• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you deal with starters in Rom Hacks

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    In Gamefreak games you get 1 starter at the beginning of your journey and maybe another one near the end and that's it. In romhacks however people regularly make it possible to complete a pokedex without the need of trading with other games.

So, how do you deal with starters in your hack?

Do you make 1 or even 0 available?
    Can you find them as regular wild pokemon in the grass?
    Can you buy/win/gift/in game trade them?

Do you include them all or only use a selected few?

Interested how you deal with them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    I wont include all of them as im not a fan of including all Pokemon, however the ones i include can be found in the wild like regular Pokemons.

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    Nerf starters and make them normal pokémon. I never like using starters because it just seems like a freebie

Years
    • Seen today
    I think max 2-3 starters (from different gens) obtainable at different points during the main game is a good balance. Then, if you want the rest, you can get them in the post-game in the wild, or via NPC trade, event, prize or whatever method.

Part of the reason why starters feel so special is that you have to make an important choice. If you could just get any of them late in the game anyway that choice would have been pretty meaningless. That's why I wouldn't just throw starters in the wild or put NPCs giving them away so easily.

Back