• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New Pokemon Inspirations

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Introduces several cat and dog inspired Pokemon every generation. Only just added a dolphin with Scarlet/Violet, though. Left plenty of good animals untapped, most likely. Are there any animals, mythological creatures, objects, events, or concepts you think would make good Pokemon that do not currently exist?

Likes the idea of a griffin/gryphon. Acts as a great means of flight for a region. Keeps the local [regional mammal Pokemon] population in check. Feel free to keep it pure Flying.

Adds another strange idea: a potted plant. Begins as a pot with soil (...preferably not just an ordinary clay pot with eyes) and a simple Ground typing. Evolves after being hit with five Grass-type moves OR having a Grass-type in your party during five level-ups. Gains some of the identity from the fifth hit attacker or party Pokemon.

Examples:
    1. Levels alongside a Tropius. Sprouts a little banana tree with large leaves and becomes Ground/Flying.
    2. Suffers from Leech Seed at the hands branches of an Arboliva. Grows a little olive tree upon evolving, on top of becoming Ground/Normal.
    3. Earns five levels with Tangela in the party. Creates a ton of vines. Adds a Grass-typing.

Markets it really easily, as a bonus. (Might be tough to beat the Bulbasaur planters, though.)

Years
  • It is SUPER weird that it took 9 generations for a dolphin AND a flamingo.

As for more:

1. Suprised there isnt a generic roboty pokemon, golerk is like the closest but thats based off golems. Im talking like standard robot. Could evolve into more complicated robots

2. Feel like they could do a wasp or hornet pokemon. 9 gens and only beedrill

3. A zombie pokemon? They have ghost types and mention death in many dex entries i dont see why we cant have a cutesy zombie pokemon

4. A small trainee (normal) that can evolve into a martial master( fighting) or a mindful master ( physic)

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Silvally has some griffin-like features, and the Latis were presented as griffin-like creatures in one of the movie teasers, but I'd still like to see a proper one.

A few ideas based on things I've found IRL:

• Rosy maple moth (I made my own before, but I think an actual rosy maple moth Pokémon would be crossed with maple samaras instead of just evolving from them like mine)
    • A somewhat mammalian "poodle moth" (possible Bug-type Eeveelution, though the colors would probably need to be changed)
    • Convergent slug caterpillar that mimics Shellos (not sure if its evolution would mimic Gastrodon though)
    • A Bug/Dark ambush bug that evolves into an assassin bug
    • A play on orb weaver spiders, where the abdomen can be replaced with various decorative "orbs" that change the arachnid's type, ability, and/or attack(s)
    • Alternatively, a "Pikachu spider" (Micrathena sagittata) that uses its Pikachu-shaped abdomen to lure in prey
    • A mole cricket that is literally part mole and part cricket, though I'd also be happy with a purely insectoid one
    • A coin-mimicking water penny (could evolve into a tortoise beetle instead of an adult water penny beetle since some are gold)
    • Steel blue cricket hunter wasp, counterpart to Scizor
    • Convergent beetle line that mimics Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill (not sure about type but would probably keep Bug)
    • Wireworm (click beetle larva), possibly Electric, Electric/Steel, or Bug/Electric
    • A play on amberwing dragonflies as fossil Pokémon (or possibly a Bug/Fire non-fossil)
    • Calligrapha beetles with an Unown-like gimmick
    • A tufted titmouse that wears fur collected from other Pokémon, could evolve into a blue jay
    • An Ice-type wood frog (already done by some Fakemon artists)
    • Stinkhorns, namely the vibrantly colored ones (I can't help but get Gloom/Vileplume vibes from some of these)
    • A serpentine fossil Pokémon or Legendary based on ancient "scale trees"
    Other ideas:

• Pink fairy armadillo, possibly a Fairy-type regional Sandshrew (also done by some Fakemon artists)

Last edited:

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I'd love to see a cockatiel or cockatoo Pokemon.

A Lucario regional variant that looks more like Anubis would also be super cool.

Also, I know people don't like object Pokemon, but I think it'd be fun to have one based off of an instrument. A number of historical woodwind and brass instruments even have creature themes. Just look up the "Russian Bassoon". The instrument oftentimes has a dragon head for a bell. A Pokemon based off of that would probably be pretty neat.

Years
  • Also, I know people don't like object Pokemon, but I think it'd be fun to have one based off of an instrument. A number of historical woodwind and brass instruments even have creature themes. Just look up the "Russian Bassoon". The instrument oftentimes has a dragon head for a bell. A Pokemon based off of that would probably be pretty neat.

THAT is an idea that im suprised hasn't been done. Have a small instrument evolve into a bigger one which evolves into like a small orchestra or something. Also i personally like most pokemon based on objects to a degree

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Great topic!

I would love to see more Pokémon, Water-type or not, based upon zooids, more specifically siphonophores (which include creatures such as the Portuguese man o' war and the Praya dubia) and pyrosomes. In my opinion, a giant Praya dubia would make a great Pokémon. Not only does it have an interesting appearance, but it also has a real-life ability that seems to function similarly to a Pokémon Ability. It can deploy several toxic tentacles that can paralyze or kill predators upon making contact. That can translate to an Ability similar to Poison Point or Effect Spore.

Giant pyrosomes are not only huge, but they are also bio-luminescent, which allows them to naturally emit a bright light. As a result, I believe they can specialize in light-based moves and could be a Water/Fairy or Water/Electric typing, similar to the Lanturn line. In fact, they don't have to be Water-type at all because that's how creative freedom works.

I would also love to see a Pokémon based upon a stingray. While I am already aware that we have Mantyke and Mantine, they are technically manta rays, not stingrays. I would love to see a Pokémon thus similar to the Mantine line and even function as their counterpart of sorts, but with a long poisonous sword as its "stinger" that allows it to use a ton of poisoning and cutting moves. The new Ability Sharpness could be its primary Ability and it could be a physical attacker. I imagine them being related to each other without sharing an evolutionary line, similar to Toxicroak and Seismitoad or Centiskorch and Scolipede, with Mantine being the friendly one that lets people surf on it for fun and the stingray Pokémon being violent and temperamental in the wild.

I would also love to see a peacock Pokémon. The developers could definitely create a cool concept with the tail and make beautiful designs with the potential colors they could use. For example, it could be scary-looking pattern that could make it use Intimidate, similar to Arbok's pattern and Masqerain's "eyes," or a beautiful Pokémon that could do something similar to Cute Charm. I guess the closest thing we have to a peacock is Quaquaval, but it doesn't really seem too peacocky, if that makes sense, because it applies only to the tail.

It is SUPER weird that it took 9 generations for a dolphin AND a flamingo.

As for more:

1. Suprised there isnt a generic roboty pokemon, golerk is like the closest but thats based off golems. Im talking like standard robot. Could evolve into more complicated robots

2. Feel like they could do a wasp or hornet pokemon. 9 gens and only beedrill

3. A zombie pokemon? They have ghost types and mention death in many dex entries i dont see why we cant have a cutesy zombie pokemon

4. A small trainee (normal) that can evolve into a martial master( fighting) or a mindful master ( physic)

1. I agree with this. I can imagine it being something similar to Wall-E, the character from the Disney movie, or F-00, the prop Pokémon in Pokéstar Studios. Perhaps it could be our first ever Normal/Steel Pokémon too.

2. Don't forget Combee and Vespiquen.

3. The Dragapult line are literally undead Pokémon. You can also make the same argument with Pokémon like Phantump, Yamask, and Cofagrigus too.

4. Sounds like Kubfu and Urshifu, but with Psychic and Fighting rather than Dark and Water.

Silvally has some griffin-like features, and the Latis were presented as griffin-like creatures in one of the movie teasers, but I'd still like to see a proper one.

Silvally is more of a chimera rather than a griffin. Griffins are flying creatures that have features of an eagle and a lion, which Sivally doesn't have.

Last edited:
    Years
  • 1. I agree with this. I can imagine it being something similar to Wall-E, the character from the Disney movie, or F-00, the prop Pokémon in Pokéstar Studios. Perhaps it could be our first ever Normal/Steel Pokémon too.

2. Don't forget Combee and Vespiquen.

3. The Dragapult line are literally undead Pokémon. You can also make the same argument with Pokémon like Phantump, Yamask, and Cofagrigus too.

4. Sounds like Kubfu and Urshifu, but with Psychic and Fighting rather than Dark and Water.

I often forget about combee and vespiquen, but i STILL feel like theres more to be done with bees and wasps

None of what you labeled are really undead in the way im thinking. Dragapult is just a ghostly dragon. And the other 3 you mentioned are just haunted objects. Haunted tree, haunted mask, haunted coffin. Im talking like rotten and dead zombie. Or hey even less forms like a withered and decayed plant pokemon

And yea i GUESS kubfu kinda fits the bill on that but i guess having something abit more common with that gimmick would be neat. I did like it

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Silvally is more of a chimera rather than a griffin. Griffins are flying creatures that have features of an eagle and a lion, which Sivally doesn't have.
    I interpret it as part griffin, part chimera. Appears to have a beak, mammalian ears, wings (well, wing, albeit on its head), talons on its forelegs, paws on its hind legs...

Game Freak likes to mash up ideas, and griffins are chimerical creatures in themselves, so I could see them combining the two.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I had been wanting an Ostrich Pokemon, but gen 9 gave us one at last. We also have a Stork Pokemon now.

A Lama Pokemon could be nice.
    I don't think we have a Turkey Pokemon yet either.
    The closest thing we have to a chicken Pokemon is the Torchic line. Perhaps another Chicken Pokemon or perhaps a Rooster Pokemon =)

Also a Pegasus or a Cockatrice Pokemon.

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • A Lucario regional variant that looks more like Anubis would also be super cool.

Just look up the "Russian Bassoon". The instrument oftentimes has a dragon head for a bell. A Pokemon based off of that would probably be pretty neat.

The Russian Bassoon looks glorious and I'm down for another sound-based dragon. It could be quadrupedal with the bassoon functioning as the body.

And!
    Yes I feel an Anubis-Lucario is long overdue. Waiting for that African region.

Umm speaking of Africa...
    A pokémon based on a cheetah.
    We have a leopard yes but a fresh, electric type physical attacking cheetah.

Next up we could have a bird based on a secretary bird.
    Could be a fight/flying or ground/flying. Ah and these two could be the first router pokémon if there's ever a region based on theAfrican continent.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I admit I have a hard time thinking about new Pokémons, I feel like they already cover the entire biology of our planet XD
    I'd like to see a mosquito Pokémon (other than Buzzwole) and a platypus Pokémon.
    Also I'd like to see a kangaroo that doesn't resemble a fat T-rex.
    Maybe for when we have an Australian-based region?

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I admit I have a hard time thinking about new Pokémons, I feel like they already cover the entire biology of our planet XD

Haha, fair enough

How about we move to some more non-biological inspirations? Like the bassoon.

I was thinking of maybe a charging cable (although Xurkitree seems close to it) and maybe a pokémon based on a wall. Its arms are flat rocks that serve as its defense

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • i just want a frog porcupine pokemon give me one and i'll be happy tl;dr: a Poison type Frog Pokemon with porcupine spikes, I already have a name for it, it's simple: Frogupine. the Frog Porcupine Pokemon. "You just want one because you have an oc that's a frog porcupine." Okay, yes, you got me. That's exactly why I want a Frog Porcupine Pokemon.

Also I want a Fairy/Flying Flying Pokemon give me a Fairy/Flying pig Pokemon, Game Freak or I'll riot.

Last edited:
    Back