• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battles that were easier than you had expected.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • Title is self explainatory. So what are some case where you had a battle, any battle, where you were expectin to flunk badly, but then did okay?

For me, i swept the Water trail in my Sun nuzrun with a freaking Gastly. Yes thats right. All it took was a Curse attack, a Sitrus berry, the Totem derping and using Soak (thats totally gonna be useful if Water gun is literally your only attack), the totem not summoning an Alomomola, and Gastly having Hidden power Electric. And did i mention that Soak was totally a good descision, cause the Totem's little friend tried to Faint attack my Ghost which could have killed him...if he lost his Ghost typing because of Soak.

So has there ever been a case where you thought something bad might happen, but things ended up going smoothly?

Years
  • It was VC Gold, and I was planning on soloing Whtiney with my Quilava for shits and giggles. I had zero expectations of winning and all of my expectations were going towards Quilava kissing the ground due to Miltank's Rollout.

Interestingly enough, Whitney ended up being one of my easiest Gym Battles! Thanks to smokescreen spam, Miltank couldn't even lay one attack on me so really I just spammed Ember on it to death.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    In my Shiny-only run in X, I was expecting Grant to destroy my team, consisting of Braixen, Gulpin and an underleveled Mawile. Suprisingly, my Mawile destroyed his team (even though it also had terrible moves). I had prepared a lot for this battle and it was so easy, I was pretty confused because I remembered him being kinda tough.

Years
  • In VC Silver, I was more concerned about the battle with Morty than I was with Whitney, because I've always struggled more in his gym than in hers. When it came time for it, the battle with Morty's Gengar itself wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated and the battle took all of a few minutes before it was over.

Years
    • Seen today
    Everything in Silver when I replayed it. I don't remember losing to anyone

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • The Hoenn Elite Four. I'm not sure why they ended up being a good 10 levels lower than pretty much every other E4 in Pokémon - there's nothing in the game's level curve that suggests that being necessary. But yeah I pretty much swept them in both RSE and ORAS.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    Fighting Wally at the end of Victory Road in Omega Ruby.
    I was super nervous about fighting him especially because of his Gallade. Though the battle ended up running very smooth. I kind of was expecting Wally to hit me pretty hard a few times, but he never really did.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Red in Pokemon Gold. I struggled with the Elite Four (probably because I was only using an unevolved Totodile), but somehow, I ended up with an actual (albeit unbalanced) team by the time I got to Red. I thought I would struggle, since the Elite Four was supposed to be hard, but I found the battle surprisingly easy. In fact, I was so disappointed that I didn't struggle with it that I ended up turning the game after I beat Red for the first time so that everything wouldn't be over so soon (I didn't realize at that point that I could rematch him). He wasn't any harder the second time I battled him, either.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Red in Pokemon Gold. I struggled with the Elite Four (probably because I was only using an unevolved Totodile), but somehow, I ended up with an actual (albeit unbalanced) team by the time I got to Red. I thought I would struggle, since the Elite Four was supposed to be hard, but I found the battle surprisingly easy. In fact, I was so disappointed that I didn't struggle with it that I ended up turning the game after I beat Red for the first time so that everything wouldn't be over so soon (I didn't realize at that point that I could rematch him). He wasn't any harder the second time I battled him, either.
    What levels were you at? That's like, generally considered a pretty tough battle lol

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    What levels were you at? That's like, generally considered a pretty tough battle lol

Don't quite remember at this point. I want to say that Totodile was in the low to mid 70s (it was at 65 when I beat the Elite Four, and I don't think it gained that much in Kanto because I started training other things), and the rest of my Pokemon were in the 50s maybe? I know I had added a lot more of my team by then, but I know some of my team members didn't get fully trained up for quite a while. (And I had a pretty unbalanced team, too - Totodile, Blastoise, Quagsire, Pikachu, Hoothoot [didn't evolve it for a few more years], and filler.) Looking back on it, I wouldn't call it a particularly well-prepared team, which I think is part of why it threw me so much that I found the battle pretty straightforward.

Back