• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FLCL Being Brought Back

Years
  • Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • giphy.gif

(seriously, why?)

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    Dammit, Yoshiyuki, get back to work on Evangelion :D

Joking aside... why? And how will this work?

Years
  • Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • All these negative responses here in PC; meanwhile, users outside of PC are actually excited about this news. Is there some sort of entitlement within PC's anime/manga community?
    but there's only one negative comment tho

Also, yes, KYM is less than a representative source for anime fans at large. Also not sure how that implies entitlement. Hell, if there were a lot of negative comments here it'd imply the opposite.

And considering the studio, and how it came into being, I see a lot less reason to be excited so much as confused or rightly skeptical. It's easy to get excited over a name alone, but when you look at all the factors, this sequel doesn't inspire much faith.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • And considering the studio, and how it came into being, I see a lot less reason to be excited so much as confused or rightly skeptical.
    FLCL was made by Gainax AND Production I.G. So there's every bit of possibility that the staff who worked on the original would help out directly or indirectly with this project. I honestly don't see why the skepticism would arise due to the staff/studio.

If anything, I'd be skeptical because of nothing but the fact that FLCL, despite being wacky as it was, ended. And I honestly don't see how they can expand on the story without fucking something up. Counter argument being the fact that there's not really much you can do to fuck up something like FLCL since the original was mostly Sakuga: The anime with a great soundtrack and crazy shit happening every second. Which I can't really deny, tbh. But yeah.

It'd work maaaaaaaybe if they used the original universe and create something crazy with different characters and whatnot. But idk about it getting a direct sequel. Anyone would be skeptical about that.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • FLCL was made by Gainax AND Production I.G. So there's every bit of possibility that the staff who worked on the original would help out directly or indirectly with this project. I honestly don't see why the skepticism would arise due to the staff/studio.
    I suppose, but mentioning one without the other should raise some eyebrows in itself. And did, I imagine. Especially with the added Toonami actively working with them.

For me, though, I won't really be convinced of anything until we see a director. And writers, for that matter, because FLCL was definitely stranger in its writing/dialog and, I suppose by extension, it's narrative as a whole moreso than its visual eccentricities.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Why this instead of a classic anime that could use a new season.

Like, you know, Big O?

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I suppose, but mentioning one without the other should raise some eyebrows in itself. And did, I imagine. Especially with the added Toonami actively working with them.

For me, though, I won't really be convinced of anything until we see a director. And writers, for that matter, because FLCL was definitely stranger in its writing/dialog and, I suppose by extension, it's narrative as a whole moreso than its visual eccentricities.
    Gainax would honestly not inspire much confidence in me these days, though. They're a shell of their former selves. I didn't even pick up their recent show to watch. Not many did. I.G itself has been doing pretty well though and I've loved most of the shows they've been doing recently. So seeing their name anywhere automatically makes me feel better about the series in question.

Them doing it with Trigger, on the other hand, would've been a different story altogether. Since I suppose most of the original Gainax staff that worked on this went over to Trigger (Imaishi and the gang). THAT would've actually changed opinions of a lot of people, I suppose.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. The director will determine the fate of the series. Hand it over to a newb and it is done for. But it is gonna be an IG work. I trust IG so I'll be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Years
  • Spoiler: FLCL Spoilers
    I've seen some rumors if not outright details straight from Toonami's PRs that Naota is not returning, but Haruko is, since they feel Naota's story is done, but Haruko's is not.

Not sure about the Toonami part, but whatever. FLCL is always welcome.

The original IGPX shorts were a coproduction that was done between the current head of Toonami, Jason DeMarco, and Production IG, so there's past precedent that it will at least be watchable, most likely.

I suppose, but mentioning one without the other should raise some eyebrows in itself. And did, I imagine. Especially with the added Toonami actively working with them.

Production IG bought the rights from Gainax outright back in August. Gainax also lost a significant amount of talent to Studio Trigger, too.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ghts-for-ventures-such-as-anime-remake/.92335

Why this instead of a classic anime that could use a new season.

Like, you know, Big O?

Whilst it was popular in it's day Big O is tiny compared to FLCL nowadays.

Shame as a new spike in Dorothy artwork would have been good.

That had its shot. Season 2 had middling sales in both Japan and NA, which caused Cartoon Network to back out. And a lot of anime fans don't really know about Big O these days. Personally, it never really resonated with me, but FLCL didn't really either aside from its fantastic soundtrack.

IIRC, season 2 of Big O also got kind of, well, weird.

Back