• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Killing spiders

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I don't like killing insects and tend to just leave spiders alone or move them elsewhere

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Most of the spiders we get are harmless. Specifically some light colored ones and speckled brown and beige fat ones. I don't really do anything with them unless asked, then I put them outside.

Edit: THESE GUYS. They hang out in the woods and are so fucking fat and suddenly there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araneus_diadematus

That's another kind of garden orb weaver! So cute ahhh (♡°▽°♡) we get those everywhere but I leave them be because they're most comfortable in their massive webs and I don't have a terrarium big enough.

@gimme: tarantulas aren't true spiders. Not that anyone actually cares 8 legs = spider. But yeah! Technically they are not a 'true' spider like the Huntsman or the Red Back.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I mostly try to ignore spiders, they just eat other bugs ang go on with their merry lives.

Unless they're big and fat. That triggers a primal impulse to kill.

Like, daddy long legs, sure, whatever, live and let live. That big fat brown spider someone posted above? Makes my monkey brain go "Poison, kill it before it bites you on your sleep".

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I mostly try to ignore spiders, they just eat other bugs ang go on with their merry lives.

Unless they're big and fat. That triggers a primal impulse to kill.

Like, daddy long legs, sure, whatever, live and let live. That big fat brown spider someone posted above? Makes my monkey brain go "Poison, kill it before it bites you on your sleep".

Don't worry, they're completely harmless to humans and their venom is about as bad as a mosquito bite. Just a red itchy bump, nothing at all to worry about. Just don't go touching their webs.

If anything, spiders that don't make webs (like the aforementioned Huntsman, Jumpers, Wolf, and a few Crab spiders) are much more notorious for being spooky. A spider that you can see in its web is fine — a spider you know is there but can't see is another thing entirely.

Anyway, sorry for taking up this thread with spider bs. I'm a recovered arachnophobe and I did it through education and exposure therapy, so I just want people to not be frightened by our little friends. You are free to deal with any spider as you please!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Half the time I'll kill them and half the time I'll put them outside.

Years
  • My live-and-let-live attitude towards spiders and all manner of other creepy crawlies ends where I begin, where my food begins, or where the inside begins. My go-to method is just to smack it as hard as I can and then flush it down the toilet.

Back