and would kill to see all their old characters back. If they do go through with this, I feel it'd be best if they were to keep their primary characters (Yugi, Joey, Kiba, and so forth) throughout each and every season, like how it's done in Pokémon. To prevent things from getting stale, perhaps they might be able to alter their personalities and looks as time goes on?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I think that'd be pretty interesting. Iirc, Digimon is doing a relaunch of sorts with the original Digi-destined?

But yeah I've heard some people complain about the recent installments getting more and more ridiculous (I've yet to watch much past GX but still). I wouldn't mind seeing the original gang back together, and as a TCG-lover, see how they'd potentially update their decks with the new mechanics and such.

Meadow

Years
  • This might be slightly off current discussion, but I've wondering about this for the last few minutes, and I thought I would ask everyone else as to what they think—would any of us like it if they were to give their anime series a relaunch, somehow?

Just curious... by "relaunch," do you mean making a new series with the old characters or simply re-airing all of the old episodes?

Currently, they don't seem to be generating as much viewers as they used to, statistically, so if they were to go back into their original state, I believe it would be more advantageous for them; they would have chance to win back the fans that they might have lost throughout last ten to fifteen years.

Hmm... not too sure about that one. I won't argue that the show has less viewers than before, but every franchise has its group of fans that drop it after the original (or after they grow up), though the fans that are still remaining usually stick to the show, and we also get a significant number of new fans, even if there aren't as many. Making a new series with the original characters won't attract as many old fans as you think; I mean, sure, SOME will return, but others will be like "Oh, that's awesome" and then completely forget about it. I think that if they want to stay strong, they would need the ability to keep generating new fans, and bringing back the old cast wouldn't be of much help in that regard.

More importantly, in the case of Yu-Gi-Oh, card sales are just as important as viewers, if not more important. Many of the fans who truly loved the original series and played the card game for years are still playing the game today, and they are still buying new cards to remain competitive, regardless of whether or not they dropped the anime after the original. Not to mention, Konami often releases "fanservice" sets that feature stuff like new Dark Magician/Blue-Eyes support just so that their old fans would keep buying cards, which usually works in their favor. In fact, I don't think the card game ever struggled in terms of sales, as Konami really knows what they're doing when it comes to generating profit.

Personally, I would love it; I was very addicted to their show when they had initially kicked off, and would kill to see all their old characters back. If they do go through with this, I feel it'd be best if they were to keep their primary characters (Yugi, Joey, Kiba, and so forth) throughout each and every season, like how it's done in Pokémon. To prevent things from getting stale, perhaps they might be able to alter their personalities and looks as time goes on?

To be honest, I don't think it would be the best idea to keep the same characters in every single new series. As someone who has watched the entirety of DM*, GX, 5D's, and Zexal, as well as what we have so far in ARC-V, I feel that the charm of Yu-Gi-Oh is that we actually get a strong plot that resolves, where every character has their own goal and develops by the end of the series, as well as the fact that we are given a proper, touching conclusion each time. Don't get me wrong, I love the original as well, but the ending would be infinitely less meaningful if Atem came back for some random new adventure. Heck, that's pretty much the reason why Jaden/Judai had to time travel to duel him, because Atem is just... gone.

Also, the old characters ARE in fact coming back -- in the new 2016 movie (minus Atem, of course). No, it's not gonna be another Bonds Beyond Time; it actually takes place after the end of DM featuring an older Yugi, who is likely trying to grow stronger on his own now. Even though DM had no loose ends in the first place, this movie will ultimately cover everything that we would ever need to give the characters a proper sendoff.

That, and ARC-V is heavily implied to be a crossover series, but there is so far no confirmation of any of the old characters returning yet. =/

***By the way, "DM" literally refers to the "original series," in case I confused you. ^^ ...Also, sorry for the ridiculously long reply; I guess I got pretty passionate when I was typing this up, haha.

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Yugioh is a lot like Pokemon (even though I just referenced Digimon haha). You're always going to have the people who enjoy the new additions (new cards follow new shows), and people who don't. In the case of Pokemon, people are getting tired of the lack of "good design" in the Pokemon, and overall are getting tired of learning all of them. Yugioh's the same way because I've heard people complain about each new mechanic introduced (Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum). To cater to everyone Pokemon's gone back and done remakes as well as moved forward. Yugioh hasn't done much of that to be honest. While support for old archetypes is nice, the fans of the original couple installments of the anime are left hanging. The new movie totally slipped my mind, but I honestly wouldn't mind some sort of remake.

Meadow

Years
  • You're always going to have the people who enjoy the new additions (new cards follow new shows), and people who don't.

I think I tried saying that in my last post, but upon re-reading it, the wording was just AWFUL. So yeah, I apologize for that.

Yugioh is a lot like Pokemon (even though I just referenced Digimon haha). You're always going to have the people who enjoy the new additions (new cards follow new shows), and people who don't. In the case of Pokemon, people are getting tired of the lack of "good design" in the Pokemon, and overall are getting tired of learning all of them. Yugioh's the same way because I've heard people complain about each new mechanic introduced (Synchro, Xyz, Pendulum). To cater to everyone Pokemon's gone back and done remakes as well as moved forward. Yugioh hasn't done much of that to be honest. While support for old archetypes is nice, the fans of the original couple installments of the anime are left hanging.

I was actually tempted to compare it with Pokémon, but then I realized how different the fanbases are. With Pokémon (the anime, anyway -- can't speak for the games), the main "war" will always be the "originals" vs the "non-originals," where followers of the "originals" will continue to dismiss the newer series, while followers of the "non-originals" will not dismiss them. However, in the case of Yu-Gi-Oh, the whole "original vs non-original" stuff is only seen on the surface of the fanbase, not within the depths of it. When you get deeper into the fanbase, it becomes "every series for itself" territory, where you'll find people who have watched every single series but argue that their favorite is the best, by using a reasonable blend of both objective and subjective reasoning. By that point, EVERY individual series of Yu-Gi-Oh has its own die-hard fans, such as ones who love 5D's but hate Zexal, ones who love Zexal but hate 5D's, ones who love ARC-V but hate GX, and ones who like DM but think it's not quite as good as another series. So what I'm trying to say is that it isn't simply "Team Original & GX" vs "Team Everything After GX," but rather it's "Team DM" vs "Team GX" vs "Team 5D's" vs "Team Zexal" vs "Team ARC-V." I hope that clears things up.

(Of course, there are people who indeed love multiple series, but I was mainly discussing the conflict-side of things, haha.)

While support for old archetypes is nice, the fans of the original couple installments of the anime are left hanging. The new movie totally slipped my mind, but I honestly wouldn't mind some sort of remake.

Adding on to what I said above, the fans of 5D's are basically left hanging as much as the fans of DM (the original). A large portion of the 5D's fanbase despised Zexal, so I highly doubt that they were sitting happily for the last three years, especially with all the Synchro-hate that Konami was throwing around. Same goes for Zexal; there are quite a number of Zexal fans who dislike ARC-V, so they're not exactly happy right now either. In fact, Zexal fans were hit considerably harder due to the fact that Zexal ended with a cliffhanger, as well as the fact that it had the least number of episodes. Another thing I must note is that Yuma monopolized a majority of the real life Zexal cards, meaning that most of the fan-favorite characters (such as Shark) got heavily shafted in every single booster set during the Zexal era. (For the record, Yuma isn't even well-liked by most Zexal fans, so that hurts pretty hard.) As for GX, that was honestly the one series that left the LEAST hanging (unless you watched the unfinished dub, haha). GX was really careful when it came to wrapping up all of the characters, as they each got their own two-episode mini-arc in the final season where they ultimately reached all of their goals.

And if you wanted DM to get a remake/remaster, it looks like your wish came true:
    https://zakitakubu.com/2014/12/11/yu-gi-oh-duel-monsters-remastered-to-air-february-2015/

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Yeah the whole individual series fans makes sense. The DM series though is different because it started the whole thing. Sure they could poll to see which series the fans liked the most and could make a remake, but without such data, remaking like any series besides DM doesn't make too much sense and is kinda random imo.

Meadow

Years
  • Yeah the whole individual series fans makes sense. The DM series though is different because it started the whole thing. Sure they could poll to see which series the fans liked the most and could make a remake, but without such data, remaking like any series besides DM doesn't make too much sense and is kinda random imo.

Yeah, I was never against the idea of DM getting remade/remastered, as it would be impractical to do so for any other series without completely rewriting the plot.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    That's what I was thinking, except I should probably see the other series before coming to that conclusion haha.

Anyways, new topic perhaps? I just recently saw someone side an interesting card in a deck profile, and that was Magic Cylinder. That's a bit specific I guess so I guess I can broaden it (though I'd still like to hear all your thoughts on Cylinder lol): What is your opinion on alternative deck strategies and cards, i.e. burn, Reversal Quiz, Exodia? They're often looked down on as cheap, autopilot, take no skill, etc., whereas I'm sitting here thinking I could probably be winning more duels with 3 Cylinder or maybe playing something like Exodia Library.

Back