• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] Are non-Go players at a disadvantage?

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2018
    This is a sentiment I?ve heard from many people IRL. Couldn?t find a relevant thread on here, so I figured I?d make one. What do you all think?

I have zero interest in Go but I preordered LGE and the Pok?ball Plus just ?cus both are like childhood dreams come true.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I mean if you've never played GO at all, there might be a learning curve that takes getting used to. Other than that I don't really see any other disadvantages, at least in my eyes.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • For those who?ve played GO, they might have Pok?mon available to transfer in right away for use on the games. If anything that would be an incentive to replay the Let?s GO games over and over to train new Pok?mon caught on GO and vice versa. Basically if you weren?t into GO, these games might incentivize you to give it a try. Granted if you don?t have a Cell Phone or tablet(there are people who don?t!) then your up a creek without a paddle as they say.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Ha! GO is nothing complicated. A long term pokemon player like me is certainly more likely to have the advantage

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Not really. If anything Pokemon Go players have it harder... we have to learn to use a controller to throw the ball instead of swirling on the screen.

If we leave our Switch at home and go play Pogo... well... we may end up throwing our phone by accident lol

Everything else will be weird for non Pogo players though...

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Not at all, it's only swinging a controller at the screen, if you can do that then you can play Pokemon Go/Let's Go as easily as anybody else.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Imo, not really, unless you're comparing to someone who never played Pokemon before.

Main advantage is in the ability to complete the Pokedex; you can trade anything missing in LGPE to GO, which would include version exclusives (e.g. Growlithe/Vulpix).
    For those who?ve played GO, they might have Pok?mon available to transfer in right away for use on the games. If anything that would be an incentive to replay the Let?s GO games over and over to train new Pok?mon caught on GO and vice versa. Basically if you weren?t into GO, these games might incentivize you to give it a try. Granted if you don?t have a Cell Phone or tablet(there are people who don?t!) then your up a creek without a paddle as they say.
    I believe you can only transfer from GO to LGPE. The exception is one yet-to-be-revealed new Pokemon which can be sent as a gift to GO. Also, you'd only be able to send Pokemon over roughly midway during LGPE's story.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Imo, not really, unless you're comparing to someone who never played Pokemon before.

Main advantage is in the ability to complete the Pokedex; you can trade anything missing in LGPE to GO, which would include version exclusives (e.g. Growlithe/Vulpix).
    I believe you can only transfer from GO to LGPE. The exception is one yet-to-be-revealed new Pokemon which can be sent as a gift to GO. Also, you'd only be able to send Pokemon over roughly midway during LGPE's story.

When it came to GO, I was under the impression it worked both ways. Pokemon you caught on GO can be moved to Let's GO relatively early(I would think) and vice versa. Even trading, provided you have their new online service(which pisses me off to no end), merely requires that you have caught a Pokemon. Heck I wonder if you could trade your starter like you could in Yellow(wherein you could evolve it and trade it back).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • When it came to GO, I was under the impression it worked both ways. Pokemon you caught on GO can be moved to Let's GO relatively early(I would think) and vice versa. Even trading, provided you have their new online service(which pisses me off to no end), merely requires that you have caught a Pokemon. Heck I wonder if you could trade your starter like you could in Yellow(wherein you could evolve it and trade it back).
    Afraid not. =( As for when, the transfer park shown off in trailers/the E3 demonstration is where the Safari Zone is in other Kanto games, so at least two Gyms and a fair bit of travelling first.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Afraid not. =( As for when, the transfer park shown off in trailers/the E3 demonstration is where the Safari Zone is in other Kanto games, so at least two Gyms and a fair bit of travelling first.

Fair bit of traveling is an understatement.

Brock
    Misty
    SS.Anne
    Rock Tunnel
    Rocket Game Corner
    Pokemon Tower(to get Flute)
    Battle 1 Snorlax(Seashore Route 12 or Cycling Road. Eventually will have to do both but if they keep it like Yellow, that's a given)
    Arrive at Fuchsia City for Safari Zone

Above is a ton of battling just to trade? You were able to trade once you reached Viridian City... smh

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Fair bit of traveling is an understatement.

Brock
    Misty
    SS.Anne
    Rock Tunnel
    Rocket Game Corner
    Pokemon Tower(to get Flute)
    Battle 1 Snorlax(Seashore Route 12 or Cycling Road. Eventually will have to do both but if they keep it like Yellow, that's a given)
    Arrive at Fuchsia City for Safari Zone

Above is a ton of battling just to trade? You were able to trade once you reached Viridian City... smh
    To clarify, this is just to transfer from GO to LGPE. Trading between other LGPE players may well be different/earlier, e.g. via Pokemon Centres. However I don't think anything concrete has been said about that; beyond no GTS or Wonder Trade features. We need to wait for more information there.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    I wouldn't say so, it doesn't seem like Go has influenced these games much outside of catching systems

Years
  • Yes and no.

It's less so that non-Go players are at a disadvantage rather than Go players starting off in an advantageous position to begin with. As soon as you hit the Safari Zone esque area where you're able to transfer your Go Pokemon over to Let's Go, it's massively likely that people are going to start fitting their teams with their Go shinies and legendaries, something non-Go players would find a bit... off-putting.

But otherwise, there's nothing else in these games that act to put non-Go players at a distinct disadvantage, it's just that they're not in an advantangeous position either to really get the most out of these games unless they've played Go, which is a shame.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    Not really.

If you play Go more often, you're gonna have more pokemon to use and depending on the integration of the mechanics, you might find it easier to get into for the Switch game. However, we don't know too much about that yet. I assume that they'll give a small tutorial on how these types of systems work, but I doubt it'll be super hard to comprehend for a newcomer.

Years
  • I do not think so because the pokemon go part is only intended to bring people who like Go into the mainstream pokemon games and teach them the basics of the rpg. Both go and non go players can play the game without difficulty in my opinion.

Back