• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
Years
  • When writing a fic, do you plan ahead what the topic of each chapter will be, or do you make it up as you go along?

I usually plan what's going to happen in the future of a story and am completely clueless as to what will go on in the chapters up until then. It's the same with my current story. I know how things are going to end for one character, and I know there will be romance for another two (possibly four, if my daydream this morning was any indication) but as of writing Chapter Fourteen, I don't have a clue what Fifteen will include.

~Golden

Bay

Years
  • When writing a fic, do you plan ahead what the topic of each chapter will be, or do you make it up as you go along?

I usually plan ahead what's going to happen in the story and thought about what I want each chapter to be about, but there are times I do make last minute changes if I felt an idea is better than the original and such. I usually do outlines but I tend to change things around, sometimes a lot like my endings. For some reason the endings don't go as I plan the first time around. XD

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    A bit of both - usually it's the outline of the story that I've planned, but also a fair few jokes and scenes are also pre-planned (including one which I'm looking forward to writing :) ). Some of my stuff have been 'on the spot' as well though during the writing, but I make sure it works before posting. One of my characters in fact had been inspired on the spot, who featured more than I though he would.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

Occasionally, I try to plan ahead, but then I fail at keeping to the plan and just make up stuff as I go along. For example, the latest chapter of Midsummer Knights? Yeah, there was going to be an epic battle between Viola and her doppelganger. What happened instead? My characters run off and have happy times and political talk. Granted, it's leading to an awesome plot point, but still.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Occasionally, I try to plan ahead, but then I fail at keeping to the plan and just make up stuff as I go along. For example, the latest chapter of Midsummer Knights? Yeah, there was going to be an epic battle between Viola and her doppelganger. What happened instead? My characters run off and have happy times and political talk. Granted, it's leading to an awesome plot point, but still.
    Yeah, similar things happened to me as well. My last two chapter had originally been meant to be one decent-sized chapters in my plan, only they turned out to be 13 and 14 pages each respectively. Another scene I had planned in an eariler chapter got shifted back far later as well. So I am planning but also changing that plan as I go.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

I make it up, more or less. Now I obviosuly flesh it out in my head a bit, but otherwise it's pretty free-flow.

This has made me good at catching plot holes. I think that speaks for itself, though.

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
    Years
    'T's my ideal state, though I hardly ever manage it. I know the direction of the story, but few more details than this; I often don't know what exact events I will depict, or how far I plan to have the story go on. I have been endeavouring towards some sort of planned system, however, with some success.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    When writing a fic, do you plan ahead what the topic of each chapter will be, or do you make it up as you go along?

A little of both. I "plan" just enough so I know the bare bones of what I want to happen in the chapter, and then just write the chapter in question and see what happens.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • Have you ever really looked forward to writing a scene of a fic, only to have trouble writing it when you actually got to where it was needed?

Bay

Years
  • Have you ever really looked forward to writing a scene of a fic, only to have trouble writing it when you actually got to where it was needed?

Many times. XD There are times I have scenes for "Destiny's Tricks" and "Nothing, Everything" already played out in my head but then when I try to write it I can't seem to. >.> However, most of the time if I cant' be able to write I just take a break from my stories and then after a while I then begin writing again. :)

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years

Many times. XD There are times I have scenes for "Destiny's Tricks" and "Nothing, Everything" already played out in my head but then when I try to write it I can't seem to. >.> However, most of the time if I cant' be able to write I just take a break from my stories and then after a while I then begin writing again. :)

I think it is that 'take a break' time that normally makes me hit a wall with my writing to where it's hard to start again. Maybe it is because I feel that the scene is so important it has to be perfect? I'm not sure...:P

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • I think it is that 'take a break' time that normally makes me hit a wall with my writing to where it's hard to start again. Maybe it is because I feel that the scene is so important it has to be perfect? I'm not sure...:P

Yeah... I know the feeling.

In answer to earlier questions, the reason I get upset about my names being called "blasphemic" is that the word pretty much means "offensive to God". And I'm a person of faith. But besides that, it was just plain mean of you to declare that ACC-M and Art Critic Cubone were both offensive in God's eyes, along with the new username. 0.o

And no, I wasn't really all the angry. I just decided to be... EDGY. *transforms into grunge rocker*

Well, maybe not THAT edgy. *switches back*

NEW QUESTION? OH NOEZ!!!

To what extent is "Screwing with the Rules" permissible? That is, how far for the sake of a fanfiction is it permissible to deviate from the canon material of the games or anime, depending on which is being used?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years

It's me wanting to write certain scenes that keeps me updating. In my first fic, there was a scene that I wanted to write so badly that I planned everything before it but nothing after it. I eventually got to the scene but fell into a long period of writer's block, and eventually quit the fic.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • To what extent is "Screwing with the Rules" permissible? That is, how far for the sake of a fanfiction is it permissible to deviate from the canon material of the games or anime, depending on which is being used?
    I think it depends on the reader. Some people just hold the canon rules of the pokemon world more to heart than others. So you might get half of the reviewers saying your idea is fresh and new and the best thing to happen to pokemon in years, while the same idea might have die hard canon lovers flaming you over something as little as making your pokeballs change color when you catch a shiny :P

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • To what extent is "Screwing with the Rules" permissible? That is, how far for the sake of a fanfiction is it permissible to deviate from the canon material of the games or anime, depending on which is being used?

Rule of Thumb #1: When you stick so much to the original canon of, for example, the games that you're basically writing the same plot as 2910821720 other OT fics that retell the game with an OC main character, that's a bad thing.

Rule of Thumb #2: When Ash Ketchum has an IQ of 9000, that's also a bad thing.

Seriously, though, in my opinion, I'd say that these are the rules of sticking to canon, more or less. They should give you a brief outline of which way I think is too far.

1. Retconning events that actually happened in the games/anime/whatever canon you're using (that aren't contradicted later on in the same canon) without putting an AU tag on your fic is deviating from canon.
    1a. Therefore, retconning is really only permissable in the cases of Alternate Universe fics or where you actually have to choose one continuum over the other because the canon itself contradicts... itself. (Case and point: Jessie and James' backstory.)
    1b. Also permissable: If you haven't actually caught up with the current canon or started writing before certain points were made canon. For example, if Ash goes off to a new region and catches completely new Pokemon, and you're in the middle of an epic that you started while he was still in Sinnoh, then that's completely okay and doesn't need an AU tag (unless you want one).

2. Although Pokemon canon doesn't focus too much on characterization, each character does have his or her unique traits that make them definitely them. So, for example, Ash Ketchum would be the least likely person to suddenly become sarcastic and cynical, so making him such for the sake of a story would be a bit out of bounds.
    2a. This goes especially for romance stories, which are notorious for disregarding this point.

3. A five-ounce bird cannot carry a one-pound coconut. Pokemon appearances, movesets, heights, weights, and 'dex entries are all canon. It's a good idea to look up what a Pokemon can or cannot do before attempting to make it do something it actually can't, possibly because it's physically impossible.
    3a. However, giving a Pokemon a move it can't learn may be kosher in the cases where it's logical (as in, possible based on the Pokemon's body) and can be explained by backstory or plot points (as opposed to doing it just for the sake of doing it -- a la Exploding Charizard).

4. Adding houses and locations to game environments is perfectly kosher, considering the fact that no city in the world has a population of five.
    4a. Simply not mentioning certain places that appear in canon is also kosher, especially if you're working with the anime, which had an entire season devoted to doing this.
    4b. However, drastically altering the environment (such as turning Ecruteak City into Las Vegas) is not kosher. Analyze the canon places to get a sense of what sort of culture you're working with before doing any changes.

5. In other words, the reader needs to be able to recognize the canon people, places, elements, and events. If you change them to the point where the reader suddenly feels like they're completely new people/places/elements, then you've probably gone too far.
    5a. However, don't ever restrict yourself so much that you basically retell the canon (unless that's your actual intention). In some cases, it's not possible to stick completely to canon. (For example, if Misty told the story of how Ash got the Cascade Badge, she wouldn't tell it the same way Ash sees it and may exaggerate or leave out certain details.)
    5b. In other words, always try to find a happy medium.

May add a few other rules later. Or extend this list to other topics for my personal reference. This is kinda fun.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • I think it is that 'take a break' time that normally makes me hit a wall with my writing to where it's hard to start again. Maybe it is because I feel that the scene is so important it has to be perfect? I'm not sure...:P

Well, maybe I'm different, but usually whenever I'm having trouble writing a scene out, I take a break so that I won't get stressed out. Eventually, after being refreshed, I manage to have a clearer head and managed to write that scene out. ^^

To what extent is "Screwing with the Rules" permissible? That is, how far for the sake of a fanfiction is it permissible to deviate from the canon material of the games or anime, depending on which is being used?

Also agree with Orange Flaffy with her answer that it depends. You have the reviewers that say "screw the rules" and others that would really criticize for breaking canon. As for me, I admit I'm not too critical over canon but as long as some rules are not broken, like say some Pokemon learning certain moves they can't learn in canon (unless there's a really good reason for it), then I'm cool.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years

I really struggled with a certain... 'mature' scene, which I hadn't exactly looked forward to but had known that I had to write. I had to sit there for hours and listen to one song over and over to get an idea in my mind, then had to repeatedly edit when it was done so that it was clear what happened without anything actually happening in the scene itself.

I am one of those people who likes to stick to canon in some things. I created my own Poke Ball theory which adherees to canon. Trainers start at the age of ten. People can only have six Pokemon with them. But, on other things, I avoid it as much as possible. My nurses all have different names, some are male, and they're not all young and cheerful. I see the move 'Force Palm' as an actual open-handed blow rather than whatever the heck it is in the anime. And I won't even go into the details of the contest scene I attempted to write for later on in the story and eventually cut out because of the violence and gore.

So, I think as long as it's within reason, anything is possible in stories. And sometimes the canon doesn't even make sense. Think of the size of a Starly. Then imagine a trainer flying halfway across the region on a Starly. Not going to happen.

~Golden

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Yeah, especially more emotional scenes and "epic" battles.

I'm of the opinion that canon should be adhered to, but with some flexibility. It has to retain enough canon so that's recognizable as a Pokemon fic, but certain elements are not set in stone. No professor is gonna let a 54-year old begin a Pokemon journey (unless it's part of a 'To Catch A Predator'-like sting, which I may write a one-shot about). Pokemon are not suddenly going to decide to stop battling and become NASCAR superstars (ZOMG Tony Stewart is a Lucario o_O). Certain things should not be messed with, or else your writing fails to be "fan" fiction anymore.

However, who says all nurses have to be Joys? Who says major-name hotels can't be used by trainers? And, as I mentioned before, any Pokemon that can rush in at an opponent should be able to use "Tackle." There's definitely room for freedom while sticking within the basic tenets of canon.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Yes-ish. :) There's a few - and the point that I am up to now was the point I was think about a fair bit when I started my story, in fact. But with some scenes I've been looking forward to, it has usually been glitch-free, but not always... one took it's sweet time. I do find stuff I don't strictly 'plan' as easy to write though though, until I force myself to sit down and not get distracted. :P

There's a line, but I can't really define where it is. It's going to be different for most people, but there is such a thing as too far...
    My story has a bit to do with it - it is based on Pokemon Colossseum, which had many things missing, and plotholes, so one could say my fic is my 'additions' to the canon, as I explain things and develop characters. :)

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • Gah... I'm stuck again! Maybe this is just a brainfart, but I'm having a hard time making sense of this one thing... I was wondering, has anyone ever had a part of a fic where a trainer's Pokemon tried to actually off its trainer for any reason? I'm trying to play this one part of Feral Twilight out so that it doesn't seem so staged that involves how one of the fakemon Jay has, which is supposed to be a deadly forest predator known to go wild from time to time, turns savage during this battle he has with Miror B. and tries to kill a Pokemon Miror has. The thing about it is that its a shadow Pokemon, though Jay doesn't learn it at the time and thinks his Pokemon's just being nasty. While trying to recall it, Jay gets knocked down by his Pokemon and then it tries to strike him with an attack that is meant for killing in the wild. Before it strikes though, the ball automatically recalls the Pokemon. But, I'm just wondering if this sounds like it would happen, where the Pokemon would turn on its trainer like that with intent to kill. This makes sense to anyone? No matter how I play it out in my head it just doesn't sound right...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back