• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hey guys, quick question!

So I have this Packard Bell desktop (Multimedia L195) and instead of buying a new desktop, I thought it'd be cheaper to just get Windows 98 install floppies. I want to use the latest operating system without having to ditch a system I love.

I have 32 MB of RAM and a 3.2 GB hard drive, if that means anything. So should I go about using the upgrade path or buy a new computer? Thanks!

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    No reason not to go for an update. In fact, you already have an almost complete Win98 install. The only thing you need to do is remove C:\WINDOWS\System and reboot and then you should have it fully set up.

The only reason nobody knows about that method is because M$ prevented it from spreading. They just really like money, you know.

Years
  • No reason not to go for an update. In fact, you already have an almost complete Win98 install. The only thing you need to do is remove C:\WINDOWS\System and reboot and then you should have it fully set up.

The only reason nobody knows about that method is because M$ prevented it from spreading. They just really like money, you know.
    Thanks but why would I want to remove the system folder?

Guest123_x1

So I have this Packard Bell desktop (Multimedia L195) and instead of buying a new desktop, I thought it'd be cheaper to just get Windows 98 install floppies. I want to use the latest operating system without having to ditch a system I love.
    You'd have to special-order a floppy version of Windows 98, most likely.
    I have 32 MB of RAM and a 3.2 GB hard drive, if that means anything. So should I go about using the upgrade path or buy a new computer? Thanks!
    32MB of RAM should be sufficient to run Windows 98, though you may want to delete stuff you don't need to free up disk space for the upgrade. And, if I were you, I'd do a clean install, particularly if your system has been used for a long enough time to have accumulated bloat (such as the Registry being full of information from uninstalled programs, etc.)

Heheheheheheh! :P ;) ^_^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back